Coronavirus (political)

Debating with the enemy

Old 12-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #1
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Coronavirus (political)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Outside of Richmond and the DC Metro area, VA has a lot of rural areas, I know because TMobile is trash once you get off the 95 corridor. Md has the Balt - DC - Annapolis triangle, which is one big suburban sprawl in the middle.

Still kudos to VA, I didn't look at its numbers. If we took out Md to NY from the US numbers, I think the country statistically would be in a far different standing. I don't quite get why the outbreak hit the MidAtlantic so hard, NYC/NJ certainly would seem to bear a lot of the blame.

edit: look at NYC vs NY State:
New York City
Total cases
Deaths

New York State
Total cases

Deaths
Simple, people in the mid Atlantic just need to wear the damn mask!

This is interesting

https://news.yahoo.com/one-americas-...095926632.html
Old 12-23-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
^^ I actually did that 2 days ago (looking at States and comparing). Then I read your post about mortality rate per country comparison. That led me to look up country populations.

Was surprised how well VA is doing compared to MD in the mortality rate per 1M residents. MD has 921 per (22nd worst), VA has 551 per (42nd worst out of 50). I consider VA the closest comparison to MD. I do think MD population is more condensed vs Virginia but still.
A better comparison would be MA based on demographics. VA has a much lower population density and rural population.

Mortality rate is a problem but from an economic perspective is the hospitalization rates are because they take resources away from people expecting organ transplants, surgeries, car accidents etc. I don't see that data and would love to see it if anybody has it.

If you look at death rates U.S. is ranked 12th but we jump all the way up to 7th in cases.

Last edited by BaltimoreSkins; 12-27-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: forgot two words
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
SunnySide
Playmaker

obligatory fuck Covid .. im probably signing off on posting until Sunday, hopefully I can watch the game

stay safe yall, happy funky holidays
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
SunnySide
Playmaker

I read an article over the weekend about 1 republican senator against the 2k checks being given to everyone and I agree with him. I cant find the article now.

Federal employees have not missed a pay check. Military has not missed a pay check. State govt employees have not missed a pay check. I have not missed a pay check (although I have not taken any bonuses or fee sharing approx 10-15k).

2.1 million non-postal federal employees
1.3 million active duty military
500k postal employees
Countless of us who have still gotten a paycheck

Why just blanket give to Elon Musk or even me types?

You want to help the truly impacted?

Extend unemployment.
Increase unemployment.
Figure out the rental crisis crashing on us very soon.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #5
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
I read an article over the weekend about 1 republican senator against the 2k checks being given to everyone and I agree with him. I cant find the article now.

Federal employees have not missed a pay check. Military has not missed a pay check. State govt employees have not missed a pay check. I have not missed a pay check (although I have not taken any bonuses or fee sharing approx 10-15k).

2.1 million non-postal federal employees
1.3 million active duty military
500k postal employees
Countless of us who have still gotten a paycheck

Why just blanket give to Elon Musk or even me types?

You want to help the truly impacted?

Extend unemployment.
Increase unemployment.
Figure out the rental crisis crashing on us very soon.
The money gets spent into the economy which in turns helps. Take away the money from the Kennedy center and the Smithsonian . Doctors and Nurses and people on the front line haven't missed a check either but damnit in hell they can sure use it.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

You don't have to "miss a check" to be economically impacted by COVID. I've been employed full-time but they didn't give raises this year and cut off overtime. I've definitely lost out on more than 2K this year and it's noticed. When you're middle class, every dollar counts.

Fuck these politicians, this bill is garbage. We get peanuts while billions is spent on shit that has nothing to do with COVID relief.

Note - I've still been fortunate and I'm very thankful for that.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #7
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
You don't have to "miss a check" to be economically impacted by COVID. I've been employed full-time but they didn't give raises this year and cut off overtime. I've definitely lost out on more than 2K this year and it's noticed. When you're middle class, every dollar counts.

Fuck these politicians, this bill is garbage. We get peanuts while billions is spent on shit that has nothing to do with COVID relief.

Note - I've still been fortunate and I'm very thankful for that.
My performance and cost-of-living raises were both eliminated this year, I did the math and it would've been about 1800. So yeah, I'd love that 2k to replace what I lost this year as a local gov't employee.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:05 PM   #8
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
My performance and cost-of-living raises were both eliminated this year, I did the math and it would've been about 1800. So yeah, I'd love that 2k to replace what I lost this year as a local gov't employee.
Gonna be pretty funny if McConnell helps Republicans lose the senate in GA, then congress eventually passes the $2K, and millions of Americans still get the extra $1400, while Turtle is still in the Senate.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Mitch McConnell single-handedly working to destroy the republican party (or what's left of it, depending on perspective). Bad Turtle! Bad!!
Old 12-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
SunnySide
Playmaker

Difference between "need" and "want".

Guy who owns the lunch deli in my office building NEEDS help now. He doesnt even come in and open most days bc when he does, no one comes bc most of the building is empty work from home. The deep pain and loss in his eyes is striking. he put everything into that shop.

Dads who provide for their family by driving Uber or taxi NEED help now bc theyve made $0 since this began and owe 9 plus months of back rent and face evictions in 3 days.

--------

SD - we are the fortunate ones. Yes we were financially impacted but we were not financially impoverished. I apologize for ranting, of course not at you. im angry. Just getting angrier.

Me or anyone making 80k plus doesnt NEED 2k, they want it. We all want free money, "i can spend the money better than the govt blah blah blah" .. but Id give up my 2k if it means unemployment is increased and extended.

Giving me or anyone above me 2k, in this environment, is stupid and its like using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito.

Theyve had 9 months to figure this out. To figure out how to help small business and pay check to pay check people ... and their final fucking idea is to give everyone a $600 check? The United States of America couldnt roll up their damn sleeves and figure out how to use a scapula to extract the cancer and instead will just use a clumsy ass sledge hammer bc they were too lazy and divided to bust out the calculators and figure out a better option.

I am becoming more and more angry with our governments response to this. We are supposed to be a great Nation. this is not a republican vs democrat thing. If anything Im more mad at democrats bc I thought theyd be smart enough to at least offer up a real plan.

We are failing the stress test.

We are better than this.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

$600 barely pays anybodys rent... wtf are people supposed to do with that
Old 12-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #12
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Buy weed

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Buy weed
Hell yeah $600 at the dispensary would go a long way
Old 12-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #14
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
it's crazy. either do a plan that actually helps and accept the debt. (Don't add in anything not directly related) or acknowledge the government can't solve every financial issue, and shut the eff up. But $600/$2000 fight is equivalent to fighting over let them eat cake/ fuck that you need to let them have 2, both are useless solutions for a starving man.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

There is no good reason I need 2k as I haven’t been financially impacted by the virus outbreak. Get the money to the people who need it in rent or food assistance. It makes no sense for me to get 2k or even $600. I’m lost on the reasoning I should get this money

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote