Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins vs Rams Postgame Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your goat of the week goes to...
Haslett 52 50.00%
D. Smith 6 5.77%
Morgan 28 26.92%
The refs 11 10.58%
other 7 6.73%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #76
Gtothearry
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Mike Pereira, the ref guy for the league, showed how when Fisher challenged the Stephen Jackson play that not only was the red flag a 15 yard penalty, since the challenge flag was thrown before the challenge was initiated upstairs the challenge is then disallowed and the call on the field must stand. The call was fumble and we got the ball. Instead the Rams kept the ball and kicked the field goal... we lost by 3 points...
That is definitely true. What pissed me off more then anything was how many times a Ram player would push after the whistle, lay on a player for an excessive time,mouth off constantly or the 3-4 blows to the head.

The real refs would've stopped that early by throwing a flag each time. These non calls changed how the game was played from our side. They just missed the standard calls over and over again. Very frustrating game to watch...

Last edited by Gtothearry; 09-17-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Gtothearry is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #77
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Re: Redskins vs Rams Postgame Thread

I said on here a while ago, but I had the feeling every game is going to be a shootout for us this year. It's going to come down to RGIII outscoring our own secondary all season long. I love our offense. 40 and 28 points scored...we haven't seen this kind of scoring for ages. However, we've given up 32 and 31 points too.

Yesterday doesn't damper my excitement about this year's team at all though. We will still be dramatically better than last year.

I'm more angry about yesterday's game than disappointed or worried about the team. They played with a fire I haven't seen from the Redskins before. They were definitely furious about the refs and getting sick of the Rams' dirty tactics and cheap shots that the refs were allowing. Morgan's outburst was inexcusable but it was just a result of 60 minutes of frustration...we were playing against the Rams and the refs. I love the passion that Shanahan coaches with. He sticks up for his guys, even got in the middle of a brawl on the sidelines once.

I said to my wife during the game, "Coach Gibbs would never have allowed his team to behave this way, but I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm glad to see them fighting and caring about the game for once."

Janoris Jenkins and Cortland Finnegan are nothing but instigators....they've pulled some crap two weeks in a row. Fisher is an enabler too.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #78
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
Comes pretty easy after yesterdays debacle.I just wished one time he looked like he gives a Sh#$%^t.
If he looked like he was giving a shit but we were still losing games in the fashion we lost yesterday would it actually make you feel better?
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #79
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Good points by Keim. Especially these two points.

Quote:
4. Man, a lot of angry topics tonight. This one: special teams. Nobody draws more negative tweets on the coaching staff than Danny Smith. It’s the nature of the position; if there’s a hold on offense no one calls for Kyle Shanahan’s job. But with so few plays on special teams in comparison, perfection is demanded. I get it. Smith has a good reputation around the league and has been sought after by other teams. All that being said, he deserves whatever heat comes his way right now because his unit has allowed two punts to be blocked after a season in which five field goals were blocked. Each one is explainable, but this is a bottom line business and the bottom line is that this keeps happening. Based on how the roster is put together I’m not sure how much consideration is truly given to special teams – look at how many receivers don’t play it, for example. That’s how you have DeAngelo Hall ‘volunteering’ for special teams. Yeah, that deserves quote marks. But that’s not to absolve Smith. This is his unit and he’s paid a lot of money to make it work. By the way, on the punt block, Perry Riley appeared to be the guilty party. Last week it was backup linebacker Chris Wilson who made the mistake. That’s the troubling part, it keeps happening to different players.

5. I’ve never seen a returner get up and slap the ball, as if he were thiiiis close to breaking a long return as Brandon Banks. I admire his confidence but man. It’s almost every time. Need to ask him about this; it’s not a criticism but it is something that’s noticeable. Oh, and you know a game will turn on one of his fumbles, right? It’s happening too much anymore.
So spot on with the Banks thing. Dude acts like every run he does is so close to breaking free, but that's hardly the case. Not even close to breaking any.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #80
calia
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 goes 50 gut View Post
*shrug* well I disagree, probably take this aspect of the discussion up in the newly posted secondary thread so I don't derail here.
I reluctantly agree with Matty (as much as I liked blaming Vinny for everything, including global warming, and felt justified in doing so). Too many examples of coaches and GMs making turnarounds with little depth. Look at SF. Heck, I will bet the Rams finish near .500 this year. We have more talent on the roster than was displayed yesterday, and that is significantly on the coaching staff. I was "watching" the game on NFL.com, and I was struck by how many times with 3rd and 6, we'd get 5 yards. We had a LOT of 4th and 1 punts yesterday, and that's on Kyle and Mike. The special teams' debacles are too frequent, and that's on Danny. Our secondary was eaten alive -- that is on Raheem and Haslett (how we couldn't generate more pressure is beyond me). They may not be a strong unit, but the Rams have a very good QB and basically 1 receiver, and we could do nothing to stop them.

To be clear, there are individual failures aplenty to point out as well -- Morgan's dumb penalty, Robinson's drop; the list isn't short. And the refs did not distinguish themselves.

