Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 09-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #811
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Re: Let's talk good beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Went to a buddy's house over the weekend, who has similar craft beer tastes and a larger checkbook He goes to New England twice a year to bring back stuff from Alchemist, Tree House, Hill Farmstead. For instance, he brought back 100 cans of Heady Topper, which is mind boggling. Even moreso for the cash he shelled out for it.

So I had 2 Heady Toppers, which is amazing...although I think I prefer Union's Double Duckpin more. Both are quality Double IPAs. Which reminds me that I haven't had a 120 from Dogfish Head in a while.

Had a Tree House Julius. Reminded me of Cigar City Jai Alai. The color is outrageous, looks like an Orange Julius (hence the name I assume).

He traded some Heady for Pliny The Elder, so I got to try. Bottled 7/31, the hops had already gone bad. At least that's what it tasted like. I know IPAs should be had fresh, but it could have been how it was treated during transport and whatnot. So I checked it into Untappd but didn't rate. I'd love to try it fresh.

Split a Foundation Wanderlust. A hoppy farmhouse ale. It was a goregous yellow-orange color, and quite tasty. Would make for a great summer session beer.

Split a Lawson's Sip of Sunshine and Noda's Hop Drop n Roll with my buddy's wife (since they were in her beer drawer). Both very good.

I brought a growler of Flying Dog's The Fear, their Imperial Pumpkin Ale. It was my first pumpkin beer of the year and the first time I've had it. Quite tasty.

Last beer I got to try was Hill Farmstead's Grassroots Brewing Brother Soigne, which is a saison with lime and blood orange, which made for a great way to end the evening.
Very awesome lineup.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #812
MTK
\m/

I'm heading up to Burlington VT this weekend, definitely will be on the hunt for Heady Topper.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #813
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Went to a buddy's house over the weekend, who has similar craft beer tastes and a larger checkbook He goes to New England twice a year to bring back stuff from Alchemist, Tree House, Hill Farmstead. For instance, he brought back 100 cans of Heady Topper, which is mind boggling. Even moreso for the cash he shelled out for it.

So I had 2 Heady Toppers, which is amazing...although I think I prefer Union's Double Duckpin more. Both are quality Double IPAs. Which reminds me that I haven't had a 120 from Dogfish Head in a while.

Had a Tree House Julius. Reminded me of Cigar City Jai Alai. The color is outrageous, looks like an Orange Julius (hence the name I assume).

He traded some Heady for Pliny The Elder, so I got to try. Bottled 7/31, the hops had already gone bad. At least that's what it tasted like. I know IPAs should be had fresh, but it could have been how it was treated during transport and whatnot. So I checked it into Untappd but didn't rate. I'd love to try it fresh.

Split a Foundation Wanderlust. A hoppy farmhouse ale. It was a goregous yellow-orange color, and quite tasty. Would make for a great summer session beer.

Split a Lawson's Sip of Sunshine and Noda's Hop Drop n Roll with my buddy's wife (since they were in her beer drawer). Both very good.

I brought a growler of Flying Dog's The Fear, their Imperial Pumpkin Ale. It was my first pumpkin beer of the year and the first time I've had it. Quite tasty.

Last beer I got to try was Hill Farmstead's Grassroots Brewing Brother Soigne, which is a saison with lime and blood orange, which made for a great way to end the evening.
Wow dude...just wow!!

Yall keep listing good beers and Im gonna keep looking for them...like Union Double Duckpin, its on the list.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:33 AM   #814
over the mountain
Playmaker

BD - nicely done.

schlafy's tasmanian ipa should be on shelves for the next few months.

hope its on the shelf when i stop by DTC today.

might make a run to DC to see what they have. deschutes, founders, etc. havent done a DC run in a while
Old 09-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #815
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Yeah, that lineup dropped into my lap. I knew he had the Heady and Julius, but the rest was stuff he was more than willing to share. From which I was thankful.

I'm going with friends to do a Delmarva Brewery Crawl on Oct 10-11. Hitting up a bunch of places (Fordham/Dominion, Mispillion River, 16 Mile, Dogfish Head, Dewey Beer Co, OC Brewing, Assawoman Bay, Backshore, Burley Oak, Tall Tales, Evo, 3rd Wave and rar) and taking in what we can. My fave is Burley Oak as they do a lot of funky stuff. I have a growler of their Triple IPA in my fridge, waiting for 2 friends' schedules to align. My other fave is Mispillion River. They only distribute in DE for now, but their single IPA is quite good, as are the other beers I've had. They are expanding, and I hope that means more distribution in the future.

@Chico - Union is only distributing in MD as of right now I believe. They do a couple runs of Double Duckpin a year, and when it's out in the wild, it disappears quickly. Their regular Duckpin I've never had, but those who have had both say its good, but can't touch the double.

@otm - Adroit Theory is doing a tap takeover at DTC tonight. I may get by there tomorrow if I can sneak out in between family things and hope they still have stuff on tap.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #816
over the mountain
Playmaker

never heard of Adroit Theory but im gonna stop by and check it out.

whisper voice - i like the reg duck pin vs the double. the straight pale ale duck pin is tasty, crisp and the perfect nice weather day beer.

really need to find some two hearted and 51 rye, no where to be found in mont county.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #817
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

OTM - come up to Frederick. I can get Two Hearted at several of the beer jaunts I hit up. I usually get the tall boys. 51 Rye is a bit harder, but I have seen it. The place I normally go to is DJ Liquors on the Golden Mile. If he doesn't have it, he'll gladly order it if he can get it.

I will eventually try Duckpin, especially since it's more readily available. Union hasn't made a beer I didn't like yet.

Hopefully you got to try the adroit theory wares. They are funky for sure.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 09-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #818
over the mountain
Playmaker

i had a good beer weekend.

went to DTC, got 15 day old tasmanian ipa and 43 days old sculpin cans and a sixer of laguinitas sucks.

i was surprised to still see a sixer of sucks (since they stopped making 6ers) and more surprised that it was so fresh. i think i read that lil julian date wrong (223) bc it tasted like the malt had time to resonate a lil too long. sucks turns sappy or something when it sits too long. sappy isnt the right word.

adroit theory - they had the bottles out but it was like 11:30 and no rep was there to give me a pour. sucked bc their selection looked unique. beer types ive never seen before and i wanna try before dropping money on.

GABF Winners - Great American Beer Festival

list of winners from the great american beer fest. read that ppl would wait in line for 1 oz of pliny, drink it then turn around and get back in line. lol. i hope that line wasnt long. pliny is great and all but at 1 oz, russian river can go fuck themselves.

-----------------

port city brewing out of alexandria va won in a few categories. happy to see saucony creek win something w a beer ive never seen from them. another VA brewery won as well.

congrats Port City on a really good showing.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #819
MTK
\m/

Finally got my hands on some heady topper this weekend, only problem is I was 5-6 beers into the evening so my palate was shot. Still, it was worthy of the hype. Burlington Vt is craft beer heaven.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:50 PM   #820
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

OTM - IPAs tend to lose their hop punch when they aren't fresh. The malt takes over and the hop smell isn't good. I'm guessing that it what you're smelling. Adroit Theory is kinda like our area's Wicked Weed. They are super small and really push the limits on all their beers. But since they are so small and do very limited runs, they can get pricey.

Matty - I can see that being an issue but Heady is Heady. So so good.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #821
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

When I go up to upstate new york, which are some brands I should check out that should be availablel to me? Heady of course...which others?

Im an Ale guy... no porter, stouts, or pumpkin flavors...any suggestions would be great

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 09-29-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #822
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

@Chico - You're missing out if you don't dabble in porters or stouts. Pumpkin I can give or take. Here's a good reference point: 10 Upstate New York breweries you don't want to miss | NewYorkUpstate.com. Matty should be able to point you in the right direction...

Heady is only available in Vermont and only delivers during weekdays, so timing is of the essence.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #823
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
@Chico - You're missing out if you don't dabble in porters or stouts. Pumpkin I can give or take. Here's a good reference point: 10 Upstate New York breweries you don't want to miss | NewYorkUpstate.com. Matty should be able to point you in the right direction...

Heady is only available in Vermont and only delivers during weekdays, so timing is of the essence.
yeah...i just dont do the heaviness of those anymore...Ive already looked at a store near by who carries appearently carries alot of good stuff. Omegang Brewery is on the list...Matty mentioned them

He Gets Us
Old 09-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #824
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
OTM - IPAs tend to lose their hop punch when they aren't fresh. The malt takes over and the hop smell isn't good.
thats def what happened but w a born on date of 223, thats damn fresh beer for something from California. 40 days or so is about as fresh as laguinitas sucks gets around here.

very strange.

matty - lol weve all been there before.

----------------------

dogfish is not selling out totally but partially ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/anothe...151451684.html

wish some of the hard to get beer makers would sell out a lil so their distribution could reach us.

Last edited by over the mountain; 09-29-2015 at 01:11 PM.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #825
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
thats def what happened but w a born on date of 223, thats damn fresh beer for something from California. 40 days or so is about as fresh as laguinitas sucks gets around here.

very strange.

matty - lol weve all been there before.

----------------------

dogfish is not selling out totally but partially ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/anothe...151451684.html

wish some of the hard to get beer makers would sell out a lil so their distribution could reach us.
I believe Lagunitas should be coming from Chicago, so could be a shipping issue. Could be a storage issue. But 40 days as you said should be ok. I'm starting to become more and more of a fan of canned craft beers. Stays fresher longer for sure.

I read the Dogfish thing yesterday. They get capital for a small part of the company, which I assume that Dogfish can buy them back out at anytime. Sounds like a marketing thing more than anything else.

We're getting to a point where bigger dogs will start buying up smaller dogs and thin out the herd so to speak. Hopefully (not counting on it), the quality does not go down hill...