Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A New Look Offense or the Same but Better?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #76
30gut
Playmaker

Re: A New Look Offense or the Same but Better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
If you are going to give up what we did to get RG III, you better try and tinker with the present offense at least a tad to play to his athleticism somewhat, without trying to get him to try and be a Vick type player, as that would be disasterous. Throw in some bootlegs, more play action, etc. I think McNabb on ESPN was mostly sour grapes, but I think he did make a good point about the Shannys making a potential mistake not trying to revamp the system a bit to play on RG III's strengths.
Getting away from McNabb a little and back to the OP...

I don't think throwing in some bootlegs and playaction would be a departure from the true nature of Mike Shanahan Denver WCO playcalling.
In a sense it would actually be a return to it.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #77
30gut
Playmaker

From the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
o the offense formations will change and our offense will adopt and feature some of Baylor's formations and concepts, like they way the Panthers added some of Auburns formations, plays and concepts?
Baylor has some core concepts in their playbook and one staple is the ability to run the ball from shotgun.
They often use a zone-read play where the QB reads the edge defender (DE or OLB) and makes a decision to keep it or give it the RB.

Kyle has an similar play concept/formation in his offense (although most likely a designed RB run).
If they want to make aspects of Baylor's offense part of their offense we could see a lot more of this:

Imagine Griffin keep the ball once he sees the LBs commit

^^Once Griffin reads the crashing LBs imagine him keeping the ball and out running OLB#50 towards the rightside edge/alley as Hankerson picks up either the pursuit LB or the CB

or

Picture Griffin ducking his head in playfake to the RB and throwing over the run committed LBs
(obviously the WRs would be running routes instead of stalk blocking like they're doing in these images)

This is the type of play/formation we could see if they plan to incorporate some of Baylor's offense into a featured role in this year's playcalling.

Last edited by 30gut; 03-30-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #78
30gut
Playmaker

Good NFL zone read close-up:

NFL Videos: Anatomy of a Play: Broncos' read-option

Could we see plays/concepts like these next year?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #79
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
From the OP:

Baylor has some core concepts in their playbook and one staple is the ability to run the ball from shotgun.
They often use a zone-read play where the QB reads the edge defender (DE or OLB) and makes a decision to keep it or give it the RB.

Kyle has an similar play concept/formation in his offense (although most likely a designed RB run).
If they want to make aspects of Baylor's offense part of their offense we could see a lot more of this:

Imagine Griffin keep the ball once he sees the LBs commit

^^Once Griffin reads the crashing LBs imagine him keeping the ball and out running OLB#50 towards the rightside edge/alley as Hankerson picks up either the pursuit LB or the CB

or

Picture Griffin ducking his head in playfake to the RB and throwing over the run committed LBs
(obviously the WRs would be running routes instead of stalk blocking like they're doing in these images)

This is the type of play/formation we could see if they plan to incorporate some of Baylor's offense into a featured role in this year's playcalling.

What I'm seeing there is a 74-yard TD run.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #80
30gut
Playmaker

Gruden talks about the zone read + WCO concepts that could be possibilities for our offense with Griffin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gruden
This read option combined with the WCO offense is just down right scary...no huddle offense..hey...it regulates the coverage and fronts a defense can play
7:50-8:30

Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #81
Bubba305-ST21-
Impact Rookie

awesome post 30Gut. i see the defense checking out the bottom of griffs adidas cleats on that one
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #82
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Gruden is badass...I'd take him for HC tomorrow
Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #83
30gut
Playmaker

Found another zone read look:

Giants vs Redskins 2011 :: Redskins1stTDDrive.mp4 video by Txredskins44 - Photobucket

@ 1:17 mark
Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #84
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Here's a closer look at another play that has a zone-read look.
Although its probably a designed run for the RB all the elements for a zone-read are present just like the play illistrated earlier from the Bills game.

- the formation

-the handoff that gives a read action "look"

-RB takes the handoff; QB completes the 'sell' of the play/read fake with a fake pass (notice the frozen backside defender)
Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #85
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

I don't care if he runs the ball from time to time. Just please get the yards and get out of bounds. Im going to worry if i hear the talking head announcers say anything like "he really delivered a blow on that run" or "sometimes you need to fight or that extra yard".
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #86
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Here's a closer look at another play that has a zone-read look.
Although its probably a designed run for the RB all the elements for a zone-read are present just like the play illistrated earlier from the Bills game.

- the formation

-the handoff that gives a read action "look"

-RB takes the handoff; QB completes the 'sell' of the play/read fake with a fake pass (notice the frozen backside defender)
Good find. I'm a bit surprised (not at all disappointed) that Kyle was running this series with Grossman, but you can see the upside to an option play, even if one of the potential options (Grossman keeps the ball) isn't going to be honored by the defense.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #87
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

I'm expecting Kyle Shanahan to add new wrinkles and plays to their version of the west coast offense. They are fully going to build the offense around the things that Griffin III does best. In fact, a modified west coast offense is what they will be using this season and beyond.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #88
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasSkinsFan View Post
I don't care if he runs the ball from time to time. Just please get the yards and get out of bounds. Im going to worry if i hear the talking head announcers say anything like "he really delivered a blow on that run" or "sometimes you need to fight or that extra yard".
If and when Griffin runs he'll have to be much more situationally aware about avoiding vs. trying to get more yards then he was in college.
Griffin ran with a fearlessness that borderlined on recklessness at Baylor.

I would like to see Griffin emulate Cam Newton when it comes to running.
Despite Cam's tremendous size he was very aware conscious of avoiding unneccesary contact.
Cam rarely chose to take hits he often went down of his accord or ran out of bounds.
He seemed to only expose his body to big hits on the goalline or if a 3rd down conversion was in the balance.
I would like Griffin to adopt the same mentality.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #89
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Good find. I'm a bit surprised (not at all disappointed) that Kyle was running this series with Grossman, but you can see the upside to an option play, even if one of the potential options (Grossman keeps the ball) isn't going to be honored by the defense.
Yeah, I was pretty pumped to find it with Grossman.
I can't believe the contain defender didn't chase down the line toward the RB immediately, I guess he was waiting to see if Grossman kept the ball but in that case he should have covered the #2 receiver to his side and not played contain because ain't no way in the world Grossman was gonna gain positive yards if he kept it to run.

Although I've only found a handful of zone-read concept plays its still encouraging that the bare bones concepts however scarce exist within this offense.
It makes the notion of Kyle actually running some zone-read for Griffin plausible if still highly unlikely. (we can always hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I'm expecting Kyle Shanahan to add new wrinkles and plays to their version of the west coast offense. They are fully going to build the offense around the things that Griffin III does best. In fact, a modified west coast offense is what they will be using this season and beyond.
I think its a matter of course that Kyle will build his offense around Griffin, like he's done with all his QBs and Mike has done for all his QBs.

But, what new wrinkles do you expect and what about Kyle makes you expect them?

Last edited by 30gut; 05-25-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #90
GTripp0012
Living Legend

I think they'll show it just as another thing teams have to prepare for, but I don't think they'll commit to it no matter how well it's actually working.