Sally J.'s latest is spot on

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #76
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Sally J.'s latest is spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I definitely thought of blame it on the alcohol, right away.

Milli Vanilli is a little bit before my time.
I was thinking Blame it on the Alcohol for you...or Blame it on the Boogie for the dmeks out there

Advertisements
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #77
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;SBXVII 600593

Originally Posted by SBXVII
Did anyone see "Redskins Nation" tonight with Cerrato? Again, to me, it had the whole pep rally feel. Damage control spin. Discredit any questions that put down the team in any fashion feel.

All of the sudden Larry Michael's breaks into this whole speach about random comments slamming people on the team or in the organization when they don't know anything about the individual.

I presume he was refering to Cerrato. The whole time Cerrato was sitting there looking like a pug stairing straight ahead. Then when questioned it seemed ...I don't know .... like he was not the sharpest tool in the shed. I'm not trying to slam him like others have. I was seriously shocked at how bad he spoke and how he was presented. Maybe it was just me. Cerrato then went on to talk about how he has all these rings from NFC championship games and SB's and maybe he will take a picture of them and send it to the blogger so they will know what it looks like since they will never get a chance to ever have one like him. I thought holly crap what an a$$.
Just watched this and it pissed me off. I usually like Larry Michael but he acted like a total bitch. His main argument was that Vinny works hard. What the hell? EVERYONE WORKS HARD. He doesn't get paid for effort, he gets paid for results.

Vinny's performance is indefensible. How are those 11 draft picks in 08 doing? Vinny and Danny have made a mockery of our beloved franchise. LM has some nerve to lecture Sally Jenkins for her dead-on critique. He's beyond being a homer. He's a total D-bag!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #78
44Deezel
The Starter

Ugh, the gay-ass Larry's are now talking about how the Eagles and Giants recently rebounded from slow starts. Are they high? Did the Giants and Eagles lose to the likes of the Lions? After finishing the previous season 2-6? They are friggin demented. Eff them for slamming fans for being pissed off. They suck.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #79
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Ugh, the gay-ass Larry's are now talking about how the Eagles and Giants recently rebounded from slow starts. Are they high? Did the Giants and Eagles lose to the likes of the Lions? After finishing the previous season 2-6? They are friggin demented. Eff them for slamming fans for being pissed off. They suck.
In 2006 the Giants finished 2-6 en route to an 8-8 record (though they still earned a Wild Card berth). The following year they started 1-2 before marching on to a Super Bowl win.

Did they lose to the likes of the Lions? No
Old 10-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #80
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

NY Sally...bah! Cut and paste from any of her previous articles. She should get her facts straight though:

1) "The most damning anecdote I've heard yet about Snyder came this week from his former player-confidante LaVar Arrington, who described how Snyder would stand outside the locker room and shake hands with players when they won, but glared and declined to offer a hand when they lost. "

LaVar...I'm sure he's got no axe to grind.

2) "Now, surely Zorn has better things to do than to explain the elementary and the obvious to his owner: They don't have an effective offensive line or a pass rush."

Maybe she should read some of our write-ups before she makes such inaccurate blanket statements.

3) He is personally responsible for naming Vinny Cerrato, a proven failure, executive vice president of football operations, for the Redskins' lack of core strength, for their inability to power the ball in the red zone, which is thanks to his decade of neglect of the interior lines in favor of big free agent signings.

Here's Cerrato's resume, hardly a "failure".

Notre Dame
Before the NFL, Cerrato served as the football recruiting coordinator under Lou Holtz at the University of Notre Dame. During that time, the Irish played in four Bowl games and won the 1988 NCAA National Championship.

49ers
Cerrato was with the San Francisco 49ers for nine seasons. He joined San Francisco in 1991 as the Director of College Scouting, helping to draft players including Ted Washington, Ricky Watters, Dana Stubblefield and Bryant Young. In 1994, he was part of the Super Bowl XXIX Championship team. In 1995, Cerrato was promoted to Director of Player Personnel, overseeing all college scouting and draft activities as well as pro scouting of NFL players and opponents.

Cerrato has only been formally in charge since the 2008 off-season. Hardly enough time to be judged a "failure".

As to "Core strength" if she's meaning quality of players through the middle of the field. Landry, Fletcher, Haynesworth, Griff, Portis come to mind (Rabach & Campbell are at worst average). If she's talking streghth of the lines: Samuels (Pro Bowl), Dock (solid FA, reasonable price), Rabach (solid), Rinehart (inexperienced, but no glaring defeciencies), Heyer (young, raw, but solid). Orakpo (best defensive player in draft), Haynesworth (Pro Bowl), Griff, aging but solid, AC (struggling).

Her assessment of not running inside the Red Zone is way off and has nothing to do with "neglecting the interior lines". Dock, Rabach and Thomas were all solid FA signings. Rinehart and Montgomery have shown promise. We've discussed the run scheme quite a bit, maybe she should read here before writing trash.

Didn't Snyder hire Joe Gibbs in 2004 and cede complete control to him? I guess she forgot 2004-2007 while wallowing in her Snyder bashing Imaginationland.

4) And how long can all of them keep fighting for Zorn when no one in the front office will step forward and preach real loyalty, by publicly declaring, "This is our coach and the path we're on."

Ah yes, the "vote of confidence" is just what we need right now.

5) But somehow it seems more important given the nature of the NFL, a business in which men sacrifice their bodies and futures weekly for the good of the organization...

And here I thought the players were getting paid (pretty damn good last I checked) to do a job, that most anyone would love to do.

6) Snyder declined an interview request Wednesday, but hopefully in the near future he will make clear his vision for a better future for the organization.

After all the trash NY Sally has written about Snyder and the Skins over the years, if I was Snyder I wouldn't give that b***h the time of day either.

I think hooskins summed it up best...F you Sally.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #81
MrSpectre
Camp Scrub

And you have the gall to call yourself "MonkFan4Life!" Art Monk exemplified what the Redskins stood for, perhaps more than any other player. To compare him, his era, his teammates, with the collection assembled at Redskin Park today is a travesty of being a fan. And please tell me, what great thing happened in 2005?

Thirty-eight years ought to be enough credentials to claim to be a long-time fan. Snyder and his "team" disrespect the fans. All they care about is taking our money, and they laugh at our loyalty. You're a silly fool to be taken in by this.

Pittsburgh is a long way away, and I may not have much fun with the towels. But at least the Rooneys care about their fans and treat their players and coaches with respect.
MrSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #82
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpectre View Post
And you have the gall to call yourself "MonkFan4Life!" Art Monk exemplified what the Redskins stood for, perhaps more than any other player. To compare him, his era, his teammates, with the collection assembled at Redskin Park today is a travesty of being a fan. And please tell me, what great thing happened in 2005?

Thirty-eight years ought to be enough credentials to claim to be a long-time fan. Snyder and his "team" disrespect the fans. All they care about is taking our money, and they laugh at our loyalty. You're a silly fool to be taken in by this.

Pittsburgh is a long way away, and I may not have much fun with the towels. But at least the Rooneys care about their fans and treat their players and coaches with respect.
You should check out steelernation.com. Good people over there. I've posted there in the past
Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #83
44Deezel
The Starter

Worst Head Coaching Hires since 1984. Skins have 2 on the list: Spurrier and ZORN

National Football League Football Sports Professional Football American Football Conference - SI Vault
Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #84
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Worst Head Coaching Hires since 1984. Skins have 2 on the list: Spurrier and ZORN

National Football League Football Sports Professional Football American Football Conference - SI Vault
Under Zorn it says...maybe
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #85
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:

Notice what the caption says about Spurrier

No way. Not even close. Spurrier turned out to be a horrible NFL coach, but the hire itself was exciting and had every chance to work. NFL teams were falling over each other to hire Spurrier as a head coach. This isn't even in the same ballpark as the Mangini hire.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #86
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpectre View Post
Many of us remember Jack Kent Cooke, who may not have been one of nature's noblemen as a human being, but who, in retrospect, was a superb owner. He hired professionals and gave them time to get the job done. He demanded long-term competence but never interfered short-term.

I had been a Redskins fan since 1971, but, as of last Sunday night, I've checked out until Snyder sells the team. As a protest, I'll be rooting for the Steelers until that happens. Why the Steelers? Simple. They exemplify the kind of ownership and management needed in Washington.
I've been a fan since 1972. We've been through: 93-95 and you stayed a fan, that wasn't Snyder's fault. We survived the "bodybag game" and you didn't check out. My parents were fans during the 50s & 60s and they remained fans until they passed.

You can dislike Snyder, but he's doing what every other owner in the NFL needs to do, generate revenue. The Steelers have a brand new stadium and they've seen ticket, parking and concession hikes too. We're 9th in the league in ticket pricing with no raise this year.

Redskins don’t raise ticket prices - Washington Business Journal:

BTW we made the playoffs 3 of the 10 years Snyder's owned the Skins. JKC also didn't have a salary cap to deal with.