But the bottom line is that we've got an electrifying new QB who played reasonably well, but he needs folks (other than London "Mr. Consistency" Fletcher) around him to step up. And no one did yesterday. In his press conference, Griffin lamented the pick. Sure it wasn't a great pass, but he ran for 2 TDs and threw for the 3rd (and the other one was a defensive score). But we should still be competitive even if Griffin throws the occasional pick (which he will do).

We just have to play with more heart -- especially on D. If we can pick up a W against Cincy, that will be a nice way to bounce back from a disappointing loss.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #81
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Mike Pereira, the ref guy for the league, showed how when Fisher challenged the Stephen Jackson play that not only was the red flag a 15 yard penalty, since the challenge flag was thrown before the challenge was initiated upstairs the challenge is then disallowed and the call on the field must stand. The call was fumble and we got the ball. Instead the Rams kept the ball and kicked the field goal... we lost by 3 points...
I'm not sure that's part of the rule.. So even if a call is wrong, because the coach throws the flag the play doesn't get reviewed? Doesn't seem like the league would do that on what would have been an automatic review anyways. The 15 yard penalty would be for unsportsmanlike conduct for the review flag.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #82
Gtothearry
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
So spot on with the Banks thing. Dude acts like every run he does is so close to breaking free, but that's hardly the case. Not even close to breaking any.
True, every time he gets a chance I'm saying please don't fumble. Plus, on the last punt he ran 30 yards across the field to end up in the same place he received it. I say put Moss back there....
Old 09-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #83
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
If he looked like he was giving a shit but we were still losing games in the fashion we lost yesterday would it actually make you feel better?
yep.

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #84
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyRedskin View Post
I just think it was more poor defensive game planning and adjustments than Bradfords qb ability.
I think football is a lot less simple than "if my team plays better they will win every game because everyone else sucks". Certainly not getting to him, and our secondary being very weak all played a hand in the loss. But they pay the other players too.

Look if you don't know what you're looking at maybe read up on the dude a little. His arm is very good, his accuracy is absolutely phenominal Drew Brees like, his release is quick like Peyton Manning quick, he's got okay pocket precence, and better than average mobility, he had a great rookie season, and a bad sophomore slump (with no one at all to throw to).

The real problem here is that Skins fans expect the Rams to be basement dwellers, and secretly think the Skins are playoff bound after the Saints game (who BTW are just not the same Saints, judging by their first two games)... Not knowing how much improved the Rams are and how much better coached, some of you feel like you just watched an "upset" of a bad team full of scrubs beating a good team...

What actually happened was a team with around the same amount of talent as the Skins, coming off a last moment loss they should have won, played a team that was coming off an emotional high of winning a game no one gave them a chance of winning... A close game ensued, and the Skins dropped one too many passes, and the Rams made one too many plays.
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #85
Gtothearry
The Starter

How did you all like the icing of the kicker that cost us 3 points?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #86
scowan
The Starter

^^^^^^
Agree with a lot of 44 goes 50 gut.

Euphoria after last week makes us all think the Skins are world beaters, when honestly they are still in rebuild mode with a lot of missing pieces talent-wise. I watched the 49-ers last night and they are a well balanced team all the way around. Well coached, great Defense, efficent offense, and smart playmakers on both sides of the ball. RG3 actually in my minded overcame some of this teams deficencies yesterday and they were one made kick from just tieing, and if the Rams got the ball back in OT would have probably lost anyway, because the skins couldn't stop them.

If changes are not made, Andy Dalton is going to throw for over 400 yards next week.
scowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #87
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Robert Griffin III must limit the number of hits he takes to be successful - ESPN
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #88
stone
Camp Scrub

I don't post on here very often but I have to tip my hat to London Fletcher. The man is a beast. He got bent in half and on the very next play just lays himself flat out and rips the ball out... Redskins recover. Absolutely amazing! HTTR!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #89
44 goes 50 gut

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
I reluctantly agree with Matty (as much as I liked blaming Vinny for everything, including global warming, and felt justified in doing so). Too many examples of coaches and GMs making turnarounds with little depth. Look at SF. Heck, I will bet the Rams finish near .500 this year. We have more talent on the roster than was displayed yesterday, and that is significantly on the coaching staff.
I'm sorry but if you think the Niners are a thin team lacking depth you're just plain wrong. They had been rebuilding for years before Singletary got fired. The Rams likewise have been rebuilding for years, though they seem to have not been doing the best job of it, they are making strides now.

Still it can easily be argued that the Rams are a comparably talented team:

Secondary: Rams are better without any question
Linebackers: Arguably a draw (I'd take Laurinaitis over any LB we have except Kerrigan and to be honest some of that is my homerism showing)
DL: Skins
OL: Rams
RB: Rams
WR: Skins
QB: I like RGIII better, but Bradford is clearly going to be a franchise QB and might have a longer less injured career.
44 goes 50 gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #90
Kindoy
The Starter

Props to D-Hall for giving a damn yesterday, seemed like the only guy stepping up, defending and fighting for his teammates. Nice to see someone that cares and won't take shit from a bunch of punks. I didn't see him going out of his way to start trouble; seemed like he was the only one (including the refs) stepping in when his teammates were being pushed around.