Start John Beck Madness Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #76
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Start John Beck Madness Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
No. What happens if you replace him and Beck comes in and plays worse? Go back to Rex? Hell no. You don't pull Rex until it starts costing us games, at that point, you put in Beck and roll with him the rest of the way.
I'll throw in my own cliche. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

My main reason for considering Beck in the first place is a downward trend the last two games. And the usual excuses for poor QB play weren't in place for this game. The running game was excellent as was the protection (0 sacks on the day with only 4 QB hits). If you can get the Rex you got in week 1 then awesome, you don't replace that guy. However the guy we've seen the last two weeks at QB isn't that hard to replace. Also don't forget this is our bye week. If you're going to attempt a switch this is the ideal time.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #77
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
What happens if Rex costs us a game or two and Beck comes in and plays really well?
the defense and running game carried us?

either way it doesnt matter to me. personally i never thought rex had a super strong arm but i thought we'd be seeing more of a PA long ball than we have seen so far. i dont remember may passes over the top so far this year. we've had a good bit of 20+ pass plays but nothing over the top which i thought our running game then PA roll out would set up.

ps dirt i meant to mention that. from the surface a what? 15 for 31, 149pass yds, 1 td 2 int stat line is piss poor for a qb who got sacked zero times. is that possibly they worst stat line, qb rating for a qb who got sacked zero times? elias sports bureau? i think his qb rating was 49 or something

Last edited by over the mountain; 10-02-2011 at 05:51 PM.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:51 PM   #78
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
the defense and running game carried us?

either way it doesnt matter to me. personally i never thought rex had a super strong arm but i thought we'd be seeing more of a PA long ball than we have seen so far. i dont remember may passes over the top so far this year. we've had a good bit of 20+ pass plays but nothing over the top which i thought our running game then PA roll out would set up.
That part has confused me this year. Where did the "f**k it I'm going deep" "chicks dig the long ball" jokes start? And it's ironic to, in the offseason Beck was the guy with the pop gun arm and Grossman was the guy that could push the ball downfield.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 10-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #79
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Exactly we can go back and forth that's why I don't tend to pay attention to the "well he could have an interception there" argument because it's easy to counter one "he could have" with another.
True, except with Rex, when it's late in the game, he makes mistake after mistake and it's been the knock on him his whole career.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #80
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Same thing that happens if you keep in Rex and he fumbles twice and throws 3 picks? But if Beck does it then fine you put back in Rex. Still Rex doesn't have the production to justify not considering Beck going into the bye.

I mean why do we keep on saying that the Redskins need to recreate the Hogs but God forbid we consider a QB switch, the type of coaching move that was seen relatively frequently during Gibbs I. By the way Shanahan isn't scared to bench a QB either. He benched Plummer in favor of a rookie Cutler when Plummer was a year removed from the Pro Bowl.

The bottom line is whats best for the team.

I would say that Rex doesn't have the lack of production to consider Beck. I would agree, however, that Beck doesn't have the production to consider Beck.lol

You go to Beck now you have to stick with him - barring an injury. That is the main reason I don't think it will happen. Shanny is not willing to make that gamble and potentially tank the season with the team sitting where it is. He would look like a fool if Beck came in and struggled - losing games single-handedly.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #81
over the mountain
Playmaker

rex arm looked pretty live last year, this year not so much. i had to turn the radio dial this preseason when a natl nfl expert said rex had above avg arm strength. not this year, that expert must not have watched many rex games preseason.20-30 yds hes good enough, 40 plus yards .. well i dont think ive seen him throw a bomb inside the play of field yet.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #82
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I would say that Rex doesn't have the lack of production to consider Beck. I would agree, however, that Beck doesn't have the production to consider Beck.lol

You go to Beck now you have to stick with him - barring an injury. That is the main reason I don't think it will happen. Shanny is not willing to make that gamble and potentially tank the season with the team sitting where it is. He would look like a fool if Beck came in and struggled - losing games single-handedly.
I don't think it will happen either if I had to bet on who starts against the Eagles. However there is no rule that says you have to stick with a particular QB. It's just rare because of the time and investment needed to develop a QB and get him up to speed. Fortunately we have two QB's that got sufficient reps and attention during training camp, so the usual guidelines don't really apply here. This isn't replacing Grossman for Kerry Collins off the street the week before the season starts.

Really more then anything is it boils down to me wanting to use the bootleg as a supplement to the now productive running game.

- FRPLG
Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #83
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

3 pages on this already? This thread will never die, probably not for the rest of the season at least.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #84
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
3 pages on this already? This thread will never die, probably not for the rest of the season at least.
It'll be like the Gano has to go and the D.Hall thread. Every time Grossman farts the wrong way this thread will get bumped. lol

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #85
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The problem I have with Beck is that he's a Mormon and those white Mormon choir boys are too prissy to be good leaders...

Let's see who gets that
Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #86
rbanerjee23
The Starter

^ Is that a dig at Mitt Romney?

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #87
over the mountain
Playmaker

id bet any amount of fictional internet money rex put up they worst stat line (qb rating, pass completion, yds per completion) for a qb who didnt get sacked.

i think rex' play was bad but to repeat myself, i dont think we get much more our of beck so why bother.

but you cant discount or overlook how bad rex looked. only reason we won was b/c the rams sucked, our D got 7 sacks held them to under 50 yds running and 149 yds total offense, their receivers dropped plenty of balls and we ran very well.

its amazing we won with what rex brought, really a once in a season thing imo.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #88
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The problem I have with Beck is that he's a Mormon and those white Mormon choir boys are too prissy to be good leaders...

Let's see who gets that
What does being Mormon have to do with anything?

(Just playing the Smootsmack to your SCP )
Old 10-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #89
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
What happens if Rex costs us a game or two and Beck comes in and plays really well?
Then Beck stays. Duh. BUT, you do not make the change unless and until Rex - and Rex alone - loses the game.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #90
skinsnut
Playmaker

The only thing Beck has over Grossman is this...he can run the bootleg, oh yeah, he's a bit younger. Grossman aint great, but he's average, and that is as good or better than the alternative.