A shame you're checking out, but enjoy the Steelers. Also, don't try to hop back on the Skins bandwagon when they turn things around. I'll bet Snyder ain't selling the team until he dies and he'll probably pass it to his kids.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #87
SBXVII
Franchise Player

SlinginSammy,

You said;
49ers
Cerrato was with the San Francisco 49ers for nine seasons. He joined San Francisco in 1991 as the Director of College Scouting, helping to draft players including Ted Washington, Ricky Watters, Dana Stubblefield and Bryant Young. In 1994, he was part of the Super Bowl XXIX Championship team. In 1995, Cerrato was promoted to Director of Player Personnel, overseeing all college scouting and draft activities as well as pro scouting of NFL players and opponents.

Cerrato has only been formally in charge since the 2008 off-season. Hardly enough time to be judged a "failure".

This is what I find funny, people think that since Cerrato came from the 49ers and they won a SB under his reign we must be great, including Snyder. People sometimes don't stop to actually digest the material or facts but who cares cause it sounds so good that we pulled him from the SB 49ers right?

Why would any team fire....."FIRE" their GM if he got them to the SB and did such great things for the team? They wouldn't. Cerrato inherrited a team that was put together by another GM. The year he became GM the team went to the SB (with the players the previous GM put together). Then although Cerrato supposedly drafted good players, the team started becoming mediocre and the team fired him(Cerrato). In other words under Cerrato's helm the team started it's downward spiral, the owner recognized this and fired his lame arse.

I can't speak for his college days but I would imagine most colleges have scoutes who go out to the high schools and evaluate the talent. Then they would report to him. I presume he had to finalize the college scholarships. I'm not trying to take anything away from what he might have done at the college level cause he might be a guru there like Spurrier but certainly he's not a guru at the NFL level. He has yet to prove he's GM material cause the teams he has been apart of started crapping out after he arrived to them.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #88
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
This is what I find funny, people think that since Cerrato came from the 49ers and they won a SB under his reign we must be great, including Snyder. People sometimes don't stop to actually digest the material or facts but who cares cause it sounds so good that we pulled him from the SB 49ers right?

Why would any team fire....."FIRE" their GM if he got them to the SB and did such great things for the team? They wouldn't. Cerrato inherrited a team that was put together by another GM. The year he became GM the team went to the SB (with the players the previous GM put together). Then although Cerrato supposedly drafted good players, the team started becoming mediocre and the team fired him(Cerrato). In other words under Cerrato's helm the team started it's downward spiral, the owner recognized this and fired his lame arse.

I can't speak for his college days but I would imagine most colleges have scoutes who go out to the high schools and evaluate the talent. Then they would report to him. I presume he had to finalize the college scholarships. I'm not trying to take anything away from what he might have done at the college level cause he might be a guru there like Spurrier but certainly he's not a guru at the NFL level. He has yet to prove he's GM material cause the teams he has been apart of started crapping out after he arrived to them.
This is what I find funny, people make assumptions about what other people think, and then they don't stop to check their facts or to actually digest the material. But who cares cause it sounds so good to call Vinny a dumbass and blame everything on him right?

Pretty good article on Vinny.
Meet the New Boss - washingtonpost.com

As I linked above, he arrived in SF in 1991, SF won the SB in 1994, three years later with Ted Washington, Ricky Watters, Merton Hanks, Dana Stubblefield, Bryant Young, William Floyd, Lee Woodall and Doug Brien, all Cerrato draftees, and all making significant contributions to the team.

Your "facts" above about Vinny's performance are completely off-base and flat-out wrong. Cerrato wasn't fired because he was doing a poor job. It was because of Bill Walsh's pending return. After the SB year through 1998, the 49ers never went worse than 11-5, hardly "mediocre" or in a "downward spiral".
CNN/SI - NFL Football - Report: 49ers fire personnel director Cerrato - Tuesday January 12, 1999 11:20 AM
Old 10-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #89
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Once again why anyone takes the time to defend the Skins' FO or the its decision-makers is absolutely, positively beyond me. It's akin to Will Ferrell shouting "I drive a Dodge Stratus" on SNL...except there's exactly zero humor wrt the franchise.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #90
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkFan4Life View Post
Now what i don't understand is how can people ask for Danny to get out of the spotlight but then complain when he does exactly that ? The whole shaking of the hands thing is kinda blow but I mean if you want the guy to stay in the shadows why ask for him to come out.
If you're going to run the team, make yourself accessible

It's fine to stay in the shadows if you're just signing checks
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote