Does prayer work?

Parking Lot

Old 09-11-2007, 12:31 AM   #76
jsarno
Franchise Player

Re: Does prayer work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy Baugh Fan View Post
I logged in this morning and PM'd you back.
Noone can show you proof of prayers working. I gave you some examples of His hands in my life and my Faith and Hope and the Peace I have.

Keep the Faith baby brother. Maybe after you pray just take some time and be quite. Try not to think and work it out just be still and quiet for a while and Know He is God.

I'm a Prayer Warrior and will lift you and your wife up in Prayer that He reveals Himself to you and draws you nearer to Himself.

peace
mike

You have my cell number in PM and feel free to call anytime.

I appreciate you kind words and willingness to help.

For me, it's very hard to keep my mind quiet. I have a never ending working mind. I am a problem solver and I am the one everyone goes to for answers. Just having trouble solving my own problems right now.
I am only sleeping 4 hours a night (if I'm lucky) cause my mind won't shut off.
I just need to find the light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm hoping God will show me the light.

Advertisements
Old 09-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #77
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

Hang in there man but remember the light at the end of the tunnel could be an oncoming train. lol
Sorry to throw a bummer at ya man.

Yer gonna be fine and I can't wait to hear ow God blesses you.

Hang in there Snoop!
peace
Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #78
Bushead
Impact Rookie

OH sweet jesus, i think about all this stuff all the time. Not making it any better is me being in an Ethics class and a Religious studies class.
Bushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #79
12thMan
MVP

I think prayer is as mysterious as the existence of God himself, angels, demons, heaven or hell. So it's quite difficult to quantify results from a spiritual perspective as we're dealing with a world we can't see, looking for results in a world we can see. With that in mind I don't think prayer is as simple as a hit or miss proposition.

When I think of prayer, or when I pray, it involves a dialogue with God. So prayer to me is based on my relationship with God. I think in the context of a relationship with God, an answered prayer may be connected to another set of realities unbeknownst to me at the time of my petition. In other words, the results I want may not always be in my best interest; "Thy will be done."

While meditation is a matter of keeping the body, mind, and spirit quiet and bringing them all in unisome...or at least to the extent where some form of clarity can be attained, prayer on the other hand, by neccessity, involves a greater force or being outside of yourself. Someone that has the power to act and intervene in such a way that you or I never could.

That's my take on it.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #80
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushead View Post
OH sweet jesus, i think about all this stuff all the time. Not making it any better is me being in an Ethics class and a Religious studies class.
You might want to think about changing your avatar! LOL.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #81
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy Baugh Fan View Post
Hang in there man but remember the light at the end of the tunnel could be an oncoming train. lol
Sorry to throw a bummer at ya man.

Yer gonna be fine and I can't wait to hear ow God blesses you.

Hang in there Snoop!
peace
Thanks for all your help...you've really helped me keep some faith.
I do need some advice on how to let go though. I try but I don't seem to be able to let go. I'll tell myself to let go and relax and let God take over, and I feel relaxed for 5 minutes or so, then all the stress comes charging back into my mind.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #82
djnemo65
Playmaker

Well the definitive study to date was not able to demonstrate any efficacy for focused prayer. Long-Awaited Medical Study Questions the Power of Prayer - New York Times

I am uncertain about the potential for prayer to work, just because their is so much about the human mind we don't understand. However, I have a tough time believing there is some God listening to each prayer and capriciously deciding which to answer. After all, if there is someone up there who allowed 6 million Jews to be killed during WW2 but can take the time to fill up someone's stove, that's someone I can't really roll with.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 PM   #83
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

My Grandaddy said once..."If God came down and explained it to you yer tiny human mind could still not understand."

In some parts that sounds right but really God is so awesome if He explained it to you, you would understand. Tough part is He does not.

When He gave us Free Will which gives us the choice to reject Him, He also gave us Faith to Trust in Him. I got no "proof" God answers prayers.

If I may add what I have ben taught about Prayer comes in Red Letters. Jesus said when praying give God His due and God, it say ask for forgivness for falling short of His Glory, He says the give thanks for our simple means and ask to be not led into sin. Then in a small part it's an "ask for me" thing. "Give us this day our daily bread".

Then He says to ask for God to have His Will, not ours. God has great plans for jsarno and it's right for jsarno to be looking to care for his family. But how much more is God looking for the best for his family? Much more I say and I believe.

I think if we think of prayer as a "Give me, look at me, help me" thing we fall short of what God wants. Prayer is a way of getting in line with God and not having God get in line with us.

If God gets in line with me were all in trouble.

Hang in there folks and keep the faith if'n ya have it so far.
~smiles!
peace

Maybe you should email Coach Gibbs. He'll tell ya to keep the Faith man!
mike
Old 09-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #84
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

I want to say thanks to you guys. The topic ignites much on both sides of believing on God and ya'll said yer thoughts and didn't put others down. That rare in forums.

Bravo and thanks for the respect on all sides
Old 09-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #85
Schneed10
A Dude

Philosophically speaking, I actually don't like the idea that prayer works.

Let's say I wanted to become a professional golfer. I quit my day job, I work my tail off by practicing 8 hours a day, I eat well, I pay for lessons, I pay for the best equipment, and I even pray a little. And let's say after 5 years I finally make it on tour, and even place in the top 10 in a tournament. To think that the prayer could be responsible for my success and happiness would seriously piss me off. It was my hard work, my blood and sweat that got me there. To think God was responsible, I don't like that idea.

That's a hypothetical. But success in my current career, success in my marriage, success in having a harmonious and happy family; I'd be real pissed if that was God doing that. I made all of those things happen, along with help from my family. God gave me the free will to make choices. I chose to work hard and surround myself with good people. He deserves no credit beyond credit for giving me free will, I did the rest.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #86
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Philosophically speaking, I actually don't like the idea that prayer works.

Let's say I wanted to become a professional golfer. I quit my day job, I work my tail off by practicing 8 hours a day, I eat well, I pay for lessons, I pay for the best equipment, and I even pray a little. And let's say after 5 years I finally make it on tour, and even place in the top 10 in a tournament. To think that the prayer could be responsible for my success and happiness would seriously piss me off. It was my hard work, my blood and sweat that got me there. To think God was responsible, I don't like that idea.

That's a hypothetical. But success in my current career, success in my marriage, success in having a harmonious and happy family; I'd be real pissed if that was God doing that. I made all of those things happen, along with help from my family. God gave me the free will to make choices. I chose to work hard and surround myself with good people. He deserves no credit beyond credit for giving me free will, I did the rest.
Why is it OK to thank your family for help, but not God?

I have a great relationship with my wife because God is in focus for both of us. God helps us have a great relationship. I don't begrudge him for that. Sure I looked for a certain type of woman, and I have worked hard to have a great relationship with her, but I'll give credit to God too for helping us. It doesn't take anything away from what I did.
I'd gladly give God credit if he wanted to make me the next Tiger Woods. Ultimately, I would still have to practice and work at it, but I could see it as "we are working together".
Old 09-12-2007, 02:00 AM   #87
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Why is it OK to thank your family for help, but not God?
Because they're willing to physically care for you if you're bed ridden? What I mean is they are real and they can provide measurable physical support. You know exactly what you're going to get from them.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:02 AM   #88
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Because they're willing to physically care for you if you're bed ridden? What I mean is they are real and they can provide measurable physical support. You know exactly what you're going to get from them.
Uh oh...I should have never posed that question because this thread will become a religious debate.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:25 AM   #89
saden1
MVP

Lets put it another way:

a) If two people are standing in front of a door you're about to go through and one of them holds the door open for you who do you thank?

b) You are ill, your church patrons get money together to help you out in your time of need, who deserves to be thanked?

All I'm saying is give credit where it's due and like I said before when bad things happen god never gets blamed, but when good things happen he gets all the credit. Sounds like double standard to me.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:27 AM   #90
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

I won't debate religion in this thread or at this site.

The guy said he believes in God and he says he prays please don't try to put down his beliefs and prove them wrong. The guy is asking for some help and support are you helping or hurting him?

I disagree with where the above person would give credit. I personally would give credit to God and thanks those people for being God's on the ground hands and feet.

Last month at Walter Reed I was serving God through serving food to them wounded soldiers. I was blessed that God used me of all people to do some of His good works.

That's my faith and I'm sticking with it.
peace, faith and love and the greatest is LOVE
<><