Smoot Lays the Smack Down

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #76
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Really? Only an idiot would make such an absolute statement! I would humbly suggest that it is quite possible that Beck could be worse than "Eagles' game" Rexy. It is unlikely, but, given this will be Beck's first start in many years and that he has failed before, I don't think anything can be ruled out.

I hope he won't and don't believe he will - I am just suggesting that an abysmally bad John Beck performance is not out of the realm of the reasonably possible.
Outside of 5 games as a rookie late in the 2007 season in Miami and the TB preseason game, where did he fail? Cam Cameron was going to start him in 2008, but Cameron was fired. When CC signed on as the Ravens OC, he brought Beck in to back up Flacco.

Lots of folks were ready to throw away Rivers and Rodgers and giving those two guys a few seasons of sitting didn't hurt. Now let's not make the quantum leap to me saying Beck = Rivers/Rodgers, but the rest of the season is certainly time to fnd out if he can be more than a career backup.

Tripp touched on this in a post last night, what I think we're seeing here is Daddy and Jr. in a disagreement over how the O goes forward. My gut is Rex was Ks's guy and MS gave him (KS) the rope to hang himself. KS is hung, now MS will take more control and put more run/PA with his guy (Beck). I'm certainly speaking with optimism, same as the "we control the LoS and win" optimism I posted pre-game yesterday....we saw how that worked out.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #77
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Rex Grossman had a terrible game yesterday - - he deserved to be pulled.

The defense as a whole was "less than fully satisfactory" yesterday.

Here is something that bothered the Hell out of me in the 4th quarter...

The Skins had the ball with less than 9 minutes to play down 2 TDs. Last year - - and during training camp this year - - we all got to listen to lectures from the coaching staff about the importance of "offensive tempo".

OK, go watch yesterday's late 4th quarter and point out to me two plays where the "offensive tempo" was anything more than sleepwalking. Smoot lays down Smack; I am calling bulls[p]it on Mike Shanahan's lectures on "offensive tempo".
Memo to Coach Shanahan: If tempo means anything at all, you will be demoting a few guys from the offensive unit this week and delivering a few 10-EEE suppositories to several other guys.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #78
over the mountain
Playmaker

i thought about tempo as well. i think the answer mike gave was that with beck playing and he not taking any snaps with the first team O, they just couldnt run a faster tempo huddle and offense . . .

should have had beck taking some snaps with the first team O during the bye.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #79
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Mcintosh was "Bad Rocky" yesterday. He took bad angles and had his feet in cement. Ive seen this numerous times with Rocky, where he will be in position or in his gap and then when the ball shows up he waits to tackle instead of being aggressive, McCoy just runs around him after making a move. WTF
Agreed. He reminded me of this:

Just replace McIntosh with Balboa and chicken with McCoy.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #80
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Orakpo went helmet to helmet, so at least there was something substancial to flag. The problem was that the call of "roughing the passer" is incredibly generous there. Vick wasn't stepping into a throw to complete a pass, he was doing the only thing he could do to not be on his one yard line on the next play.

By the same token, Ronnie Brown was technically a "passer" on his goal line fumble against the 49ers, but he wasn't "roughed", he was tackled. If the passer is standing in the pocket and is defenseless, then give him protection on helmet to helmet. Once he flushes from the pocket, now the process of tackling gets more complicated, and I don't think you can flag helmet to helmet anymore at that point.

Brutal call.
Yes, brutal call. What really got me was that Vick intentionally grounded. So even if Rak got flagged for his hit, it still should have been offsetting penalties.

It should have been a safety but instead Philly got a free first down. Ugh.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #81
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Yes, brutal call. What really got me was that Vick intentionally grounded. So even if Rak got flagged for his hit, it still should have been offsetting penalties.

It should have been a safety but instead Philly got a free first down. Ugh.

IMO that was the turning point, they went on to roll us up after that drive
Old 10-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #82
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
IMO that was the turning point, they went on to roll us up after that drive
I felt that way at first, but sorry, the D has to step up, that's not an excuse for them to then rattle of a long TD drive. At some point you have to stop them on that drive.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #83
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Rex - I was in the "if it ain't broke" camp with Rex. But this game was the last straw, I'm done with this guy for good. It's not even the picks per se. It's the fact that Rex has zero game management skills. It's like he's playing Madden from his couch.. against the computer!! That pick in the 3rd right after we intercepted Vince was UNACCEPTABLE. If Rex was a gunslinging rookie I'd cut him some slack. But to see that from a veteran QB tells me there's no hope with this guy. I'm done with his care-free out-of-shape attitude. I can't think of a single scenario where I want to see Rex start again. I'd rather watch Beck throw 7 picks.

D - better in the 2nd half but we got steamrolled in the first half. It was a mini version of last year. And how do we not stop McCoy in the last 2 minutes??? Everyone knows he's getting the ball but we're still powerless. Weak. Eagles deserve some credit they ran a good game plan but still... our D is not there yet.

McIntosh - very bad game right after one of his best games. See chicken pic above.

Secondary - sucks. Can't understand why we're giving 15-yard cushions on 30-yard passes. I like Josh Wilson but he took a step back yesterday. Landry is the best cover guy in our secondary and that's a scary thought.

Refs - won't blame the refs for this loss but that call on Orakpo sucked ass. Changed the whole momentum of the game too.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #84
Gary84Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
This is no surprise anymore.....and I've got a HUGE problem with that. I don't know what the hell he's getting paid, but it's too much. If you aren't evaluating the opponent's weaknesses and preparing your gameplan to exploit those weaknesses you should be fired immediately.

This piss-poor playcalling/gameplanning is becoming a trend. If it doesn't improve before mid-season, MS needs to either take the OC reigns and minimize KS's role or get rid of him. This is not difficult to fix, I could fix it tomorrow.
I agree totally. Kyle seems not to do much homework. Maybe I was spoiled by Joe Gibbs and his work ethic but this is ridiculous. If it's the Eagles you smash mouth them, period. He think he is in the AFC South and preparing his offense to keep up with Peyton Manning every week. No wonder houston never won a playoff game while Kyle was OC. Kyle is lacking on credentials.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #85
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
Agreed. He reminded me of this:

Just replace McIntosh with Balboa and chicken with McCoy.
lolololololol

If you could get a skins jersey on Balboa, that pic could be avatar-worthy.

That represents the entire team trying to catch McCoy after yesterday's performance.

I think its hilarious that Reid has the second best RB in the league behind Peterson and I dont think he realizes it.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #86
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
Rex - I was in the "if it ain't broke" camp with Rex. But this game was the last straw, I'm done with this guy for good. It's not even the picks per se. It's the fact that Rex has zero game management skills. It's like he's playing Madden from his couch.. against the computer!! That pick in the 3rd right after we intercepted Vince was UNACCEPTABLE. If Rex was a gunslinging rookie I'd cut him some slack. But to see that from a veteran QB tells me there's no hope with this guy. I'm done with his care-free out-of-shape attitude. I can't think of a single scenario where I want to see Rex start again. I'd rather watch Beck throw 7 picks.

D - better in the 2nd half but we got steamrolled in the first half. It was a mini version of last year. And how do we not stop McCoy in the last 2 minutes??? Everyone knows he's getting the ball but we're still powerless. Weak. Eagles deserve some credit they ran a good game plan but still... our D is not there yet.

McIntosh - very bad game right after one of his best games. See chicken pic above.

Secondary - sucks. Can't understand why we're giving 15-yard cushions on 30-yard passes. I like Josh Wilson but he took a step back yesterday. Landry is the best cover guy in our secondary and that's a scary thought.

Refs - won't blame the refs for this loss but that call on Orakpo sucked ass. Changed the whole momentum of the game too.
Personally I'm not done with Rex yet. He is a solid option at QB and you can't underestimate experience with an offensive system. With that said Beck will hopefully give us not only the mobility and options off playaction but he will cut down on mistakes. If I recall correctly Rex was turning the ball over a little under twice a game since last year.

Still this was the upside of having Rex and Beck at QB. You can yank one without causing a huge distraction. I have barely heard anything on ESPN or NFLN about who will start for the Redskins next week. Compare that to last year when we benched McNabb for a series.

Anyway here's to hoping that Beck is a late bloomer. Until Silverback comes back we're going to need more from our starting QB.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #87
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Until Silverback comes back we're going to need more from our starting QB.
Really good point that no one is really discussing with the OL injuries. Grossman is a statue and Beck is very mobile. With Kory L. done for the year and Trent out potentially a few weeks, you have to take that into consideration regarding the QB.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #88
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I felt that way at first, but sorry, the D has to step up, that's not an excuse for them to then rattle of a long TD drive. At some point you have to stop them on that drive.
kinda hard wen they are holding on every single play and not getting.called.for.it..... like we were all game ...
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #89
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The biggest issue here is that the Redskins really shouldn't have been gearing up to compete in the NFC East and trying to convince people that they could do so with John Beck and Rex Grossman. 3-2 puts this team ahead of schedule, all things considered. And if the Redskins themselves hadn't allowed expectations to get unreasonable, we'd be talking about this team the same way as the Cincinnati Bengals, as an overachiever.

But while 3-2 is a decent start, it's not a good enough start to overcome the total lack of an offense. The Shanahan's should come out and explicitly say that they are building an offense that they can count on for next year. Play Austin. Play Hankerson. Play Davis. We're wasting time with veterans who are hurting us in the short term and have no long term value. And I just don't understand it.

Half of the wins by the Eagles and Cowboys have come against the Redskins. The Cardinals and Rams have combined for one win. The Giants win is still the clear outlier, but this team isn't good. It's a product of it's schedule.
They're trying to win now. That's why we're seeing Stallworth and Gaffney. I don't agree with it either. Glad to at least see Austin and Paul get in there. But it's very clear that MS wants the younger guys to earn it in practice and right now now they're not.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #90
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Nice break down Smoot. I honeslty saw two passes of Grossmans that the WR's failed to make a play on. Davis is the biggie for me. Why? cause of all the "I love Davis" fans who were ready to ship Cooley out, Davis is a big guy who does have nice hands but apparently not in traffic. I was sooo pissed the didn't run over the defender and take the ball out of the air.

My second issue is Beck was not 100x better then Grossman. He definitly didn't practice all week with the WRs but the defense didn't game plan around him either. He had a few dirt balls and a few over throws, and not different then Grossman the WR's were not helping either QB out very much with the dropped balls.

For whatever reason the run was not there this week even when we had all the starters in. This is what I was afraid of.... is why I said we need to get the ball beyond their DL with either screen passes or slants. I didn't see a screen pass until the 4th quarter and it worked for a 1st down. I don't recall any slants.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote