Old 09-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #76
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Re: Orakpo and Carriker Done for Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dull Roar View Post
R.I.P. Redskins defense '12

We hardly knew yee
LOL that's excellent whether you're serious or not!

Advertisements
Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #77
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I love how a thread about two defensive players being out for the season is now a thread about whether Aldrick Robinson has enough speed. Nice.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #78
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I love how a thread about two defensive players being out for the season is now a thread about whether Aldrick Robinson has enough speed. Nice.
Orakpo was hurt because Robinson runs a slow 4.4. Discuss.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #79
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Lol. It's amazing the fresh ideas people come up with around here.
Ain't it the truth!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #80
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
QB is the most talented position group. After that I don't know...maybe a tie between a lot of mediocrity. But specific to WR neither Morgan nor Robinson are legit starters i.e. neither will be a regular starter for another franchise in the NFL. Robinson is a decent route runner but lacks speed and seems to get lost downfield. Also, he's not breaking tackles. Morgan has the physical gifts to be a starter but doesn't have the football IQ of a starter.

Garcon is a starter, but what a meant earlier is this foot injury is likely to linger...they often do
Hankerson should start IMO and Moss in the slot. But if Garcon isn't healthy enough to be effective there's room for a legit starter. I think that guy should replace Banks btw.

At the same time we need to bolster the defense with today's injury news. I just don't think Carter is the answer...who else is out there?

Edit: LB is probably the most talented (after QB) like another said. London is the man. Kerrigan is now the 2nd best player on defense. Riley and the new starter need to step up!!
There is no way you can justify QB being our deepest and most talented position. After Griffin, you've got a a COMPLETE UKNOWN in cousins and COMPLETELY HORRIBLE player in grossman.

You know you have good depth when you starter leaves Thr game and you don't miss a beat. We've experienced that with WR and, to a lesser degree, LB. If you want to say QB is our deepest position, then explain to me how you k ow the drop off from griffin to cousins to grossman is less significant than the drop off from garçon to Robinson to hankerson.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #81
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Orakpo was hurt because Robinson runs a slow 4.4. Discuss.
Maybe Orakpo should've been the one running the 4.4?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #82
calia
Playmaker

Let's not forget that Nield is also on IR (and folks thought we'd be seeing good stuff from him this year too), as are Minnifield and Bernstine. To have lost two defensive starters and three depth guys -- and only 5 quarters into the season -- is pretty rough. I know injuries happen (look at the Packers two years ago), but it isn't as though we had great depth to begin with.

The person I feel sorriest for is Fletcher. He has got to be thinking that he cannot have too many more chances at a ring with the Redskins, and without saying that we were headed that way this season (that would be overly optimistic), I think this likely ensures that we'd be incredibly lucky to get to the post-season.

Time for others to step up.

Speaking of which, did Cofield not play yesterday? He's not credited for a single tackle, sack, or anything else.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #83
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
There is no way you can justify QB being our deepest and most talented position. After Griffin, you've got a a COMPLETE UKNOWN in cousins and COMPLETELY HORRIBLE player in grossman.

You know you have good depth when you starter leaves Thr game and you don't miss a beat. We've experienced that with WR and, to a lesser degree, LB. If you want to say QB is our deepest position, then explain to me how you k ow the drop off from griffin to cousins to grossman is less significant than the drop off from garçon to Robinson to hankerson.
RGIII (alone) makes QB the most talented position group IMO. Cousins looked good in preseason so that's something. LB group is definitely talented.

I think we did miss Garcon yesterday. Don't remember seeing any of our WRs break a tackle for extra yards.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #84
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
Let's not forget that Nield is also on IR (and folks thought we'd be seeing good stuff from him this year too), as are Minnifield and Bernstine. To have lost two defensive starters and three depth guys -- and only 5 quarters into the season -- is pretty rough. I know injuries happen (look at the Packers two years ago), but it isn't as though we had great depth to begin with.

The person I feel sorriest for is Fletcher. He has got to be thinking that he cannot have too many more chances at a ring with the Redskins, and without saying that we were headed that way this season (that would be overly optimistic), I think this likely ensures that we'd be incredibly lucky to get to the post-season.

Time for others to step up.

Speaking of which, did Cofield not play yesterday? He's not credited for a single tackle, sack, or anything else.
Was wondering the same. Was gonna look closer on the replay but I don't think NFLN has scheduled it yet.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #85
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Bring back Markus White or Bryan/Ryan kehl.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #86
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dull Roar View Post
R.I.P. Redskins defense '12

We hardly knew yee
LOL! Gona miss those 63 points given up in two games!

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #87
MTK
\m/

Quote:
References to combine numbers (no pads, perfect conditions) drive me bonkers. Gamespeed is a whole nuther animal. If speed stats translated to the field Jerry Rice wouldn't have played pro ball...and a million guys nobody knows would be HOFers.

Robinson doesn't outrun defenders, he gets open by running good routes though and that is definitely valuable. Garcon outran Patrick Robinson after Robinson bumped his teammate and stumbled a bit. Otherwise Garcon hasn't blazed by anyone. But Garcon plays hard and will break a tackle here and there. Both guys have qualities though and especially with Garcon we haven't had a WR who could break tackles in a long, long time.
You seem to think if guys don't take every catch to the house they don't have speed.

Garçon has more than enough speed, he showed it last week and in Indy. Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Robinson is also plenty fast. There was a play yesterday where he was wide open and took the lid off the D, as Tim Ryan said, and Griffin simply didn't see him.

For someone who seems so hung up on speed, I don't understand why you talk up slowsters like Plax or Gaffney.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #88
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
RGIII (alone) makes QB the most talented position group IMO. Cousins looked good in preseason so that's something. LB group is definitely talented.

I think we did miss Garcon yesterday. Don't remember seeing any of our WRs break a tackle for extra yards.
I think where we disagree is in our definition of "most talented position group." At the moment, RGIII is the most talented player on our team period - and by a fairly wide margin. If we only looked at the starters, i'd agree with you. But when we consider depth, we're by necessity considering the drop off between the starter and the backup. Cousins is the backup and he's an unknown that looked good in preseason - still, the dropp-off between him and RGIII is substantial. If you think QB is a deeper position, you would be essentially say we'd do better as a team with cousins and our starting WRs than RGIII and our backup WRs. I just dont see it.

Using my definition of depth as being drop off in talent between starters and backups, i'd rank our deepest position groups as being (in order):
1. WR
2. LB
3. DL
4. RB
5. TE
6. QB

If we're going to lose players to injury, i think our team can best afford to lose players in that order (WR would hurt our team the least, QB would hurt our team the most). I didnt rank DB at all because we have no talent there to speak of in the first place.

Getting back to the topic of the thread, we've lost a starting LB and DL and have compentent backups to step in. I really dont think the drop off will be that signficant in our starting lineup. We've got GOOD DEPTH at those positions. Honestly, if someone told we were going to lose two defensive starters, and gave me the choice of picking the two to lose, i'd have chosen Carriker and Orakpo. Think of how bad we'd be off if we'd lost Kerrigan and Bowen.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #89
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Bring back Markus White or Bryan/Ryan kehl.
Supposedly Haslett really liked Kehl. I think he can play inside too.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #90
Swarley
The Starter

To stay on topic, injuries arent exactly the death knell to playoff chances. We saw the Giants overcome injuries last season and win it all and the Packers did the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Robinson is also plenty fast. There was a play yesterday where he was wide open and took the lid off the D, as Tim Ryan said, and Griffin simply didn't see him.
Great point right there