Fresh Start Political Thread

Debating with the enemy

Old 09-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #871
SunnySide
Playmaker

Re: Fresh Start Political Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't sue the woman directly for getting an abortion, but you could creepily follow her to an abortion clinic and then accuse the clinic of giving abortions and if you win they give you 10 grand and pay your legal bills.
Youre right. You cant sue or punish the woman directly which is how they are trying to get around the "undue burden". Also by having citizens do it, its not govt action.

A random person doesnt have standing despite Texas legislature trying to create some new jurisprudence.

This will be struck down but the 5 justices allowing it to go forward ... absolutely going against their oath to uphold the law.

Like I said .. very dangerous for the SCOTUS seemingly becoming political. To sit on it is political bc they knew if they acted they would have to strike an unconstitutional law down.

How conservatives can cheer this on .. sad.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #872
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Youre right. You cant sue or punish the woman directly which is how they are trying to get around the "undue burden". Also by having citizens do it, its not govt action.

A random person doesnt have standing despite Texas legislature trying to create some new jurisprudence.

This will be struck down but the 5 justices allowing it to go forward ... absolutely going against their oath to uphold the law.

Like I said .. very dangerous for the SCOTUS seemingly becoming political. To sit on it is political bc they knew if they acted they would have to strike an unconstitutional law down.

How conservatives can cheer this on .. sad.
This. Now that SCOTUS is no longer immune to politics this will push the divide further.

I don't expect Dems to act on it though or to use it to push voters to the polls. I expected a bigger margin in 2020 after 4 years of Trump and the only thing it showed me was conservatives rose up to meet the challenge. If libs stay home next year thinking that everything's gravy because we hold the slimmest of margins in Congress we are going to get our asses kicked and things will get worse.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #873
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
This. Now that SCOTUS is no longer immune to politics this will push the divide further.

I don't expect Dems to act on it though or to use it to push voters to the polls. I expected a bigger margin in 2020 after 4 years of Trump and the only thing it showed me was conservatives rose up to meet the challenge. If libs stay home next year thinking that everything's gravy because we hold the slimmest of margins in Congress we are going to get our asses kicked and things will get worse.
Breyer needs to step down, we cant afford another RBG.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #874
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Weird to see “we don’t need political justices” but then see “we need political justices on our side.”

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:11 AM   #875
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Weird to see “we don’t need political justices” but then see “we need political justices on our side.”
Fair point, irony is not lost on me ... you can thank Mitch for playing politics with the bench. It got him an extra seat.

An extra seat gained by political gamemanship of party over Country. An extra seat for the explicit purpose of providing political and not constitutional results. An extra seat to do exactly what they have done with Texas.

Me personally, ive lost a lot of respect for the SCOTUS. It doesnt stand for what it is supposed to. Justices and laws are supposed to supersede and live above the political game of musical chairs.

Im sure in my lifetime we will see the SCOTUS made a farce. Just add a zillion justices to make it what it is, a kangaroo court portending to be neutral and unbiased to political affiliation.

------------

regardless of what you think about abortion or when the cutoff should be ... you cannot argue that Roe v Wade and its predecessors are not established Constitutional law ... that the conservative 5 have decided to play politics with.

^^ you cant argue against this. Roe is the established law of the land. SCOTUS playing games to get around it without actually addressing it .. shameful.
Old 09-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #876
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Lol…Roe vs Wade exists, it hasn’t been changed. The Texas law centers on fetal heartbeat. I get you don’t like it. I mean here in Virginia some fucking lunatic tried to pass a state law saying you could kill a child up to time of birth, on the day of birth.

Honest to god question, which turns your stomach more?

He Gets Us
Old 09-03-2021, 12:41 PM   #877
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Lol…Roe vs Wade exists, it hasn’t been changed. The Texas law centers on fetal heartbeat. I get you don’t like it. I mean here in Virginia some fucking lunatic tried to pass a state law saying you could kill a child up to time of birth, on the day of birth.

Honest to god question, which turns your stomach more?
The VA law would have allowed euthanization of a baby born that couldnt live on its own or serious deformities.

Honest answer - the VA. But one was shot down quickly and the other was actually made law.

--

honest question to you - do you think the 5 justices allowing the Texas law to go into effect without staying it until arguments could be heard is political judicial activism?
Old 09-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #878
nonniey
The Starter

Quote:
The VA law would have allowed euthanization of a baby born that couldnt live on its own or serious deformities.

Honest answer - the VA. But one was shot down quickly and the other was actually made law.

--

honest question to you - do you think the 5 justices allowing the Texas law to go into effect without staying it until arguments could be heard is political judicial activism?
Well there is always Vermont's 2019 law.
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #879
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

--

Im not sure. I really didn’t look at there reasons why or don’t know if I would entirely understand it. But like I’ve said I do disagree with the law. As I disagree with New York and the attempt here in VA. But I do know roe vs wade still stands

He Gets Us
Old 09-03-2021, 01:42 PM   #880
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Breyer needs to step down, we cant afford another RBG.
??? That's effing crazy , we need about 4 more of her!
Old 09-03-2021, 01:44 PM   #881
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Im not sure. I really didn’t look at there reasons why or don’t know if I would entirely understand it. But like I’ve said I do disagree with the law. As I disagree with New York and the attempt here in VA. But I do know roe vs wade still stands
their...

It stands but not in Texas. Let's not forget they also are free to carry guns anywhere, this is not going to end well. All Texians are now Bounty hunters.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #882
Giantone
Gamebreaker

There are an awful lot of men arguing on what Women should do with their own bodies ,that's BS.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #883
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
There are an awful lot of men arguing on what Women should do with their own bodies ,that's BS.
G1 this is ridiculous.

Side note, yesterday I realized what I’m getting my girl for Christmas…a tongue ring. I think it’s a must have accessory for women these days.

He Gets Us
Old 09-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #884
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
G1 this is ridiculous.

Side note, yesterday I realized what I’m getting my girl for Christmas…a tongue ring. I think it’s a must have accessory for women these days.

I hate to agree with you in any political thread but….. = exception
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 03:16 PM   #885
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Who speaks for all the males that have been aborted over the past 50 years?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote