Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Week 1: Let's Go!!!!

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #76
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: Week 1: Let's Go!!!!

I do couldn’t be less excited about this season. I have not been excited about a season since RG3

Advertisements
Old 09-09-2020, 07:12 PM   #77
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I do couldn’t be less excited about this season. I have not been excited about a season since RG3
I’d say this is the most excited I’ve been since the year we came off making the playoffs with cousins. If it wasn’t for covid I’d be returning to fed ex.

I think most fans are treating this as a true rebuild year with proven coaching talent and new front office management coming in. We have cap space and a young group on both sides of the ball with no expectations.

I’m relatively happy

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:52 PM   #78
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Our D is legit, despite what some say about our secondary, it’s solid. The pressure Young, Sweat, Allen and Payne will help the secondary. Our O will be better than last year.

So we are better than last year...there is a long way between last year and the playoffs. We could triple our win total and still not make the playoffs...as always though your optimism is second to none and I hope you are right!
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #79
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

Im right there. It is part covid related - will players start opting out more/ getting sick God forbid as the season winds on and make it meaningless? Couple that with our current team and tough schedule and well ....yeah....I smell freed up Sundays and a high draft pick. Of course the lead up to game one is always filled with high hopes. I will remain vested in the season to some extent...win or lose...to see if Haskins grows.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:10 PM   #80
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I'm glad the team is starting over but I'd be shocked if they were any good
Old 09-09-2020, 10:30 PM   #81
rocnrik
Playmaker

Over and under on how many minutes it will be before folks are cursing the team calling for RR to be fired etc etc .... I’m on here for the game day thread..😀.. messin with you guys ! Serious with all that’s going on we gotta be patient with this team ... some hurdles we face include a new head coach ( with health issues .. I pray he is healed) . A scandal involving front office and owner and who knows how deep it goes , The Covid issue ( every team Has to deal ) , the whole name change issue( with everything else it’s not a big deal ) .. O line is suspect .. lots of young players .. this team could be not good record wise .. but it’s a good year to support them regardless .. I’m on board 100% to support the Football team ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #82
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

In order of ascending difficulty: Contain Miles Sanders. Limit Zach Ertz's contribution. Score some points.

Game then won.

Our db's may be problematic, but the Eagles are starting their back-ups. I just gotta believe that CY and Sweat are going to force Wentz into mistakes and that Payne and Allen are going to be shoving the pocket in his face. If they can do this while containing the Eagles run game, their offense is not going anywhere.

Ours may not either and therein lies the rub.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #83
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Per RR, it will be running back by committee. The running back on the field will be determined by the personnel group that Scott Turner calls. There is no designated starting RB. Furthermore, he stated that every RB on the roster will play. I'm assuming he meant that Bryce Love will play, as well.

This is from RR's own mouth in a video I watched on NBC Sports Washington this morning.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #84
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
Over and under on how many minutes it will be before folks are cursing the team calling for RR to be fired etc etc .... I’m on here for the game day thread..😀.. messin with you guys ! Serious with all that’s going on we gotta be patient with this team ... some hurdles we face include a new head coach ( with health issues .. I pray he is healed) . A scandal involving front office and owner and who knows how deep it goes , The Covid issue ( every team Has to deal ) , the whole name change issue( with everything else it’s not a big deal ) .. O line is suspect .. lots of young players .. this team could be not good record wise .. but it’s a good year to support them regardless .. I’m on board 100% to support the Football team ..
I don't think many of us have high expectations, if they win 6 games I'd be surprised. This offense will be bad
Old 09-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #85
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Per RR, it will be running back by committee. The running back on the field will be determined by the personnel group that Scott Turner calls. There is no designated starting RB. Furthermore, he stated that every RB on the roster will play. I'm assuming he meant that Bryce Love will play, as well.

This is from RR's own mouth in a video I watched on NBC Sports Washington this morning.
So we head into this season with an unproven no 1, the committee thing is perfect.

My biggest concerns on offense heading into the season:

1. Left side of Oline
2. Left side of Oline
3. Can Logan Thomas be a no 1 guy in an offense which relies on the TE?
4. Can Haskins take a step in growth at QB?
5. Can we get production from a WR not named Sims jr and Terry?

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #86
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
So we head into this season with an unproven no 1, the committee thing is perfect.

1. Left side of Oline
2. Left side of Oline
1 and 2. I think you should consider adding RT to your list of concerns. Moses was horrible last season and yet he is still the starter. Well, he didn't get good all of the sudden.

3. No, Logan Thomas is not the answer at TE. He is a sub-par blocker, for one thing.

4. Yes, Haskins will be improved but he will still make mistakes and he will throw more interceptions than we would like. Still, he needs to play.

5. Not in any meaningful way.

We've got more team building to do. Nevertheless, I think we may need to make a stopgap move or two to improve the OT positions this season in order to prevent serious injury to Haskins.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #87
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

I think this season could be very reminiscent of Gibbs 2.0 first season where the defense was better right out the gate, and this D probably has more talent, but the offense will struggle to get points consistently. Hopefully they get off to a fast start and get an early TD and get some momentum and grind out a win.
WFT - 16
Philly - 13
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #88
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post

1. Left side of Oline
2. Left side of Oline

I have the same concerns.
It's going to be easy to game plan for McLaurin if another WR doesn't step up.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:57 AM   #89
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I have the same concerns.
It's going to be easy to game plan for McLaurin if another WR doesn't step up.
McLaurin will get double teamed but there will be a lot of movement and scheme around chipping to protect Haskins, open up rb's, and offer quick outlets. I think this offense will surprise quickly.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:20 PM   #90
SunnySide
Playmaker

When Turner took over as the Panthers’ OC, he determined that they had been using their multi-faceted weapon, WR Curtis Samuel, inappropriately. They had been sending the blazing fast Samuel (4.31 speed) on vertical routes where he was able to get separation. The problem was, neither Will Grier nor Kyle Allen had the arms to get him the ball effectively. Once Turner became the OC, he drafted plays for Samuel out of the backfield, with nearly 50% of the WR’s carries coming in the 4 games that Turner managed.

He did something similar for lead WR DJ Moore. Turner, recognizing the shortcomings of his QB talent, fed Moore balls on intermediate routes across the middle, his strong suit. Moore is not the sort of WR with a well-developed route tree, but short passes, taking advantage of his ability to rack up yards after the catch, helped him finish as a top 10 WR in 2019.

In his early comments on Haskins, Turner has pointed out the QB’s strong arm and pocket presence, as well as his comfort with the play action game - which, it has been established, probably can’t be overdeployed. The new OC intends to cater to that strength. Turner has also noted:

“Something ... [Dwayne’s] done a good job of in his past and in college too is just being able to get the ball out quickly and kind of distribute the football to the playmakers and let them make the plays for him.”

The addition of Gibson to playmakers like Steve Sims and Terry McLaurin is the most direct path for Turner to make life easier on his young signal caller. It’s said that Scott’s father, Norv, hammered Cam Newton to “take the lay-up” - hit the easy route - when he got in trouble.

We can almost certainly expect the Redskins’ new OC to do the same with his young QB, providing him with a multi-talented arsenal of weapons that can both take advantage of his deep balls skills - a la Terry McLaurin and Antonio Gandy-Golden - as well use different pre-snap looks to run similar combinations of motion, shifts, and jet sweeps to get the ball in space to playmakers like Gibson, Guice, and Sims.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/5/5/2...urners-offense

This is Scott Turner's first time entering a season as the play caller. Should be interesting. I thought he was a west coast type scheme but after reading up .. seems he went short and quick for those 4 games in Carolina bc of personnel limitations.

With Dwayne's big arm, should be interesting.