Parking Lot

Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #76
jdlea
Playmaker

re: Let's talk microbrews good beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I tried some of this over the weekend and wow, it's like dessert in a bottle

Creme Brulee (Imperial Milk Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company - BeerAdvocate

Not something you want to drink all the time, but very interesting.
I was just about to bring up Southern Tier. I feel like they've easily overtaken Sierra Nevada as my 2nd favorite American brewery.

Their Old Man Winter Ale is absolutely phenomenal.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #77
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I was just about to bring up Southern Tier. I feel like they've easily overtaken Sierra Nevada as my 2nd favorite American brewery.

Their Old Man Winter Ale is absolutely phenomenal.
I just recently started checking out ST's brews, I'll look for that winter ale.

I've got a bottle of this in the fridge right now

Choklat (Imperial Stout) - Southern Tier Brewing Company - BeerAdvocate
Old 12-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #78
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Ummm... yes.

Dogfish + Sierra Nevada = 2 New Beers! | Dogfish Head Craft Brewed Ales
Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #79
mlmdub130
Playmaker

i have posted this one before in the drunk thread but it is out right now, and it is amazing i love this stuff it comes in four packs and it's pretty strong 10%. it's only out for a very limited time i buy how ever many they have in the store at the time.

Heavy Seas - Below Decks (Barley Wine Style Ale) - Clipper City Brewery - BeerAdvocate

clipper city is based in b-more and it has a lot of really good beers in the "heavy seas" group, they carry them in total wine and some whole foods in va

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #80
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Victory Brewing Company out of Downingtown PA.

Best pilsner and IPA I've ever had in my life. Even beats the Dogfishhead which I'm also a big fan of.
Victory's IPA can't be beat but the lager has room for improvement.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #81
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Schneed have you tried any beers from Lancaster Brewing Company or Appalachian Brewing Company? I recommended these when anyone gets a chance:
ABC- Mountain Lager, Jolly Scott, IPA on kast, Maibock, Volks Wiezenbock

LBC-IPA, Celtic Knot
Old 12-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #82
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
It's like Batman & Superman in the same movie
Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #83
MTK
\m/

I'm trying a Sierra Nevada Porter right now and I've gotta say it's probably one of the tastiest porters I've had. Two thumbs up.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #84
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Williamsburg Alewerks, top notch stuff. Got a sampler and every beer was great. Best white ale I have ever had.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #85
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'm trying a Sierra Nevada Porter right now and I've gotta say it's probably one of the tastiest porters I've had. Two thumbs up.
The stout is very good too.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #86
SkinEmAll
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
While technically not a micro brew, I had a Full Moon the other night (Blue Moon's Winter Ale) and have to admit it was quite tasty.
Ahh you beat me to it! As I was reading thru everyones post I saw a few sam adams winter comments and was gonna recommend the Full Moon, I love it. I love my Guinness and those of you who like the darker brews, Abita(?) brewing company in Louisiana has a beer called Turbo Dog, mmm good stuff. I also like Old Scratch, but I cant remember the brewery. Samuel Smiths nut brown ale is a great english brew. Ive been getting into a lot of german brews lately, and I cant think of any because believe it or not Ive got a little lah lah going on with the only beer to get a blue ribbon, yep its the one and only PBR tonight baby. Its funny because I haven't had PBR since like 1989 and since this past summer its my favorite domestic 'cheap brew'. I actually was making some black and tans the other night with Guinness and PBR and I can hear the chuckles now but let me tell you it was damn tasty. Anyway I love this topic and will Be back on it soon. Although my wife hates this toast, gee I wonder why but when I get a chance to hang with some of the ol bros our first toast is always... Heres to being single, seeing double and sleeping triple, Cheers!
SkinEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #87
SkinEmAll
Special Teams

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I got a Mr. Beer home brewing kit for Christmas. I'm looking forward to my first batch and will keep you guys posted on the outcome. If anyone has done this before let me know your trials and tribulations. cheers!
SkinEmAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #88
AYJAX
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinEmAll View Post
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I got a Mr. Beer home brewing kit for Christmas. I'm looking forward to my first batch and will keep you guys posted on the outcome. If anyone has done this before let me know your trials and tribulations. cheers!
I have made 6 or 7 batches over the past year. If you are looking for some tips here are some good ones.

1) before you start brewing the beer check to make sure the kit came with some sanitizer. they should look about the size of sugar packets. sanitze everything. fill your sink or a bucket with water then mix in the sanitzer. dip everything you are going to use into the water then let air dry, because if any bacteria get in the beer the beer will taste a little off.

2) when the instructions tell you to bring it to a boil, turn the heat up and get it to a consistantly low boil. don't turn the heat up to high and leave it up it will burn and carmelize the the wort the bottom of the pot. that will also make it taste a little off.

3) make sure you don't walk away from the pot as its boiling. it has to boil for an hour or so, but the second you walk away from it it will boil over the side of the pot and make a mess and you will feel like a douche. it happened to me once and i learned my lesson.

4) when you put the beer in the jug or container to ferment make sure you put somewhere that it will not be exposed to sunlight. the sun light will react with the ingredients and it will taste a little off.

if you need to know anything else just post the question. making beer is fucking awesome. hope it goes well.
AYJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #89
MTK
\m/

My advice on Mr. Beer is be patient. I know it says in 2 weeks you can drink it, but the more time you can give it the better. I didn't drink mine until 6 weeks. After fermenting for 2 weeks, I gave it 2 weeks warm conditioning and then 2 weeks cold. Here's a good FAQ

Mr Beer FAQ and Wiki | Main / Mr. Beer Fans FAQ
Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #90
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinEmAll View Post
Ahh you beat me to it! As I was reading thru everyones post I saw a few sam adams winter comments and was gonna recommend the Full Moon, I love it. I love my Guinness and those of you who like the darker brews, Abita(?) brewing company in Louisiana has a beer called Turbo Dog, mmm good stuff. I also like Old Scratch, but I cant remember the brewery. Samuel Smiths nut brown ale is a great english brew. Ive been getting into a lot of german brews lately, and I cant think of any because believe it or not Ive got a little lah lah going on with the only beer to get a blue ribbon, yep its the one and only PBR tonight baby. Its funny because I haven't had PBR since like 1989 and since this past summer its my favorite domestic 'cheap brew'. I actually was making some black and tans the other night with Guinness and PBR and I can hear the chuckles now but let me tell you it was damn tasty. Anyway I love this topic and will Be back on it soon. Although my wife hates this toast, gee I wonder why but when I get a chance to hang with some of the ol bros our first toast is always... Heres to being single, seeing double and sleeping triple, Cheers!
Hey nothing wrong with PBR. I love a good black & tan, I just might have to try that variation. A B&T with Guinness and Blue Moon is pretty tasty too.