Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

McNabb says black QBs criticized more

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-21-2007, 02:44 PM   #76
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Re: And now I don't care about McNabb...

McNabb's intense scrutiny is really a product of playing in Philly, not his being black. I went to college in Philly in the 80's, and I vividly recall idiot Philly fans booing Mike Schmidt, perhaps the greatest ballplayer in the 100+ years of their franchise. In Philly, that just comes with the territory. That said, McNabb has labored an entire career with a series of stiffs at WR (T.O. aside), and managed to be one of the better QBs of this generation. Give him Peyton Manning's WRs and Donovan would have two rings by now.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #77
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
McNabb is trying to turn the table on this so people don't see just how bad he is in the playoffs. I do not blame the Phily fans for getting restless...they are a perennial playoff team, yet they have not won anything. How is this? Who is the first to be blamed in these cases? The QB!
McNabb has been the reason they lost in 5 playoff games. That's 5 years worth of losses. That's HUGE!
2000- 181 yards, 1td, 1int
2001- 171 yards, 1td, 1int
2002- 243 yards, 0td, 1int
2003- 100 yards, 0td, 3int
2004- 357 yards, 3td, 3int*
*- in the super bowl, those 3int's killed the eagles...he played fairly well otherwise.
In 5 games, he threw for 1052 yards, 5tds, and 9int's. This is a guy that averages a little under 2 td's a game, and a little over .5 int's a game, yet in the playoff losses he averages only 1 td but almost 2 int's a game?
I ask you, what QB in the league has performed this poorly in the playoffs and not gotten any scrutiny? If you ask me, he's lucky to not get more flack from people. He's the true choke artist. Most people don't even get that many chances to prove themselves...he's had ample opportunity and blew it. Again, this is not about race, it's about him, and he's trying to deflect it to be about race.
You want to talk about race in sports, then let's talk about how many white people there are playing basketball.
You're analyzing it backwards. I loosely agree with what you are saying, but the idea is not to take all the playoff loses and try to blame McNabb for them. It's to try to find out who was most responsible for those losses.

My answer: The Bucs, Panthers, and Patriots. McNabb didn't beat those teams because his team was worse than those teams. His numbers in those games reflect the dominances of those defenses. Course that wasn't just McNabb's line against them. That was every QB they played in those seasons.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #78
irish
Playmaker

Re: McNabb says black QBs criticized more

If he had lead Philly to a Super Bowl championship or 2 he'd be the toast of the town. Unfortunately he hasnt and the brutal Philly fans are letting him know it. This all seems like sour grapes to me.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #79
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
McNabb is trying to turn the table on this so people don't see just how bad he is in the playoffs. I do not blame the Phily fans for getting restless...they are a perennial playoff team, yet they have not won anything. How is this? Who is the first to be blamed in these cases? The QB!
McNabb has been the reason they lost in 5 playoff games. That's 5 years worth of losses. That's HUGE!
2000- 181 yards, 1td, 1int
2001- 171 yards, 1td, 1int
2002- 243 yards, 0td, 1int
2003- 100 yards, 0td, 3int
2004- 357 yards, 3td, 3int*
*- in the super bowl, those 3int's killed the eagles...he played fairly well otherwise.
In 5 games, he threw for 1052 yards, 5tds, and 9int's. This is a guy that averages a little under 2 td's a game, and a little over .5 int's a game, yet in the playoff losses he averages only 1 td but almost 2 int's a game?
I ask you, what QB in the league has performed this poorly in the playoffs and not gotten any scrutiny? If you ask me, he's lucky to not get more flack from people. He's the true choke artist. Most people don't even get that many chances to prove themselves...he's had ample opportunity and blew it. Again, this is not about race, it's about him, and he's trying to deflect it to be about race.
You want to talk about race in sports, then let's talk about how many white people there are playing basketball.
The reason why more white people are not in basketball is because they are not the best players in that sport. Plain and simple.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:02 PM   #80
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Here's what I'm pissed about--why no black kickers!

J/K, obviously. I agree that there is inherent racism throughout the US, though much of it below the surface. But it's getting better. These things take time.

As for Donovan's stats, etc.--my guess is that many teams in many cities would be happy to get McNabb even now, much less a few years ago. He's kicked our asses enough times for me to appreciate that he's a high quality NFL QB. He hasn't won a SB, so that's gonna dog him for his career unless he manages to do so.

Race is a tough thing, especially here in the US with our long history of race problems. So I think he was correct in his comment. But he no doubt didn't help his standing by making the comment, especially given the timing. But I respect McNabb, and so I give him the benefit of the doubt here. ANY comment about race is going to cause a firestorm. But not speaking up about it is probably worse--getting these things out in the open and debated will help, even if it takes a long time.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #81
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
You're analyzing it backwards. I loosely agree with what you are saying, but the idea is not to take all the playoff loses and try to blame McNabb for them. It's to try to find out who was most responsible for those losses.

My answer: The Bucs, Panthers, and Patriots. McNabb didn't beat those teams because his team was worse than those teams. His numbers in those games reflect the dominances of those defenses. Course that wasn't just McNabb's line against them. That was every QB they played in those seasons.
Well, we obviously agree on many points, but I feel the need to say this, big players come up big in big games. McNabb get's lost along the way. The man is an OUTSTANDING Qb in the regular season, but when he's cold (for whatever reason) then the Eagles lose.
He needs to be good enough to overcome a good D, otherwise they lose the game.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #82
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The reason why more white people are not in basketball is because they are not the best players in that sport. Plain and simple.
LOL...that is a racist comment, and blatently untrue.
I have known SEVERAL GREAT white players...shoot lights out...much better than their black counterparts, but because they were not black, they didn't start...or even make the team in some cases.

My buddy, Ken Jones, lived in Fort Myers. He was the #1 player in the state of Florida back in the early 90's in High School. No college team offered him a scholarship.
Why is it OK to accept racism in certain cases, but not others?

This is off the point, and I apologize for it. But what I mentioned is real, what McNabb mentions is imagined. (at least now it is imagined...I agree that it took a lot to get the black QB in the game...Moon and Williams were trailblazers.)
Old 09-21-2007, 04:14 PM   #83
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
For every Shaun King (who took his team to the NFC Championship game & was in the league less than 5 years) there are 2-3 Todd Collins, players who were never starters yet carved out a long career as a backup.. Aaron Brooks holds a lot of Saints passing records (over Archie Manning), Jackson was a second round pick and is still young, Peete was a high draft pick who started for most of his career, Blake & Wright are somewhat exceptions to the rule..
I don't think it matters if you're Blake or Wright...
Old 09-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #84
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
For every Shaun King (who took his team to the NFC Championship game & was in the league less than 5 years) there are 2-3 Todd Collins
Not every player makes a good back up. King is a perfect example. King didn't deserve to be the starter, but somehow he was thrusted in that position and didn't perform well when he got there.
The difference between a king or a collins, is collins is willing to sit on the bench and do whatever it takes to coach and help the team...King sat on the bench and bitched that he was on the bench.
Those are massive differences if you ask me, yet both have similar talent.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #85
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
I don't think it matters if you're Blake or Wright...
Best post of the entire thread. Instant Warpath Classic
Old 09-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #86
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
LOL...that is a racist comment, and blatently untrue.
I have known SEVERAL GREAT white players...shoot lights out...much better than their black counterparts, but because they were not black, they didn't start...or even make the team in some cases.

My buddy, Ken Jones, lived in Fort Myers. He was the #1 player in the state of Florida back in the early 90's in High School. No college team offered him a scholarship.
Why is it OK to accept racism in certain cases, but not others?

This is off the point, and I apologize for it. But what I mentioned is real, what McNabb mentions is imagined. (at least now it is imagined...I agree that it took a lot to get the black QB in the game...Moon and Williams were trailblazers.)
Well when you have your own NBA or college basketball team you can scout and pick up all these alleged white phenoms that are being over looked by the experts.....Then you'll show them!!!!
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #87
WillH
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWsleep View Post
Here's what I'm pissed about--why no black kickers!

J/K, obviously. I agree that there is inherent racism throughout the US, though much of it below the surface. But it's getting better. These things take time.

As for Donovan's stats, etc.--my guess is that many teams in many cities would be happy to get McNabb even now, much less a few years ago. He's kicked our asses enough times for me to appreciate that he's a high quality NFL QB. He hasn't won a SB, so that's gonna dog him for his career unless he manages to do so.

Race is a tough thing, especially here in the US with our long history of race problems. So I think he was correct in his comment. But he no doubt didn't help his standing by making the comment, especially given the timing. But I respect McNabb, and so I give him the benefit of the doubt here. ANY comment about race is going to cause a firestorm. But not speaking up about it is probably worse--getting these things out in the open and debated will help, even if it takes a long time.
Yeah I agree racial issues need to be discussed to try and bridge the gap, but as hooskins said earlier, he didnt express himself articulately, he was concerned with only his own hardships, and wasnt able to backup his stance when pressed on it...I would have expected him to show more maturity then that. There are racial issues that are of much greater concern then a handful of ignorant people criticizing McNabb, or any black qb, and I wish he could have realized that, even after the fact and expressed that his hardships are nothing compared to say the situation in Jena.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:41 PM   #88
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Michael Wilbon's colum in todays WashPost raised some interesting concepts relevant to McNabb's coments. He made reference to many of the young QB's, espically Vince Young who are basically too young to fully understand the true plight of the Black QB in pro football. Further, many of the people who write stories and ask questions that stir controversy about the matter are also much too young to really know about those who actually paved the way for guys like Young, Campbell, Vick and other young african american QB's. The young one's today have prospered as a result of the trailblazers of yesteryear who paved the way for them to be where they are today.

When the question was put to Jason Campbell about McNabb's remarks, his answer was measured, and he chose his words carefully in crafting a response.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #89
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Yeah I agree racial issues need to be discussed to try and bridge the gap, but as hooskins said earlier, he didnt express himself articulately, he was concerned with only his own hardships, and wasnt able to backup his stance when pressed on it...I would have expected him to show more maturity then that. There are racial issues that are of much greater concern then a handful of ignorant people criticizing McNabb, or any black qb, and I wish he could have realized that, even after the fact and expressed that his hardships are nothing compared to say the situation in Jena.
Like people who think there are no white people that can play basketball.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #90
SkinsFanSince91
Special Teams

I believe McNabb is right in his observation, but we have been thru this before with Rush Limbaugh. Everyone knows that black people undergo scrutiny whether they like it or not, but he continues to utter that sentiment.

So, in my opinion, he feels he must say it over again so that people are reminded that it still exists, or he does it because its a shield.

We wont know unless we ask him