Gibbs' take on Campbell's situation

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #76
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Gibbs' take on Campbell's situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Do you want me to qualify this, or can I just leave it as an implied yes (without being taken out of context)?

EDIT
^^Probably reads as more smart alecky than intended. I was trying to ask if the sentence in the context above can stand for itself, or if you really want hard numbers that suggest our passing game was clearly better than Clevelands or Seattles.
I will agree with you on that. But that's not really saying much. Seattle was crushed by injured wr's and qb. Cleveland doesn't have a legit NFL QB. But having a passing game slightly better than Cleveland and a injury depleted Seattle team isn't saying much.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-29-2009, 10:01 PM   #77
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I will agree with you on that. But that's not really saying much. Seattle was crushed by injured wr's and qb. Cleveland doesn't have a legit NFL QB. But having a passing game slightly better than Cleveland and a injury depleted Seattle team isn't saying much.
No, it's certainly not. Our number one goal on offense should be to make sure we build on what we began last year, and not to regress simply because our QB has his job on the line. Once that is accomplished, the next goal would be to improve the passing efficiency to score more touchdowns.

The key, obviously, is going to be in the big plays. Even when Moss is well covered, we're going to ask Kelly and Thomas to win those one on ones, and the rest should go from there. Those double moves that we like require great pass protection, and there's no guarentee that we can get that, but those vertical routes by secondary wide receivers can be run at any time...if only we get the personnel to run them.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:40 AM   #78
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
If Campbell does:

338/515, 66%, 23 TD/8 INT, 3,605 yards, 7.0 Y/A: QB Rating of 94.4
(this is my mean projection for Campbell)

Is that "great" or merely good?

Based on last year's offensive environment, he would be 6th in the NFL in QB rating.

Those numbers are good enough to be great. Questions would arise with it being a contract year though. He needs to add a little more proof to the pudding than that. While those numbers will be good enough to keep him in Washington, they might not be convincing enough for outside organizations to offer him big time money.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #79
MTK
\m/

Not sure what football world you're living in Angry, but I can guarantee you if JC has that kind of year and takes the Skins to the playoffs, he will definitely draw interest from a few teams, and Danny will need to show him the $$ to keep him here.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #80
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Not sure what football world you're living in Angry, but I can guarantee you if JC has that kind of year and takes the Skins to the playoffs, he will definitely draw interest from a few teams, and Danny will need to show him the $$ to keep him here.
I guess that you may be right (Matt Cassell), but most organizations want to see more than 1 year of production.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #81
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
I guess that you may be right (Matt Cassell), but most organizations want to see more than 1 year of production.
No. I think a QB hungry organization will pay big money based on one year's production:

Scott Mitchell
Rob Johnson
Matt Schaub

IMO - A QB that puts together the numbers Matty cites would be a top draw for teams like Cleveland, the Rams, Minnesota, NY Jets - or any number of teams dissatisfied w/ their current QB's.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #82
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
If he has a good year he won't be seen as a one year wonder. He's shown improvement year to year and shown flashes of what he can do.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #83
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
If he has a good year he won't be seen as a one year wonder. He's shown improvement year to year and shown flashes of what he can do.
Fair enough. I will take a wait and see approach. Right now this is nothing more than speculation anyway.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #84
MTK
\m/

Yeah we've had an entire offseason of speculation. I'm ready for some real action to talk about already.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #85
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Yeah we've had an entire offseason of speculation. I'm ready for some real action to talk about already.
Truth is, with our schedule, we could (and should) go 6-2 at the bye, only to have a much tougher 2nd half of the season, similar to last year. So no matter what positives happen during the first half, we will be hard pressed to get real proof positives until late November rolls around.

Still can't wait ... even for preseason!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote