Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Who Stays And Who Goes? Perceptions Changing?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #76
pg86
No new threads for you

Re: Who Stays And Who Goes? Perceptions Changing?

Stays: Sherm lewis, Zorn (QB Coach) Cooley (because Davis on the other side looks epic), Campbell (I can't believe i said that but I really wanna see this kid get his chance behind a decent line), Moss, Thomas, Kelly, Ganther,Cartwright, hell maybe we keep AL but if Al really loves the game he needs to work his ass off in the offseason to elevate his game. I would really like to see Hall mature into a great CB, Reed needs to stay too and Landry needs to be in his natural position or at least be better coached in his SS pos.

Must go's: Rodgers, Randle El, Suisham, Portis?, Vinny (I dream of that), Release Collins.

I can't think of many else on that choping block we need to build depth, our offensive line, maybe a few more receivers, and I love our defense but we need to stack it for the price of Al (not knocking him) we could of had 2 good DT's.

Draft: O-line, Allen bradford as a FB, a QB to give Brenan and Campbell some fire under their ass in camp. I don't know about you but I'd like to see Pike or Clausen under center in preseason!

Offtopic though I feel kinda sorry for Clausen that he had to Leave ND like that

EDIT: Maybe I'm too harsh on Vinny...look who he's brought in.
pg86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #77
djnemo65
Playmaker

This final month will have to be considered an audition for everybody. If they continue to improve every week a compelling case could be made for continuity, but let's not get too excited about a couple of close losses against decent to great teams. I mean, it's not like we've been winning, just losing with style.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #78
pg86
No new threads for you

Yeah I got more bad news about this weekend....Were 37 point underdogs in Oakland
Old 12-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #79
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I wonder though what will happen when Portis and more importantly Cooley return. How will Lewis or whoever work Cooley back in and still develop guys like Davis?
Won't have to, nothing wrong with having two wide receiver sets. Screw it, lets develop some young receivers and worst comes to worse we can dump moss and randle el and be set in our receiving corps for years to come.

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #80
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
I believe the organization owes Portis something in the range of another $10million in guaranteed/deferred money. If so, I don't think they will do "everything in its power" to dump him...
Even though you said you'd cut him in a heartbeat?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #81
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I really dont see how you hold on to Zorn or Vinny at this point..the collaspe end of last season and 3-9 this season? Vinny has had his 10 years...1. We need to hire a GM 2. Snyder needs to keep from making football decisions...When it comes down to long term, I think this the best thing for the team at this point. Just because we have played better the last 3 games hasnt change my perception of what this team is: 3-9 and long out of the playoff race.
Yeah, I mean people are championing behind Zorn once he's had the least control since he's been with the organization. To me that doesn't scream "head coach material" by any means. I can see where people are coming from on a continuity discussion but that's about it. Zorn's limited playcalling is still a bit too Gibbs for me; settling for the FG with no real intention to get a TD unless we get lucky shouldn't be in the game plan against a team like the Saints. We had some good red zone playcalling and some that worked that could've gone either way (DT stiff-arm and tip-toeing down the sideline) as well though; why not do what was working and show trust in your players to make the plays that they're paid to make?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #82
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg86 View Post
Yeah I got more bad news about this weekend....Were 37 point underdogs in Oakland
I think that this is a joke but I don't get it or whatever context that it's related to.

We're actually favored though, but only by 1.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #83
Texanskin
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
If you look at the schedule of games played this year this team has been in every game. The worst loss was to Atlanta by 14 points and that was when during the 1st half the team looked as if had quit, after the second half these team has been playing a lot better despite all the injuries, turmoil and last minute heartbreaking losses. It would be dumb to let Campbell walk, we should fire Vinny get another GM, keep Zorn as HC and Sherm Lewis as OC, promote Jerry Gray to DC, build the OL, draft a LB and RB and we are on our way.
I could not agree more....trust me...if we draft a QB this year we will look like the jets.....remember sanchize????? We will be at the bottom of the barrel AGAIN without any hope in sight...at least now we are seeing our squad play HARD on offense if JC has time....oh yeah...he is reading the blitz very well now
Old 12-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #84
pg86
No new threads for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
I think that this is a joke but I don't get it or whatever context that it's related to.

We're actually favored though, but only by 1.
I've been to 2 Skins games in Cali..this will make 3..I desperately wanna see a win live of course if we do win my dad and I will probably have to run to the B.A.R.T.

These guys did beat the Steelers I just hope we as hard as they have been playing if not harder they deserve a win I don't think they will go winless on the road this year.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #85
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

Keep Campbell and fix the O Line. He has shown that if he is given time, like any qb in this league he can do good things. If we go into the offseason and just address the qb issue and ignore the line again we will be in this same spot next year.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #86
SBXVII
Franchise Player

.....Blow this shit up!

We've had 15 yrs of "were just one or two players away."
Out of the last 6 HC's only two were worth a crap; Marty and Gibbs.
Norv
Robiski
Marty
Spurrier
Gibbs
Zorn

QB: JC is gone unless we tag him or something. Mentally he's just a tad slow. 1 great game out of a 5 yr contract does not fool me. Dump Collins. Either draft a great QB or look to FA and pick up someone servicable to the scheme we are running. Pick one up a year from now if needed. Is Chase Daniels still available to compliment Colt?

RB: Their all old. Time for new blood. I'm a Mason fan and he's finally lost me. Ganther has been running, blocking, and catching great. Pick up another in the draft.

OL: Major focus for next yr. Hello OL, come one come all. We need you. Get rid of the old and bring in the young and healthy.

TE: Set.

WR: Set. Hopefully we have a more qualified position coach.

LB: Pick up a true SLB. Maybe pick up an undrafted LB.

CB: Bye Carlos. Pick up another CB for developement. Keep Hall (obviously), Tryon, Barnes, Westbrook, Horton, ???.

S: I think Landry needs to move to SS with Doughty and Moore. Pick up a true FS or two.

DL: Keep all the young guys. Get rid of the old broken guys. Obviously keep Haynesworth.

K: Can we find a great kicker?

P: Kinda satisfied, but if a better ones available then pick them up.

If we are going to blow this up now is a good time. Heard a "rumor" that Shanahan is a done deal ready to be announced. Heard it on 106.7 with Arrington. If anytime is good it's now so he can bring in his talent scoutes, his position coaches, hopefully his coach that helped him with the OL that made Denver such a great rushing team, and bring in a bunch of new OL to build with.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #87
Eknox
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
This is the challenge we seem to face every year. We always believe we're just around the corner. And when you look around the league it's not hard to think that.

Still, I think now is as good a time to make some tough decisions. I'd start by moving on from Jason Campbell. I like him and think he'll be a good to great QB in the NFL. Still, it doesn't look like a long-term commitment is in the cards for either side. And with so many QBs available in the draft this year it seems to make the most sense to move forward now.

Great thread
thank you SS & SBXVII I was wondering if everybody was drinking that same old Kool Aide, thanks for bringing a little reality back after that hard fought emotional win. We still need a QB who doesn't throw that pick.

Last edited by Eknox; 12-08-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Eknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #88
GMScud
Swearinger

I think the absolute best thing we can do as soon as the season is over is to hand over total control of football decisions to a new GM. From there, let this man decide where we're going.

The biggest part of what we can and can't do in the offseason hinges on the status of the CBA. The best thing that can happen to us is an uncapped year. We can dump garbage contracts (i.e. Portis), and it gives us more leverage with Campbell. Without a new CBA, JC is a RFA. If it's a capped year, he's unrestricted.

No salary cap and a new GM is far and away the best thing for the Skins in 2010. If it's not Zorn as HC (probably shouldn't be), I think we should still try to stay West Coast, especially if JC comes back. That's the best way to bring in new leadership and still maintain some continuity. There isn't a FA or top draft pick QB that is going to make us better in 2010. I like the idea of a guy like Pike or Lefevour after the 1st round. I would be thrilled if we shipped our high 1st round pick for multiples later in the draft. That would allow us to get a QB (regardless of JC's status), a RB, and more than one O-lineman, all before the 5th round. We're gonna need to look at LB as well, but I think we can make it one more year with Rocky, London, HB, Orakpo, and a FA or two.

On a side note, all the injuries and adversity have given us a good chance to evaluate some depth.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #89
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I think the absolute best thing we can do as soon as the season is over is to hand over total control of football decisions to a new GM. From there, let this man decide where we're going.

The biggest part of what we can and can't do in the offseason hinges on the status of the CBA. The best thing that can happen to us is an uncapped year. We can dump garbage contracts (i.e. Portis), and it gives us more leverage with Campbell. Without a new CBA, JC is a RFA. If it's a capped year, he's unrestricted.

No salary cap and a new GM is far and away the best thing for the Skins in 2010. If it's not Zorn as HC (probably shouldn't be), I think we should still try to stay West Coast, especially if JC comes back. That's the best way to bring in new leadership and still maintain some continuity. There isn't a FA or top draft pick QB that is going to make us better in 2010. I like the idea of a guy like Pike or Lefevour after the 1st round. I would be thrilled if we shipped our high 1st round pick for multiples later in the draft. That would allow us to get a QB (regardless of JC's status), a RB, and more than one O-lineman, all before the 5th round. We're gonna need to look at LB as well, but I think we can make it one more year with Rocky, London, HB, Orakpo, and a FA or two.

On a side note, all the injuries and adversity have given us a good chance to evaluate some depth.
That right there is what should drive our draft strategy. There will be no one on the board or out there that can come here and right the ship immediately. Which is why I fully endorse both Campbell and Zorn staying for at least another year.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #90
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Is the idea to be better in 2010 or better in 2010, 2011, 2012, etc? Can Sam Bradford, for example, be a better QB in 2010 than Campbell? Maybe not. But will he be a better than one than him two-three years from now? That's the question we really need to answer