Other Sports

Old 06-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #76
itvnetop
Playmaker

Re: The Official 2007 NBA Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Do you keep DeShawn?
We'll need a vet to start at the 2 for the upcoming season... I'm not sure you can throw Nick in there as a starter his rookie year and expect to contend for the East... not sure if signing DS to a 4-5 million contract extended over the next few seasons is necessary- b/c from what i've seen of young over the past three years, he's going to be our starter in the future (sooner rather than later).

Young's perfect for this system- he'll thrive in an up and down offense and he never runs out of gas. He's had several game winning clutch shots in college, and i can see him nailing a few off of gilbert drives in the nba. Plus he can sky. His offensive game is much, much better than DS's (although DS probably has a better man defensive game at this point). Young can create his own shot and get to the rim.

Sick dunk
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 PM   #77
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
We'll need a vet to start at the 2 for the upcoming season... I'm not sure you can throw Nick in there as a starter his rookie year and expect to contend for the East... not sure if signing DS to a 4-5 million contract extended over the next few seasons is necessary- b/c from what i've seen of young over the past three years, he's going to be our starter in the future (sooner rather than later).

Young's perfect for this system- he'll thrive in an up and down offense and he never runs out of gas. He's had several game winning clutch shots in college, and i can see him nailing a few off of gilbert drives in the nba. Plus he can sky. His offensive game is much, much better than DS's (although DS probably has a better man defensive game at this point). Young can create his own shot and get to the rim.

Sick dunk
They could keep Stevenson for the MLE. I see Young more as a replacement off the bench for Hayes. Stevenson, as you say, gives you some D. He could be expendable though if the Zards take DJ at #47. But with Gasol and Gray still on the board, they could go big. Or they could go really small and get a backup point guard/replacement for Antonio Daniels in Taurean Green.

Gasol has big upside but very raw. I lean toward Gray at #47 if he's there
Old 06-28-2007, 11:31 PM   #78
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
They could keep Stevenson for the MLE. I see Young more as a replacement off the bench for Hayes. Stevenson, as you say, gives you some D. He could be expendable though if the Zards take DJ at #47. But with Gasol and Gray still on the board, they could go big. Or they could go really small and get a backup point guard/replacement for Antonio Daniels in Taurean Green.

Gasol has big upside but very raw. I lean toward Gray at #47 if he's there
I'd be happy with Green or Gray. Gasol does have upside, but I think we've cultivated enough youth and now it's time to find role pieces that can play now. If we can keep DS for MLE money, that'd be cool. Young's going to definitely be that spark off the bench- we need more than the big three scoring. He'll need to work on his D for sure though. That's where I'd be scared, especially with our current coaching philosophy.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:32 PM   #79
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

With the #47 the Wizards select Dominic McGuire
Old 06-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #80
itvnetop
Playmaker

Looks like this guy can block... he averaged a swat a game at the 3 in college. Pretty good boards too, but his FT percentage is ben wallace-like. Looks like we're drafting for roles instead of need (which is a good thing).
Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #81
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Looks like this guy can block... he averaged a swat a game at the 3 in college. Pretty good boards too, but his FT percentage is ben wallace-like. Looks like we're drafting for roles instead of need (which is a good thing).
Sounds like Etan with a bit more scoring ability. See ya Poet
Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 AM   #82
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

My DUMBASS Mavericks!!!!!!

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:23 AM   #83
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Sounds like Etan with a bit more scoring ability. See ya Poet
doing a little more research on this guy, it seems EG may have another second round gem. i liken his game to a Josh Smith- same type of athleticism, boards like a madman and plays stiff D (he actually averaged 3.5 bpg at fresno st.).
Old 06-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #84
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
doing a little more research on this guy, it seems EG may have another second round gem. i liken his game to a Josh Smith- same type of athleticism, boards like a madman and plays stiff D (he actually averaged 3.5 bpg at fresno st.).
I've heard some comparisons to Josh Howard (which would be unbelievable) I see that the Bobcats cut Brevin Knight, I'd probably make a run at him. In fact, I'd be tempted to play Arenas a 2-guard

