Parking Lot

Old 03-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #76
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: Best Friday Night Dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
There are at least a couple other women. They just don't post as often

You sound like my old college roommate, he was always like "yeah I got girls got a date tonight btw". Then we caught him that same night just chilling in the Wal Mart parking lot, actually kind of felt bad for the guy.

Advertisements
Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #77
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'm going to guess you were at Delessandro's. They are the best in Philly, IMO. Manayunk has a couple other good places.

And I concur, Pat's & Geno's are way overrated. Though if you get them to use american cheese or provolone instead of the awful cheese wiz, then they're better.

I can never understand cheese wiz when you can have gooey melted american cheese all over your sandwich.
Born and raised in Philly...I like Delessandro's but Steve's Prince of Steaks is by far the best.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #78
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
When the starter worked, it was awesome. Throw the coals over top the line, turn the gas on, ignite gas, let it run for 5 minutes, shut the gas off and after a while, gray coals to work with. I need to stop being lazy, take it apart and figure out what it's not working.

I'll have to check that out. I usually grab my flank steaks at Costco, and marinate with all kinds of things. My fave lately has been Newman's Own Mesquite with Lime marinade, but sometimes just some salt and pepper does the trick.
If you like Flank steak you really need to try and find a place that sells the Flat Iron Steak. My wife uses about a 1/4 cup of olive oil & balsamic vinegar dry mustard, dash of salt and pepper, and some Worcestershire sauce. Lets marinate all day.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #79
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Flat iron steak is one of my favorite cuts because it's usually cheap and always tasty. It takes marinades REALLY well. Try half red wine vinegar and half soy sauce and let it sit as long as you want. The vinegar breaks the meat down where it's super tender and it's AWESOME off the grill.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #80
dmek25
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
Born and raised in Philly...I like Delessandro's but Steve's Prince of Steaks is by far the best.
ever eat at Mama's? their cheesesteaks are bangin
Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #81
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Flat iron steak is one of my favorite cuts because it's usually cheap and always tasty. It takes marinades REALLY well. Try half red wine vinegar and half soy sauce and let it sit as long as you want. The vinegar breaks the meat down where it's super tender and it's AWESOME off the grill.
We use the balsamic vinger which does the same thing. Have you ever tried cooking it without a marinade? Funny thing was I purchase one thinking it was flank steak and it now one of my favorite cuts and when I had all the family over for dinner they are all now hooked on them. Just wait for about a year and as it catches on the price will jump up like chick wing have done.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #82
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'm going to guess you were at Delessandro's. They are the best in Philly, IMO. Manayunk has a couple other good places.

And I concur, Pat's & Geno's are way overrated. Though if you get them to use american cheese or provolone instead of the awful cheese wiz, then they're better.

I can never understand cheese wiz when you can have gooey melted american cheese all over your sandwich.
no doubt

I could get better steaks in rural VA than pat's or geno's
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #83
over the mountain
Playmaker

so i asked my butcher buddy from cross street market about the flat iron steaks. he said they used to be a great steak at a great price but it is now the trendy meat and the prices have risen from a few bucks a pound to 7-9 bucks. so he doesnt carry them anymore as he says you can just buy a ny strip or any other quality steak at 7-9 bucks a pound.

he said the same thing happened with flank and skirt steaks. they used to be a great piece of meat at a great price, but since they became trendy a few years ago, the price is just too high.

idk, im kinda bummed. FD or anyone whose bought them, how much do you pay a pound for flat iron steak? my guy didnt have it and gave me a history and reasons why he didtn have it instead of just qouting me a price or the avg market value.

ps - i probably said this before but sometimes we wake up on a sat or sun and head up to philly just to hang out, eat and drink. pats n genos are alright.

i like mcgerks in federal hill in baltimore. its a philly bar, owned by philly natives and they import the steak and buns from philly.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #84
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

yeah I used to buy a lit of flank before the rise in cost
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #85
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
so i asked my butcher buddy from cross street market about the flat iron steaks. he said they used to be a great steak at a great price but it is now the trendy meat and the prices have risen from a few bucks a pound to 7-9 bucks. so he doesnt carry them anymore as he says you can just buy a ny strip or any other quality steak at 7-9 bucks a pound.

he said the same thing happened with flank and skirt steaks. they used to be a great piece of meat at a great price, but since they became trendy a few years ago, the price is just too high.

idk, im kinda bummed. FD or anyone whose bought them, how much do you pay a pound for flat iron steak? my guy didnt have it and gave me a history and reasons why he didtn have it instead of just qouting me a price or the avg market value.

ps - i probably said this before but sometimes we wake up on a sat or sun and head up to philly just to hang out, eat and drink. pats n genos are alright.

i like mcgerks in federal hill in baltimore. its a philly bar, owned by philly natives and they import the steak and buns from philly.
In our area we pay around $6.00 per pound or maybe a little more. Do you guys have a Food Lion in your area? If so try there and if they do not stock flat Iron Steak ask them to order some. Your buddy is correct but who wants the same cut of meat everytime. Flat Iron steak is nothing like a NY and I enjoy both from time to time.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #86
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
In our area we pay around $6.00 per pound or maybe a little more. Do you guys have a Food Lion in your area? If so try there and if they do not stock flat Iron Steak ask them to order some. Your buddy is correct but who wants the same cut of meat everytime. Flat Iron steak is nothing like a NY and I enjoy both from time to time.
Food Lion is definitely the spot for them. They sometimes will run a special and my wife and I stock up when we can get them for around 4-5 bucks a piece.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #87
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
i have been using a soy sauce base for the steaks i take to tailgate at fed ex. i use soy sauce, peanut oil, tomato juice, brown sugar, and some garlic. i usually use flank but sometime flat iron depends on which is cheaper either way they come out great, flank and flat iron are some of my favorite cuts as well

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #88
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Yeah, it's a nice cut if you have the time to marinade it especially. Like I said before (maybe even earlier in this thread) half soy, half red wine vinegar for as long as you can let it marinade... it'll be the most tender steak you've ever had. SUPER cheap, easy marinade too.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #89
FRPLG
MVP

Been doing a brisket lately that is a soy base and it is damn good. Really simple: soy, garlic, beef consume, lemon juice, liquid smoke. Marinate that bad boy for a day then sear it and drop it back in the marinade and cook in a dutch over/crock pot until is falls to pieces. Jesus it is good. Put it on a bun with some swiss cheese.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #90
MTK
\m/

Can't go wrong with soy as a marinade. I like it for a simple chicken marinade. Some soy, fresh garlic, and fresh lime juice. Makes for some juicy, tasty chicken.