Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

US Infects Guatemalans With Syphilis During 1940s Experiments

Debating with the enemy

Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #76
Mechanix544
The Starter

Re: US Infects Guatemalans With Syphilis During 1940s Experiments

I think we all deserve a 10 minute break after that history lesson. Nice points JoeRedskin. One thing though. Some believe that Japan had learned of the United States involvement in training the Chinese fighters and actually flying sorties for them under assumed Chinese names and callsigns. Add to that the aid we were openly sending to China, and some believe that had these things not been so, Japan would not have been so eager to "hurl the rock at our face". I guess we will never know.........
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #77
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanix544 View Post
I think we all deserve a 10 minute break after that history lesson. Nice points JoeRedskin. One thing though. Some believe that Japan had learned of the United States involvement in training the Chinese fighters and actually flying sorties for them under assumed Chinese names and callsigns. Add to that the aid we were openly sending to China, and some believe that had these things not been so, Japan would not have been so eager to "hurl the rock at our face". I guess we will never know.........
Even assuming the truth of those statements, the purpose was to oppose Japanese militarism - Japan knew we didn't like them invading other countries and killing innocents and, further, that we would aid those who opposed their imperialism. That's a bad thing how??? Stop the invasion of China and then we wouldn't have to aid China. Don't invade Indochina and we won't cut off your oil.

It's like saying that the good samaritan - who goes to the aid of someone being bullied and then gets hit by the bully - should have just let the bully beat up the victim.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #78
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Sorry for the zombie thread revival, but just wasn't sure where to put this and this thread seemed as good as any:

Fury over Japanese politician's Nanjing Massacre denial - CNN.com

The Rape of Nanking was one of the major sparks for FDR and the US populations' imposition of sanctions on Japan prior to Pearl Harbor. It is a well documented and horrific event. The level of barbarism was unimaginable to most of us civilized folk (Two officers competed to see who could behead the most chinese - didn't matter if they were soldiers or civilians, people being used for "live" bayonet practice, 8 & 9 year olds raped and tortured, etc. etc.). Nagoya is a city of 2.6M roughly the equivalent of Chicago. It's mayor recently said:

"It is true that a considerable number of people died in the course of battle. However such a thing as so-called Nanjing Massacre is unlikely to have taken place[.]"

It was just shocking to me to see someone in such a position make such a statement. Could you imagine the firestorm in this country if the Mayor of Chicago denied the internment of Japanese (a wrong, but less barbaric act and equally well documented)? Or denied the Jewish holocaust? Or the atrocities of the Middle Passage? I recognize its not an official position of either the national govt. or even the city govt. - just surprised that this guy could get elected to office as Nagoya's dog catcher, much less it's mayor.