What do you think of this itv? Trade with Portland for Jarrett Jack (local guy) and Magliore (defensive-minded 7 footer), maybe send Hayes, Daniels and Haywood there. Then you start Caron (3), Antwan (4), Magloire (5), Knight (1), and Arenas (2). You have Jack as a backup point guard or you slide Arenas to the 1 when you bring Young or Stevenson off the bench. Or you can move Butler to the 2 and go big in the frontcourt with Blatche at the 3, and Pech at the 4 (Poet at the 5)
Old 06-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #85
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
I've heard some comparisons to Josh Howard (which would be unbelievable) I see that the Bobcats cut Brevin Knight, I'd probably make a run at him. In fact, I'd be tempted to play Arenas a 2-guard

What do you think of this itv? Trade with Portland for Jarrett Jack (local guy) and Magliore (defensive-minded 7 footer), maybe send Hayes, Daniels and Haywood there. Then you start Caron (3), Antwan (4), Magloire (5), Knight (1), and Arenas (2). You have Jack as a backup point guard or you slide Arenas to the 1 when you bring Young or Stevenson off the bench. Or you can move Butler to the 2 and go big in the frontcourt with Blatche at the 3, and Pech at the 4 (Poet at the 5)
I wouldn't change a thing about how they use Gil. He leads this team and I like my leader to bring the ball up the court and get things rolling if he is capable. I know he isn't a traiditonal PG by any stretch but they seem to operate fine without that. I would wonder how bringing in a true PG would mess with the chemistry of their offense. It might degrade it for a season.

That said...if they do decide to shift Gil's role to the 2 then your plan makes a lot of sense. I am all for getting someone to patrol the middle and play defense. Solid interior defense plus the scoring ability of this team would make them serious contenders.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:51 PM   #86
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I wouldn't change a thing about how they use Gil. He leads this team and I like my leader to bring the ball up the court and get things rolling if he is capable. I know he isn't a traiditonal PG by any stretch but they seem to operate fine without that. I would wonder how bringing in a true PG would mess with the chemistry of their offense. It might degrade it for a season.

That said...if they do decide to shift Gil's role to the 2 then your plan makes a lot of sense. I am all for getting someone to patrol the middle and play defense. Solid interior defense plus the scoring ability of this team would make them serious contenders.
Good points. The biggest issue with my scenario would of course be perimeter defense. Knight and Arenas aren't going to scare anyone with their D.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #87
FRPLG
MVP

I dont understand how a guy like Gil isn't a great defender. He isn't tiny, he's quick and athletic. That's all you need skills wise to be at least good. Is it an effort thing?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #88
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I dont understand how a guy like Gil isn't a great defender. He isn't tiny, he's quick and athletic. That's all you need skills wise to be at least good. Is it an effort thing?
You know what, I think it is. I love Gil but playing defense is a lot about effort, desire and perhaps most importantly willingness to do the little things that aren't going to show up in box scores or tv highlights. Arenas is obviously serious and dedicated about his profession but sometimes you have to wonder if he's more serious about succeeding at things that get him more recognition and face time. Like scoring 30+ points a game.

All that said, I have a good feeling that he's ready to elevate his game defensively. He's seen Wade win a title and Bron make it to the finals. Now he knows it's his time and if the Wizards are going to get there they need for everyone to play better defense.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #89
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Defense is more about desire than effort. If you want to play D you will. Doesn't matter how much effort you put foward if you don't want to play D you wont play to your highest level of it.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #90
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Re: Trade... I love AD's tenacity, consistency and ability to lead the offense for the second team. But I'd definitely do that trade in a second. Daniels isnt' getting any younger and I'd see the Magloire/Wood swap as evening out the age scale for both teams. Jack can play, especially leading a break. Magloire's getting old, but he'd be more than serviceable to hold down the fort for a year or so, giving our young bigs a little more insurance in in the post.

Re: lineup changes... I don't mind Gil at the point, but I've actually been a proponent of him at the 2 for the longest time. When Larry was here, they'd both be adept at bringing the ball up the court... even at Arizona, he switched between guard positions. AI's play has improved moving over to the 2 and Gil wouldn't be any different. A scorer like him would love the freedom to roam a bit more- he'll be able to come off more screens and his range will definitely be showcased a bit more. I've seen more than a few offensive sets that end quickly with Gil jacking an immediate three after bringing the ball up the court. You get a Jack to run point and the ball will move and we'll see the Princeton cuts in full. With that big lineup you suggest, I'd switch out Pech with D. Song (although I'd rather switch out Poet, but we'd need him at C) to form a pretty pass-heavy unit. I really think Blatche makes a statement this season.

Now that I think about it more, that's a brilliant trade suggestion. I see a bigger picture with what you're trying to do. SS, get EG the memo!