Sam howell takes Down Dallas postgame

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-09-2023, 08:11 AM   #76
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: Sam Howell takes Down Dallas postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
There is ZERO chance I would go into next season with Howell as my only option at QB on the roster
Yeah seriously.

Advertisements
Old 01-09-2023, 08:14 AM   #77
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: Sam howell takes Down Dallas postgame

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Howell wasn’t drafted after the fifth. He was the very first pick of the fifth. 144 overall. Not exactly Mr Irrelevant. Prescott was drafted 9 spots ahead of Howell.
I meant 5th round and beyond. Dak is alo an exception and not the rule. Only him, Cousins and Kyle Orton have become long term starters out of 24 QBs drafted in the 4th in the last 20 years (Excluding Zappe and Ian Brook). That is a 12.5% hit rate, which is not great but probably expected. (There are a few decent back up QBs however) All I am saying is that The stats show the later the round the QB is drafted the less likely it is to hit. I am cautiously optimistic but that is all at this point.

QB drafts for any ones interest:
http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb
Old 01-09-2023, 08:16 AM   #78
EdmundDorf
The Starter

I dont think anyone is saying only option, but deserves a chance to compete for it. In what will be, hopefully, a year of transition I just don't want Ron to sell the farm for a veteran next year which impacts salary cap and player retention for the next 3 years. Ron basically has a one year prove it deal, if he is lucky, he will be tempted to go all in at QB again next year if he is not restrained by ownership
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:19 AM   #79
Summo
The Bringer of Digital Bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Bat signal to Summo:

We need a Howell avatar!
Coming soon! Stay tuned.

Visit my Socials: Twitter: @summo13 IGram:@summo13art
Summo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:19 AM   #80
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think Danny Johnson earned an extension, he’s been solid and I like him as a key backup. Saw Butler played a lot yesterday and from what I could tell Chris Paul held his own at guard.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:39 AM   #81
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
It was one game, he looked good but some of you guys my god did a girl look at you in high school in passing and you daydreamed the rest of the day about your wedding day with her.

QB is still very much a red alert area of need for this franchise.
Yeah that is where I'm at to.. If AR15 is there at our pick it would be hard to pass up on that kid.

He's a legit Josh Allen type QB
Old 01-09-2023, 08:46 AM   #82
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
With Howell it is not just the arm, his ball placement is light years ahead of Heinicke and Wentz, that allowed Terry and Jahan to run after the catch, also contributed to a couple of the drops as they were getting a little to eager to head upfield knowing the ball was going to arrive when it was supposed to. Directly contributed to Terrys touchdown. Still cant fathom how you start a rookie QB to "take a look" in a meaningless game and only have him pass the ball 19 times. A couple of PI should also be added to the evaluation of his completion/yardage stats

Yeah the 19 passes while taking a look was really just another wtf move by this staff. Turner really has no business being employed in the NFL. That deep ball to Terry would have been either hanging up in the air or tailed towards the sideline if noodle arm threw it. His decisions to run when he did - i saw a few of them because I wound up in front of a tv were super encouraging. A mobile quarterback is so refreshing. Wentz can’t run and Taylor just chose not to. He kept drives alive more than once. His awareness and ability to see the field were superb for his first start. He will be our starter next year and we can address all our other problems in FA and the draft. Idk how he ultimately will pan out, but I feel a hell of alot better going into next year than I did this one.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:51 AM   #83
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I hope so but odds are against him. Nobody drafted after 5th has gone on to be a quality starter over the last two decades so I’d prefer to think of my self as pragmatic. Also calling him a short Daniel Jones isn’t negative, If he could give us Daniel Jones production I could live with that and we can build a team around it, but I need to see more before I think he is a starter. I thought 19 passes and run heavy is the way you set him up for success (very similar to Jones).

Loved arm strength, he had an good touch on the ball, and his tucking and running but a few under thrown balls and few others into double and triple coverage, hope that is just first game jitters and not his game IQ.
Just a side note , i really don't understand why folks get wrapped around the axel on what someone was drafted. I can understand the day of the draft but being picked first round doesn't magically make you great. Teams tend to give more rope to a high draft pick because they spent so much draft capital on them.

It just grinds my gears when i hear oh X team got former first round pick from Y team. Great team Y probably drafted poorly and now they are unloading that player.

Some folks act like if a player was a first round pick they wear some magical shirt under their uniform but instead of a giant S it has a giant 1.

Where SH was drafted has zero to do with his abilities today.
Old 01-09-2023, 08:55 AM   #84
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
It was one game, he looked good but some of you guys my god did a girl look at you in high school in passing and you daydreamed the rest of the day about your wedding day with her.

QB is still very much a red alert area of need for this franchise.

If the only two other girls that looked at me that year were the equivalent of Carson and Taylor as quarterbacks than hell yes I got excited when she did. Lol.

The whole key to yesterdays game was how would Howell look. Would he shit the bed or would he make the most of his opportunity. I think he certainly made the most of his opportunity. Showcased his arm, his legs, and his composure. Not sure what else he could have done. Nobody is saying not to do your due diligence as far as quarterback competition in the off season. Nobody is saying we are set for the next 15 years. But he clearly showed us he “could” be the guy. He clearly showed us he is most likely better than what we had. He seems like the type of guy that will go earn that starting job and has both the tangible and intangibles to do it. We haven’t had a decent quarterback outside Cousins in years. Of course we are day dreaming after yesterday.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:04 AM   #85
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Honetsly Howell played better than most of us imagined. Against the Starters from a top 10 defense all season long. He had 2 Tds 1 Int. No fumbles. I'll take that

OH AND HE BEAT DALLAS!!
Old 01-09-2023, 09:15 AM   #86
rocnrik
Playmaker

So we have watched Taylor for several years and cringed every time he threw the ball ...Wentz was never gonna work out .. he is DONE !
Howell steps in against Dallas and plays well .. He showed more Arm talent in one game against Dallas than Taylor did in two seasons .. Yes Taylor played with Moxie and made some plays now and then but it always seemed that it was luck involved.. I would like to see Howell given the same opportunity that Taylor has .. in the end I believe Howell will be Legit ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:45 AM   #87
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

We are so QB starved that we will latch on to any signs of life.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:02 AM   #88
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
Howell to Commanders fans:

sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 10:07 AM   #89
HTTR
Impact Rookie

Re: Sam Howell takes Down Dallas postgame

Shouldn’t we be looking at a QB’s long-term prospects in the context of coaching in all of its forms — position skill development, installing an offense that fits his skills, OL protection, scheme and personnel continuity, minimizing controversies, etc? Very few college kids arrive in the NFL fully-formed, especially on offense, especially QB’s.

We don’t have a good GM or coaching staff, especially offense. And we’re so used to that, that we demand our draft picks (all players, really) to be “it,” to turn us around, or we trash them. Good organizations win by getting the most out of their players over time, not by hitting the lottery on a handful of picks or FA’s.

It can take a couple of seasons (many if you’re Geno Smith lol) to know what you have in a QB. But you’ll never really know in a shitty organization. Does SH have the composure, arm strength, and playmaking instinct to make it as a starter on a playoff team? I think that’s a solid maybe. But it all depends on getting the organization functioning at a higher level. If we don’t, it’ll just be more of the same — grasping for new shiny objects and trashing them when “they” don’t work out.

Sure, let’s draft a QB in a reasonable spot, — let’s always draft a QB. But let’s focus on OL, LB, TE, and most of all let’s pray for a new owner, new GM, and new coaching staff. That’s what’s standing in the way of success, not so much the players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2023, 10:17 AM   #90
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post

We are also so QB starved that when we see a rookie beat Dallas with no oline, a fourth and third string RB, and Scott fucking Turner calling the plays we immediately think there is no way he can be the guy. We can either be optimistic and believe we finally have a capable quarterback or we can be pessimistic and believe that he will never pan out in the long run. Yes it is an extremely small sample size but based on what I saw I will remain optimistic until I have a reason not to be. Like HTTR said the plan should be get this guy an oline and an OC and work with it at this point. Of course if we stumble upon something better we take it but as of today quarterback 1 is a little less of an issue than it was 24 hours ago.