Coroner: Ryan Dunn Died Violent Death

Parking Lot

Old 06-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #76
MTK
\m/

Re: Coroner: Ryan Dunn Died Violent Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I probably have not described my "blocking" techniques on the road adequately enough. I'm not swerving in front of people when they change lanes. I just camp out in the left lane and refuse to go above 75. It doesn't feel dangerous in the least.
What if your blocking someone incited a road rager who then swerves to get around you and hits another car? It's possible your actions could lead to a dangerous situation.

Advertisements
Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #77
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
As for the bolded point, you're right. But he had the chance to change his behavior over and over and over and over. He was ticketed for reckless offenses so many times. At some point you just have to call a spade a spade, he wasn't going to change his behavior. He was just a reckless asshole.

Yes that is what makes me mad it is obvious this guy has a history of just not giving a crap and does reckless stuff that endangers other people. that is why I have a hard time working up the tear ducts for him.

Also here is what really gets me about folks like him. You can afford that car but won't pay the cab fare home? What a idiot.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #78
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
What if your blocking someone incited a road rager who then swerves to get around you and hits another car? It's possible your actions could lead to a dangerous situation.
If someone is incapable of controlling their anger, that's on them, not on me.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #79
MTK
\m/

Quote:
If someone is incapable of controlling their anger, that's on them, not on me.
Yeah but you would still be part of the chain of events that set them off. Glad you could just brush off any responsibility.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #80
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Was his license ever suspended or revoked? I mean you get ticketed for reckless driving so many times wouldn't it stand to reason that at some point he just wouldn't be allowed to drive anymore?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #81
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

I have to agree with Matty. S10's actions are making him a distracted driver.

I get really upset when I see folks texting and driving so much so I would "look" for them and then blow my horn. My wife pointed out you are just as distracted as them by trying to police them vs. just paying attention to your own driving. I agreed with her and now I just go about my way and stay alert to my own driving.

Doing anything other then watching the road make you a distracted driver.

S10 what you are doing makes you distracted driver. You are looking for speeders then you are trying to slow them down. Your adrenaline is going and you are focused on slowing them down vs. giving 100% of your attention to your own driving. Been there with done that I know it is dangerous.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #82
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Was his license ever suspended or revoked? I mean you get ticketed for reckless driving so many times wouldn't it stand to reason that at some point he just wouldn't be allowed to drive anymore?
Apparently 23 times is not enough to take your licenses away.

Shocking details of Ryan Dunn's driving record revealed - Entertainment & Stars
Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #83
Schneed10
A Dude

And for the record I've never encountered that situation, and I've been Schneed the Road Vigilante for quite some time.

But getting back to the crux of the discussion, at some level, everyone does something at some point in their lives that somehow endangers others. I left the baby gate unsecured one time and my daughter almost took a header down the stairs. I block the left lane while driving which I guess could THEORETICALLY magnify the probability of a road rage incident. Some women put on make-up in the car when running late, on occasion. etc. etc. etc. Are any of these things good? No.

But the risk Ryan Dunn represented to other drivers was so great that in my mind it outweighed whatever positives he brought to the table in his life. Will his family see it that way? Of course not, because they loved him and felt that emotional connection. But strip away the emotions, and the West Chester area is better off.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #84
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

I get really upset when I see folks texting and driving so much so I would "look" for them and then blow my horn. My wife pointed out you are just as distracted as them by trying to police them vs. just paying attention to your own driving. I agreed with her and now I just go about my way and stay alert to my own driving.

S10 what you are doing makes you distracted driver. You are looking for speeders then you are trying to slow them down. Your adrenaline is going and you are focused on slowing them down vs. giving 100% of your attention to your own driving. Been there with done that I know it is dangerous.
Well said.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #85
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
He had his license suspended several times and was still caught driving recklessly.

That's the part that's so egregious. There was no regard for the legal system, let alone regard for trying to do the right thing.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #86
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Apparently 23 times is not enough to take your licenses away.

Shocking details of Ryan Dunn's driving record revealed - Entertainment & Stars
Thanks for the info
Old 06-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #87
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
And for the record I've never encountered that situation, and I've been Schneed the Road Vigilante for quite some time.

But getting back to the crux of the discussion, at some level, everyone does something at some point in their lives that somehow endangers others. I left the baby gate unsecured one time and my daughter almost took a header down the stairs. I block the left lane while driving which I guess could THEORETICALLY magnify the probability of a road rage incident. Some women put on make-up in the car when running late, on occasion. etc. etc. etc. Are any of these things good? No.

But the risk Ryan Dunn represented to other drivers was so great that in my mind it outweighed whatever positives he brought to the table in his life. Will his family see it that way? Of course not, because they loved him and felt that emotional connection. But strip away the emotions, and the West Chester area is better off.
I agree that is crux of the discussion we have all done things to endanger others but Ryan Dunn was a habitual offender when it came to endangering others on the road. Look at at my link above he 23 citations, how often was he driving dangerously to be caught 23 times!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #88
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

I'm not really looking for anybody, and I certainly don't feel any adrenaline. I simply camp out in the left lane when people are trying to speed, and I keep my speed constant at 75. I don't seek them out and swerve in front of them, it's not some big battle, it's much more of a passive thing. I simply drive 75 in the left lane and those who don't like it can shove it.

But this is getting away from the crux of the argument. I'll grant you that yes I suppose there's the remote possibility that I could anger someone, thus nominally magnifying the probability that an accident occurs. While I've never encountered such a thing, rather than tempting fate, maybe I'll rethink doing that and instead just get out of the way.

But Ryan Dunn never learned from any mistake. He didn't care, he just kept doing it. It made him a real and significant threat on the roads. Now that he's gone, it's safer for everyone.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #89
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Seriously though we need football back we are all on edge.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #90
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Seriously though we need football back we are all on edge.
No kidding.