Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Potential GM/HC/Coaches Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Your top choice for the next head coach?
Ben Johnson 25 51.02%
Bobby Slowick 3 6.12%
Mike MacDonald 10 20.41%
Raheem Morris 0 0%
Dan Quinn 2 4.08%
Mike Vrabel 2 4.08%
Bill Belichick 2 4.08%
Aaron Glenn 0 0%
Jim Harbaugh 5 10.20%
other 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 03:24 PM   #841
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Re: Potential GM/HC/Coaches Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
That sentence has a lot less sting if his intent was "for Detroit" which I think it was. Imagine our fan base on the verge of a SB and the OC leaves for a HC job after a devastating loss. We would pe pissed.

So I have no anger toward Johnson. Of course I wanted Macdonald so if we don't sign him I may be more mad at Johnson.
It's become the norm that coordinators for successful teams leave to become HC. Last year's SB loser lost both coordinators to HC jobs.
R.I.P. #21

Advertisements
Old 01-30-2024, 03:26 PM   #842
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
He didn’t say it , his actions showed it

Head Coach of your own nfl team > winning a SB as a coordinator

Basically he wants to be EB but without the balls to take the next step ; at least EB is willing to stick his neck out and risk the HC position

Ben is just Josh McDaniels 2.0 ; don’t go around saying you want something then pussy out at the bitter end

Fuck Ben Johnson ; go hire a leader with balls

I think he did say it, but that was after last season. Anyway I agree fuck him. Lol. Though I think his greed got in the way here. Thinks he is going to go be “the guy” in Detroit again and get the money next time. Dangerous game to play.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:27 PM   #843
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
It is bologna. He wants big money. He wasn’t getting it year one. At 37 he can wait another year.

Slowik is the guy now. It is all about the fact that we are drafting a quarterback and Slowik or BJ would be perfect. Also people saying if you want EB gone it should be Slowik. Keep that in mind.
Again you can’t be a HC and a effective QB coach as well ; it’s two full time jobs

I can be an amazing bartender but if they hire me as executive chef ; i can’t leave the hot line to make you a fancy drink

Fact Ben Johnson is a great OC

Unknown Ben Johnson as a HC

Being great at OC doesn’t necessarily make you a great HC

Also Kiem on his podcast this AM touched on Ben Johnson not being a great leader but more an X and O guy

It’s too different skill sets ; managing people and technically aspect of a job
Old 01-30-2024, 03:29 PM   #844
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Unless Harris and SEa offered some crazy low ball number

The bottom line is Ben got cold feet
Old 01-30-2024, 03:31 PM   #845
skinsfan69
Living Legend

FYI.. This is still not a good NFL job. No QB, no o-line, terrible defense and a stadium that gets overrun w/ the opposing teams fan base. You're going to most likely be playing a rookie QB. Maybe that's not for everyone. Johnson is only 37. He'll know when he's ready. Obviously he felt staying where he is was better than coming here.

I have no issue w/ BJ not wanting to come here. He's got it good where he is. Don't take it personally folks. These are human beings and coming to work everyday knowing that you have a chance at a SB may mean a lot to some guys.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:35 PM   #846
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Get Macdonald and then beat the Ravens when we play them in 2024.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:38 PM   #847
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Again you can’t be a HC and a effective QB coach as well ; it’s two full time jobs
Don’t agree with this.
Every HC has his area of strength. Andy Reid’s is O. BB’s is D. Rivera was great at napping and decimating rosters. A lot of them call the plays.
Some OC’s and DC’s are just glorified assistants but not necessarily in charge of the O or D.

At the end of the day I have faith, finally, in our FO and Ownership group to get the right people in place. However there are only a couple young upstart hotshot coordinators left out there now. Basically Slowik and Mac. I don’t care how good Peters can be , he can’t create these guys out of thin air. Well maybe with AI we can now?

Last edited by punch it in; 01-30-2024 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:54 PM   #848
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Don’t agree with this.
Every HC has his area of strength. Andy Reid’s is O. BB’s is D. Rivera was great at napping and decimating rosters. A lot of them call the plays.
Some OC’s and DC’s are just glorified assistants but not necessarily in charge if the O or D.
This made me laugh out loud, thanks.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:23 PM   #849
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
It's become the norm that coordinators for successful teams leave to become HC. Last year's SB loser lost both coordinators to HC jobs.
Absolutely true, but that doesn't mean that every coordinator has to leave, or is obligated to move on. Interviews are two way streets, and if he went through the process and ended up choosing to stay, that's his decision. I don't get the anger here.

Also, how did that work out for Philadelphia? not that I'm sad about it.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:34 PM   #850
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Don’t agree with this.
Some OC’s and DC’s are just glorified assistants but not necessarily in charge of the O or D.

At the end of the day I have faith, finally, in our FO and Ownership group to get the right people in place. However there are only a couple young upstart hotshot coordinators left out there now. Basically Slowik and Mac. I don’t care how good Peters can be , he can’t create these guys out of thin air. Well maybe with AI we can now?
Every year there is some hot coordinator and every year there are two QBs battling for the two best in the draft

Everyone is acting like Ben Johnson is like 100 slam dunk at HC ; we really don’t know he has never done it

Honestly what makes him better then EB ; EB was part of Patrick has won multiple SB ; on paper he is better then Johnson
Old 01-30-2024, 04:35 PM   #851
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Absolutely true, but that doesn't mean that every coordinator has to leave, or is obligated to move on. Interviews are two way streets, and if he went through the process and ended up choosing to stay, that's his decision. I don't get the anger here.

Im angry because I thought he was one of two of the right guys. Slowik being the other one. Definitely not angry at his decision. Dude wanted like 15 million a year. He figures if he goes back to Detroit and has another year like this that he can probably get it. Dangerous game to play, but his decision. I certainly do not agree he got cold feet. That is silly.

I wanted Slowik last year. I still do. I really think he is who they are going to target heavily now. I hope.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:00 PM   #852
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Good listen if you are bored

funny Keim ran this this morning; makes you wonder if he knew something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2xA...RdxRyt&index=1
Old 01-30-2024, 05:13 PM   #853
MTK
\m/

Truth is we really don’t know much about any of these guys. Johnson sure can scheme up an offense but we don’t know if he can lead a team.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:19 PM   #854
MTK
\m/

Quote:

He didn’t quite go through the process though, the team found out on the plane to Detroit. All he had done at this point was a video introductory type of interview.

Weird to bail when a team is flying out to see you.
Old 01-30-2024, 05:22 PM   #855
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
FYI.. This is still not a good NFL job. No QB, no o-line, terrible defense and a stadium that gets overrun w/ the opposing teams fan base. You're going to most likely be playing a rookie QB. Maybe that's not for everyone. Johnson is only 37. He'll know when he's ready. Obviously he felt staying where he is was better than coming here.

I have no issue w/ BJ not wanting to come here. He's got it good where he is. Don't take it personally folks. These are human beings and coming to work everyday knowing that you have a chance at a SB may mean a lot to some guys.
Most HC openings exist because the team was bad enough to get the previous guy fired.

When you look at our ownership, new GM, draft picks and cap room, there’s a good opportunity to get things turned around quickly. Look at what Dan Campbell did in just 3 years. And nobody wanted that job.