Donovan McNabb: The New Face of The Redskins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 AM   #76
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Donovan McNabb: The New Face of The Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
McNabb is not and will never be the face of the Redskins. He may play for the Skins but he will always be the face of the Eagles.
So if he wins 2 SB's here, does he go into the HOF as an Eagle, who's fans booed him, and would hate him after he beats them in the NFC Championship game, or as a Redskin, whose fans cheered him on as he led us to our 4th and 5th Lombardi trophies.

Ah, the morning glow is starting to shine!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #77
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
You don't think that McNabb will tell Janky Spanky to shut the eff up if he tries his prima donna crap?

I do. McNabb is Shanny's guy. Janky Spanky is fighting for a roster spot.
Well, this reminds me of TO/McNabb:The Locker Room Saga. Let's hope Shanahan reins in CP before it ever gets to this point.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #78
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
There is no doubt about that Dirtbag. Kurt Warner was the QB for the "Greatest Show on Turf." He QBed three teams to SB's and won 1. He is an amazing story. Has Brett Favre EVER missed a game because of injury? He also led 3 teams to SB's and won 1. I don't put McNabb in that category. And unfortunately we didn't just trade a 2nd rounder for him even though that seemed to be all they were asking, we also threw in a 3rd or 4th next year. It's funny how we talk about how important it is to keep our picks...until we decide it isn't.
Exactly! This whole post is dead on. (Until McNabb wins us 3 SB's)
Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #79
MTK
\m/

The more this sinks in the more excited I'm getting about McNabb. Seeing the video of him arriving at Dulles yesterday I think it finally started to hit me, McNabb is our QB!
Old 04-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #80
davy
Impact Rookie

Mcnabb is a notoriously streaky passer, I'm not convinced a more run-oriented offence will suit him at all.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #81
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
We feel the same way
We? Smoot and Smack are separate personalities?

As for the move to a less pass-happy offense, I think it can only help McNabb. He'll have less pressure on him, more contribution from others on the offense (Philly's offense was mainly McNabb and PASSES to Westbrook for his entire career, until DeSean Jackson at least). Andy Reid runs the most unbalanced offense in the NFL and going to a more balanced offense with a highly effective Shanahan running game should only help McNabb. He can throw deep, but now opposing defenses will have to respect a running game and won't be able to key in on stopping a deep ball. I think Shanahan's passing schemes with moving pockets will also be perfect for McNabb (or Campbell), even in his less-mobile years.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #82
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
McNabb is not and will never be the face of the Redskins. He may play for the Skins but he will always be the face of the Eagles.
If he finally gets his Lombardi with the Skins, maybe even a few of them...the Eagles years of his career will end up looking like a failed experiment. He could even go into the HOF as a Skin if they're that much more successful.

Most people remember Elway for the years he won Super Bowls, not the orange crush years where he couldn't win the big game. Sure, strange analogy because Elway only changed uniforms, not teams...but you know what I'm conveying.

Is John Riggins remembered as a Jet? Most people probably don't even know he was on a team other than the one he won the big game with.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #83
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Good thread. Shock and awe aside, Donovan McNabb is a Washington Redskins, and as such he will have my support. As I've always preached, it's all about the team and right now he is part of that team.
His presence is definitely going to change the face of the NFC east. Considering all the many reasons why some may have wanted McNabb out of Philly, Im' convinced the results of last season (especially season's end) and the three losses to the Cowboys were major contributing factors. Some felt the second loss cost them the division title and the difference between the 2nd & 5th seed, having a home playoff game as opposed to having to go on the road as the 5th seed and play the Cowboys for a 3rd time which ultimately turned out to be a complete disaster.

It could be that loosing their center to injury could have played a part (McNabb did fumble one snap) notwithstanding other factors. The overiding cocerns obviously became a question, could McNabb still get the job done?

I'll take consolation in the fact that during McNabb's tenure as QB of the Eagles his team had a combined 14-9 W/L record against the Cowboys (our chief division rival) including the playoff loss last year.

I agree with Matty, I think Shanahan will grace the face of the franchise.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #84
44ever

Since my brother is a die hard Eagles fan and Im from Syracuse, Ive seen A LOT of Mcnabb. A LOT!!! (Almost every game including college games.) And I will tell you this. Don't go of his stats. He is an Awesome QB! In fact he is the best QB we have had here since Joe Theismann. Count on that!
44ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #85
Monkeydad
Living Legend

A big reason why the Iggles were so badly embarrassed against Dallas was their complete lack of defense. Their offensive line had the injury bug too, he was sacked 12 times in their final 3 games. Look up the old threads from last season, the Eagles had massive injuries as well.

Am I defending Philly? Not at all...but do I think the Eagles gave McNabb away for less than they should have? Yes. I think they'll regret A.) handing the reigns to Kolb without having McNabb there to step back in when needed B.) trading him to a division rival.

Yes he's literally lost a step (his running game has regressed) but he has improved his passing over his career. He could give us a solid 4-5 years if we keep him healthy. I hope he does, it willl help us win, but more so...it will rub salt into Philly's wounds. I hope this turns out to be one of the worst trade blunders in NFL history for the Eagles...couldn't happen to a more deserving team (except maybe Dallas).

I think his best games will be against his old team. I hope it's on a MNF game.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #86
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
A big reason why the Iggles were so badly embarrassed against Dallas was their complete lack of defense. Their offensive line had the injury bug too, he was sacked 12 times in their final 3 games. Look up the old threads from last season, the Eagles had massive injuries as well.

Am I defending Philly? Not at all...but do I think the Eagles gave McNabb away for less than they should have? Yes. I think they'll regret A.) handing the reigns to Kolb without having McNabb there to step back in when needed B.) trading him to a division rival.

Yes he's literally lost a step (his running game has regressed) but he has improved his passing over his career. He could give us a solid 4-5 years if we keep him healthy. I hope he does, it willl help us win, but more so...it will rub salt into Philly's wounds. I hope this turns out to be one of the worst trade blunders in NFL history for the Eagles...couldn't happen to a more deserving team (except maybe Dallas).

I think his best games will be against his old team. I hope it's on a MNF game.
The points you make are what is ultimatley going to be the concern going foreward. The results of this trade, if it turns out to be positive Redskins....negative Kolb and the Eagles, some in their FO will be looking over their shoulder.

I'll never be convinced Andy Reid wanted to trade Donovan, the pressure to do so was coming from over his head.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #87
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
The points you make are what is ultimatley going to be the concern going foreward. The results of this trade, if it turns out to be positive Redskins....negative Kolb and the Eagles, some in their FO will be looking over their shoulder.

I'll never be convinced Andy Reid wanted to trade Donovan, the pressure to do so was coming from over his head.
It definitely seems that Reid was strong armed in to making this deal.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #88
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post

He looked and sounded like he was going to cry at the press conference and even made statements in another interview that he would have preferred to trade Kolb.

I think this will be Reid's final year, unless they miraculously, somehow win it all...which will NEVER happen for Philadelphia.

Quote:
MVP Philly | McNabb Threatens Retirement; Reid Wanted to Trade Kolb

It seems as if there was some disagreement within the front office. Jason Cole also states that Andy Reid strongly voiced his desire to keep Donovan McNabb even if it meant shipping Kevin Kolb somewhere else. While Reid believes that Kolb has a chance to be a great quarterback, he feels that McNabb gives the Eagles the best chance to win.

A source close to the situation stated that Reid"knows Donovan is great and probably will be for three or four years."

Though Reid endorsed and expressed confidence in Kolb today at Kolb's press conference, this news can't exactly be a vote of confidence for him. Kolb is now the starter and has been given the keys to the quarterback for years to come.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #89
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The more this sinks in the more excited I'm getting about McNabb. Seeing the video of him arriving at Dulles yesterday I think it finally started to hit me, McNabb is our QB!
Totally!
It has taken moment or two to get over the......Eagle thing as I have been in McNabb "hate mode" for years.
The dude is the qb, I fear most in the East......I'm good with it
CAN'T wait. It might be interesting how good he makes our recievers. I'm not sure our guys can remember how to catch a ball....."in Stride"
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #90
Monkeydad
Living Legend

^ Yeah, of all other NFC East QBs: Eli Manning Jim Sorgi, Tony Homo, Jon Kitna, Mike Vick, Kevin Kolb...I have to admit we probably got the best of them.

It was natural to hate him as an Eagle...he was on the Eagles!

I still think he's an overly-cocky guy, but hey, he won't be the only cocky Redskin...we'll get used to it. Just don't do that "phone call" thing again, that was stupid.