I say we "Dive for a Top 5"!!!!!

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #76
irish
Playmaker

Re: I say we "Dive for a Top 5"!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Well if we had 3 crummy QBs last year (I'm assuming JC, Rex, and Beck) we would have still kept our second rounder and gotten a solid player from the draft given MS/BA's track record.
Good point. Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time I thought it was a good trade because I thought that if DM played they way he did with Philly he was a definite upgrade from from what the Skins had. Unfortunately DM's skills had seriously eroded.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #77
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
We will have to agree to disagree because I have always thought JC was decent/good. Much better than any option we had at the time (McNabb included) or we do now.
On his best days JC was decent but those days were too few and far between. Knowing what we know now the DM trade should never have happened but if we could predict the future....
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #78
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Good point. Hindsight is always 20/20. At the time I thought it was a good trade because I thought that if DM played they way he did with Philly he was a definite upgrade from from what the Skins had. Unfortunately DM's skills had seriously eroded.
I was iffy about the trade but trusted MS. It did bug me that the first thing that he did was something that the Redskins had been criticized for in the past. Now of course I wish he had gone a different direction. Shoot, I would have rather have another year of JC or a year of Rex, instead of giving up picks for a crappy year of McNabb.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #79
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

To Hail with the Redskins.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #80
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
Considering I was a Leafs fan who finished 4th last, I followed it closely. I remember their team was constantly being switched around. 3rd line center played 10 games as the 1st line center while the 4th line center played as the 2nd line center, and so on... They just did everything they could to lose more games than New Jersey who were also unexpectedly terrible. The fans and players didn't complain because they had Lemieux to look forward too.. What did he do the year after he was drafted? Scored 100 points, won rookie of the year, the next year he had 141, and within five years he had back to back stanley cup championships.

You can't exactly say it didn't work for them, or their players went into a "losing mentality".

Quarterbacks are game changers, Andrew Luck can turn a team around.

I love London Fletcher as much as the next guy, he will always be my favorite linebacker... But he's 36 years old and our team sucks, we need a quarterback. You can be our linebacker coach London, but this team won't make the playoffs while you're here.
Well, upon looking at the careers of the players on the 1983 and 1984 rosters at Pro Hockey Refernce, I see that almost all of the Penguins on the '83 roster that made it to the '84 roster never got to bask Lemieux's glory after his rookie season. And the coach didn't come back either. So it was hardly profitable for most involved, the exceptions being Denis Herron and the GM.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #81
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Dark pleas for Barkley(s)?

Check the stats, son!
No stats to check, he's clearly the 2nd best QB of the bunch.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #82
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
No stats to check, he's clearly the 2nd best QB of the bunch.
You may want to check these stats:

Robert Griffin III Stats, News, Videos, Pictures, Bio - Baylor Bears - ESPN

and keep in mind he plays for Baylor....not Texas or OU.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #83
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
You may want to check these stats:

Robert Griffin III Stats, News, Videos, Pictures, Bio - Baylor Bears - ESPN

and keep in mind he plays for Baylor....not Texas or OU.
Does he play in a pro style offense on the Pac-10, NO. Yes he's pretty good and would not be upset if we drafted him, my preference is Barkley who I think is the 2nd best QB after Luck.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #84
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

My list looks like this:

1. Andrew Luck - The next great Indy Colts QB.
2. Landry Jones - He is a Franchise QB, IMO. I like everything about him as a player, except that he can be a bit inconsistent. Even his inconsistency doesn't bother me much because that can be improved.
3. Matt Barkley - He is very polished. He is effective. He'll be a good pro, IMO. I just can't get as excited about his chances to be a great NFL QB as I can about the first two. Of course, I could be wrong. I do think he would be a good fit for our offense.

Those are the only three QB's who I would take in the first round.

RGIII may turn out to be a great pro QB but I think taking him in the first round would be a big risk. I love the way he throws the deep ball but his slow release is an issue for me. I think I could stand to see him picked by the Skins in the second or third round but I'd prefer the Skins to trade up, if necessary, to get Jones or Barkley.

Kellen Moore could be a third or fourth round pick. He has been a great college QB but hiis size is definitely an issue for me. Some think he could be the next Drew Brees but he's even smaller than Brees.

The rest are mid to late round picks, IMO.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 11-08-2011 at 09:10 AM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #85
Jontrem
Impact Rookie

If the season ended today, the Seahawks, the Dolphins would both finish with worse records than us and lets assume the Colts get the #1 pick. That is two teams that need a QB and one team that is probably going to draft Luck. So as things are right now, we are not in line to get one of these three anyway.

So not sure what we do if those three are off the board and we can not trade up.
Jontrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #86
rocnrik
Playmaker

Tank the season on purpose??..I believe if the Skins try 110% they could lose out..the players have jumped ship on Beck..why do you think Moss Went out on a limb with his comments when they benched Rex?..He knew something!..Unless Shanny swallows his pride and goes back to Rex this season is over..the only chance of winning a game is the other team could implode with turnovers etc..skins do have a good D ..so that will keep it close which is more frustrating..woulda,shoulda..we shoulda gone after another qb in free agency..the coaches totally over estimated Beck.they now have missed on Letting Campbell go,getting Mcnabb,thinking Beck might be answer..if they cant evaluate the most important position on the team ..how can they evaluate any players?..so taking a dive on purpose ..most likely if we got the number one pick we would screw that up and take Someone other than Luck just so shanny could feed his ego if he were right!..This is a bad situation..I figured 8-8 season in most games a chance at playoffs..now we are talking tanking the season..that happened long ago.
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #87
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontrem View Post
If the season ended today, the Seahawks, the Dolphins would both finish with worse records than us and lets assume the Colts get the #1 pick. That is two teams that need a QB and one team that is probably going to draft Luck. So as things are right now, we are not in line to get one of these three anyway.

So not sure what we do if those three are off the board and we can not trade up.
The season doesn't end today. It's only half over and you may be overlooking the fact that we play both Miami and Seattle in their stadiums this season. Plus John Beck is starting against Miami in our next game. Are you getting my drift? In a perverse way, we have a chance to improve our prospects for the future.

Tank? Oh no, of course not! But we'll just continue to play Beck and a bunch of rookies on offense and we'll see what happens.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 11-08-2011 at 10:46 AM.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #88
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I was iffy about the trade but trusted MS. It did bug me that the first thing that he did was something that the Redskins had been criticized for in the past. Now of course I wish he had gone a different direction. Shoot, I would have rather have another year of JC or a year of Rex, instead of giving up picks for a crappy year of McNabb.
I trusted Shanahan too, i thought like maybe Shanahan saw something in DM that said he could get another couple of years out of him, and I fell under the hype that we were only missing a QB, and our team would be competitive.

BUT, what I saw from him his final season in Philly was very disheartening. Philly was playing well, but DM was really struggling and i do believe we saw the end of DM#5 as a TRUE starting QB in that game against Dallas where the eagles were totally mopped by them. McNabb showed in that game everything that we hated about him in Washington.

JC was not the answer. He never was going to be the answer here, there was too much inconsistancy in his play. Raiders i believe got the true JC in 2010 when he was benched for Gradkowski. This year was kind of a fluke IMO, he looked great because Oakland had such a monster running game and the team was finally starting to be dominant. BUT, they must not have thought much of him as far as being the future because they traded the future away to get Carson Palmer.

I don't know if we will get a top five pick but we are playing that way. I think we should really do like Atlanta did and put a package together to get Andrew Luck if the skins get 100% sure thats what they want.

HTTR!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #89
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
The season doesn't end today. It's only half over and you may be overlooking the fact that we play both Miami and Seattle in their stadiums this season. Plus John Beck is starting against Miami in our next game. Are you getting my drift? In a perverse way, we have a chance to improve our prospects for the future.

Tank? Oh no, of course not! But we'll just continue to play Beck and a bunch of rookies on offense and we'll see what happens.
Brilliant - playing Miami and Seattle will be great ways to fix our future.

As has been stated, here's a general draft order visually:

1 Colts 0-9 -- NEED QB, PROBABLY LUCK
2 Dolphins 1-7 -- NEED QB - probably Barkley or Jones

3 Rams 1-7 -- probably stick with Bradford
4 Cardinals 2-6 -- probably stick with Kolb
5 Seahawks 2-6 -- NEED QB - probably Barkley or Jones
6 Jaguars 2-6 -- probably stick with Gabbert
7 Panthers 2-6 -- will stick with Newton
8 Vikings 2-6 -- probably stick with Ponder
9 Browns 3-5 -- probably stick with Colt McCoy
10 Redskins 3-5 -- NEED QB - ?? RG3
11 Broncos 3-5 -- NEED QB

If the Colts take LUCK, then L.Jones, Barkley and R.Griffin would be left for the rest. Suspect the dolphins and seahawks will end up drafting higher than us. The Broncos are a toss-up. Suspect we will win a couple of more games given our good (if inconsistent) defense, which would effectively place us at drafting the 4-5th QB off the board. Every draft there are surprises (Heyward Bey @ 7, Ponder @ 12, etc) - so there's always a chance.

So basically, R. Griffin (RG3) -- is he be worth a #6-10 pick? Walter Football is already predicting RG3 for us. I personally think he's not right for our Shanahan system, he's probably a bust and I hate running QB's in a spread college system. But his highlight reel this year has been impressive, accuracy as high as 85%, at one point more TDs than incompletions.

Hate to think we're "competing" for these QB's, but certainly our future is not with Beck, so we NEED to get a QB through the draft or FA next year. Matt Flynn is also rumored to be a possibility, not sure if that's a good idea either.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #90
SkinzWin
Playmaker

I contend we start Barking for Barkley....
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote