Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

10 Cuts-Your Call

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #76
Pocket$ $traight

Re: 10 Cuts-Your Call

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I'm still blown out of my mind that people think Portis would generate any kind of favorable draft pick. I'm serious guys, i really believe that he would only get us a 4th round or 3rd round pick. And it's not just his physical condition/injury risk that would warn off teams...its his attitude too.
No one is giving us a ham sandwich for Portis, Cooley or Landry. They have stupid contracts and no one is going to take them on.

The guys that could get traded would be Campbell and Rogers and we might get a 6th and 7th rounder for each.

Just like our coaches, people need to pull their head out of their asses.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #77
CrackBack
Camp Scrub

my 10

1-ARE
2-Portis
3-Landry (well, trade him. I love his passion and hard hits, but he misses people more than he hits them and gets burned faster than a joint at woodstock.)
4-8 - The entire O-line -- with Samuels going out gracefully in retirement
9-Betts - I think he had potential, but I don't think we will ever know now.
10- Not that I want it, but I wouldn't be sad to see Moss go.
CrackBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #78
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
I'm still blown out of my mind that people think Portis would generate any kind of favorable draft pick. I'm serious guys, i really believe that he would only get us a 4th round or 3rd round pick. And it's not just his physical condition/injury risk that would warn off teams...its his attitude too.
I'd take a 3rd for Portis any day of the week.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #79
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
No one is giving us a ham sandwich for Portis, Cooley or Landry. They have stupid contracts and no one is going to take them on.

The guys that could get traded would be Campbell and Rogers and we might get a 6th and 7th rounder for each.

Just like our coaches, people need to pull their head out of their asses.
First off, the point of the thread was to ignore salary cap ramifications. Second, you underestimate the value of our players and the stupidity of some NFL personnel folks (Lions, Browns, Raiders, etc.). Third, in an uncapped season dumping bad contracts in some sort of sign and trade is a possibility, even if the compensation is for 4th and lower round picks.

- Portis - some team looking for help at RB with a solid OL would be interested in him for a 1 or 2 year deal.
- Cooley - Pro Bowl TE, he has value.
- Landry - Has physical tools, upstairs seems pretty vacant but some defensive HC will look at him and blame his poor performance on the Skins poor coaching/organization and think they can make a superstar out of him.
- Campbell - as others have said he could be a solid backup or game manager, certainly worth more than a 6th rounder.
- Rogers - meh, if I can't get value keep him next year for depth.

and about pulling heads out of hind-quarters....think before you post.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #80
jgalecpa
Special Teams

Most are based on performance, some on trade value.
1. Fred Smoot
2. Jason Campbell
3. LaRon Landry
4. Chris Cooley (Trade value)
5. Carlos Rogers
6. Clinton Portis
7. Sanata moss
8. ARE
9. Chris Samuels
10. Mike Sellers

Financial Considerations not withstanding.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #81
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I'll up your ten
Moss
Portis
Campbell
Collins
Betts
Samuels
Heyer
Thomas(RAndy)
Rabach
Mike Williams
kelly
Randle El

Daniels
Wynn
Griffin
Laron(trade)
Tryon
Smoot

Rock Cartwright
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #82
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
You don't consider a 3rd round pick for someone with Portis's mileage "favorable"? Vinny, is that you?!?!?!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #83
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

(1) Chris Samuels
(2) Randy Thomas
(3) Clinton Portis
(4) Stephon Heyer
(5) Santana Moss
(6) ARE
(7) Ladell Betts
(8) LaRon Landry
(9) Fred Smoot
(10) Cornelius Griffin

(11) Renaldo Wynn
(12) Phillip Daniels
(13) Edwin Williams

(14) The entire coaching staff. All of them, no exceptions.

Yeah I know I went over but some of these guys are going to retire anyway.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #84
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
1) Heyer
2) Portis
3) Randle El
4) Sellers
5) R. Thomas
6) M. Williams
7) Rogers
8) Cartwright
9) Armstrong
10) W. Montgomery
Why cut him? He is our most consistent player.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #85
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
First off, the point of the thread was to ignore salary cap ramifications. Second, you underestimate the value of our players and the stupidity of some NFL personnel folks (Lions, Browns, Raiders, etc.). Third, in an uncapped season dumping bad contracts in some sort of sign and trade is a possibility, even if the compensation is for 4th and lower round picks.

- Portis - some team looking for help at RB with a solid OL would be interested in him for a 1 or 2 year deal.
- Cooley - Pro Bowl TE, he has value.
- Landry - Has physical tools, upstairs seems pretty vacant but some defensive HC will look at him and blame his poor performance on the Skins poor coaching/organization and think they can make a superstar out of him.
- Campbell - as others have said he could be a solid backup or game manager, certainly worth more than a 6th rounder.
- Rogers - meh, if I can't get value keep him next year for depth.

and about pulling heads out of hind-quarters....think before you post.
I have put plenty of thought into this and I disagree with the idea that I am undervaluing our players. The people who want to flat out release Haynesworth and Hall for nothing are undervaluing players. And the people who think we are going to get anything near a first round pick or multiple picks for any of these guys are in fantasy land.

You cannot completely ignore the cap numbers because if we trade the guys their contract goes with them. I am not worried about our cap hit, I am talking about the salaries in their current deals.

So there are two problems with Portis. One, a lot of people (I am not one of them) think he is done because of mileage and age. The second problem is his contract. Portis was the highest paid runningback this last year and produced like a backup. Good football teams don't spend ridiculous amounts of money on old runningbacks. Seattle and Arizona did it recently and both were burned. Except for a few guys, runningbacks are interchangeable. Teams would let us release Portis and then sign him but NOBODY is going to trade us anything for him.

Cooley - yes he is worth something but I don't see anyone giving us more than a third. He is expensive for a tight end and his contract would go with him.

Landry is probably the most valuable guy in your list but we would be trading him while his value is at its lowest. We might be able to get a second rounder for him but with his coverage struggles recently, maybe not.

If Campbell was worth a second rounder he would have already been gone and we would have Cutler. So 3rd is the highest possible pick and I am not convinced the interest is out there.

Rogers - I am sure we could get a 3rd rounder for Rogers maybe a 2nd. He is an above average cornerback, solid against the run and is still working off his rookie deal.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #86
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
I'd take a 3rd for Portis any day of the week.
Me too.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #87
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

1. Randle-El
2. Heyer
3. Cartwright
4. Smoot
5. Will Montgomery
6. Anthony Montgomery
7. Daniels
8. Portis
9. Betts
10. R. Thomas

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #88
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Glad to see more people realizing Santana Moss has just lost it. I've thought that going back a couple of years now. Showboating, (not just last night but last year in Cincy with the "shoe shining" crap) easily schemed out by opposing defenses, flashes of a temper that should have gotten him thrown out of games, the guy just looks more and more like a complete bum.

And yes, the comment about how he'd never play for another owner speaks volumes about the way things are around here.

Ship his ass outta here, I don't care if we don't get a pick for him, I don't care what the cap hit is.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #89
poopoobigelow
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
I have put plenty of thought into this and I disagree with the idea that I am undervaluing our players. The people who want to flat out release Haynesworth and Hall for nothing are undervaluing players. And the people who think we are going to get anything near a first round pick or multiple picks for any of these guys are in fantasy land.

You cannot completely ignore the cap numbers because if we trade the guys their contract goes with them. I am not worried about our cap hit, I am talking about the salaries in their current deals.

So there are two problems with Portis. One, a lot of people (I am not one of them) think he is done because of mileage and age. The second problem is his contract. Portis was the highest paid runningback this last year and produced like a backup. Good football teams don't spend ridiculous amounts of money on old runningbacks. Seattle and Arizona did it recently and both were burned. Except for a few guys, runningbacks are interchangeable. Teams would let us release Portis and then sign him but NOBODY is going to trade us anything for him.

Cooley - yes he is worth something but I don't see anyone giving us more than a third. He is expensive for a tight end and his contract would go with him.

Landry is probably the most valuable guy in your list but we would be trading him while his value is at its lowest. We might be able to get a second rounder for him but with his coverage struggles recently, maybe not.

If Campbell was worth a second rounder he would have already been gone and we would have Cutler. So 3rd is the highest possible pick and I am not convinced the interest is out there.

Rogers - I am sure we could get a 3rd rounder for Rogers maybe a 2nd. He is an above average cornerback, solid against the run and is still working off his rookie deal.
i agree with you about portis... it's one of those deals that if we put him on the trade block, an interested team will not give us anything becasue they know we'll want to cut him, and no one will want to rake his contract...

if we do decide not to keep campbell and tender him (i think we should keep him), you never know what we could get... looking at the contract orlovsky signed with the texans, (3 years, 9 mil!) and these same texans getting a fourth for rosenfels (a 4th!) -- both, now, third stringers... a premium is put on QBs that aren't on any other position... campbell could fetch a third rounder, maybe a second if someone were desperate enough... i think that campbell has garnered a lot of respect around the league for his handling the cutler/sanchez saga and for the moxie in getting up over and over...

rodgers could have value, but i would try to low-ball him and keep him for depth...

keep landry, let's see what a different/better DC can do with him... he has the talent and the tools to be very good... someone like gregggg williams got that out of him... blache wasted it...

i agree that there is no way you cut haynesworth or d hall... that would be beyond foolish...
poopoobigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #90
skinsfan69
Living Legend

1. Santana Moss
2. ARE
3. Randy Thomas
4. Clinton Portis
5. Mike Williams
6. Heyer
7. Chris Cooley....try and trade him