Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 08-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #796
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Let's talk good beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbirks View Post
Check out Downtown Crown Beer and Wine on Sam Eig Highway just east of Rio. They have 21 taps and a very good craft selection. (my son runs it so I welcome feedback - thanks)
I will name drop Fbirks to see if i can get a discount!

Thanks for the heads up, i look forward to it.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-19-2015, 10:34 PM   #797
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Check out Downtown Crown Beer and Wine on Sam Eig Highway just east of Rio. They have 21 taps and a very good craft selection. (my son runs it so I welcome feedback - thanks)
Downtown Crown is a great store. Just wish it was a bit closer to me. Some great finds there. Your son has a nice set up going. Good luck to him.

OTM - I found the prices at DTC to be reasonable, so you should probably make that your regular store. Grab some beers there, then see my buddy Alberto at Il Porto in the Festival Shopping Center on Muddy Branch Road. Great Italian food, had my rehearsal dinner there. Then fresh Dogfish Head beer at their alehouse on West Diamond Avenue. I'm too far removed from that area to recommend a quality beer store, but will ask around.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #798
RobH4413
Wildcard Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Downtown Crown is a great store. Just wish it was a bit closer to me. Some great finds there. Your son has a nice set up going. Good luck to him.

OTM - I found the prices at DTC to be reasonable, so you should probably make that your regular store. Grab some beers there, then see my buddy Alberto at Il Porto in the Festival Shopping Center on Muddy Branch Road. Great Italian food, had my rehearsal dinner there. Then fresh Dogfish Head beer at their alehouse on West Diamond Avenue. I'm too far removed from that area to recommend a quality beer store, but will ask around.
BDB how's the DTF beer scene lately? I haven't been out there much since I moved away (college, life, etc...) but every time I come back I find a nice new interesting spot.

Anything other than Brewers alley thats worth paying a visit?
Old 08-20-2015, 11:09 AM   #799
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH4413 View Post
BDB how's the DTF beer scene lately? I haven't been out there much since I moved away (college, life, etc...) but every time I come back I find a nice new interesting spot.

Anything other than Brewers alley thats worth paying a visit?
The folks that own Brewers opened up Monocacy Brewing up the road at The Flying Barrel, so look for their wares in your local liquor store. Their coffee stout is very good. Brewers had moved their tanks out of the restaruant downtown, but I believe they are expanding the restaurant behind them (between them and the parking garage) to bring some of that back in house.

Jojo's and Firestone's both have a nice selection of craft taps. Jojo's has been hosting various breweries, including one of my up & coming faves Manor Hill. Bushwallers is starting to carry more craft, but are still Irish/English centric. Cafe Nola usually has a nice selection of taps and bottles.

Just south of downtown is my fave watering hole Roasthouse Pub. 20 taps (2 nitro) constantly rotating. Barley and Hops is also south of downtown and has a nice selection of their own wares along with some guest taps. BWW and Madrones has a decent selection of craft taps on the north side of town.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
Old 08-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #800
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Last night I drank 3 consecutive bells 2 hearted ales. Then I had 1 lagunatis ipa and I told my buddy that lagunatis tasted like a bud light with no taste. Basically two hearted dominated the pallet that a lagunatis just seemed like a light beer.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #801
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
thanks birks - went there saturday, good selection. seemed like they had a real good selection for growlers too - clown shoes space cake anyone? you just got your son an extra 30-50 dollar a week customer.

they also had 23 day old sculpin cans which was awesome bc ive been waiting for a new batch to come out here. ive stopped buying sculpin bc every can/bottle the last few months were from april.

prices were also really good for montgomery county where stores have to pay a 25% mark up for beers not in the govt distributor network which im sure is very limited. you can order stuff but if the county needs to get it from a rpiv distributor, it costs the markup.

sculpin at 16.99 vs 14.99 is reasonable given the 25% markup. the "craft beer store" a half mile form my house and also within montgomery county sells it at 24.99.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #802
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
thanks birks - went there saturday, good selection. seemed like they had a real good selection for growlers too - clown shoes space cake anyone? you just got your son an extra 30-50 dollar a week customer.

they also had 23 day old sculpin cans which was awesome bc ive been waiting for a new batch to come out here. ive stopped buying sculpin bc every can/bottle the last few months were from april.

prices were also really good for montgomery county where stores have to pay a 25% mark up for beers not in the govt distributor network which im sure is very limited. you can order stuff but if the county needs to get it from a rpiv distributor, it costs the markup.

sculpin at 16.99 vs 14.99 is reasonable given the 25% markup. the "craft beer store" a half mile form my house and also within montgomery county sells it at 24.99.
Space Cake is the shit!
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:54 PM   #803
RedskinMike
Special Teams

I am starting to dig sours. I feel this can't be good. I already spend redonkulas amounts on beer that the normal person would be astonished by. Sours just open a door of crazy expense that I have been able to avoid to this point. God help my wallet.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #804
over the mountain
Playmaker

i spend $35 to $60 a week. considering how much more other people spend my money, I see it as a race to see who can spend my money quicker - me vs. wife* and kid.

- said by the guy who will never save a penny outside of his 401k

* she moved back in. we have a kid, really hard on the mind and conscience to split. i will never forget that month or so though. good times.

mike - ive been eyeing up sours for a bit now. can you recommend a good one avail in MD?

BD - just saw your post re DTC. spot on man. selection is not as great as perfect pour or bo brooks but for Mo Co it is such a huge find for me. i also have fenwick a block from my work. now that i know you cant get sculpin for less than 16.99 in Mo Co, my grudge for them has disappeared.

at DTC you have to search for freshness, found a 14 day old laguintas ipa and 30 day old sculpin on saturday.

untapped users - anyone get an email/notice about "noble brewing"? I guess you can buy home brewers beer? i wouldnt mind trying a pliny clone and seeing what home brewers are doing.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #805
over the mountain
Playmaker

picking up 32 oz of alpine hoppy birthday for the season opener tomorrow from DTC ... if the keg hasnt kicked yet
Old 09-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #806
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
picking up 32 oz of alpine hoppy birthday for the season opener tomorrow from DTC ... if the keg hasnt kicked yet
Its good stuff. With the sours I've been trying them when I'm at a place with flights. In the past I've been burned with sours and poured them down the drain. I guess its an acquired taste and I'm starting to get it. I picked up a 4 pack of Boulevard Tell Tale Tart over the weekend and enjoyed it.

I am drinking a Bell's Oracle as I type.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #807
RedskinMike
Special Teams

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...EN1iboXfUt2gdgIts delicious.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #808
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
Damn that looks good.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:48 AM   #809
kct1975
The Starter

I just tried Devils Backbone IPA for the first time yesterday at a company picnic, and it was great.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #810
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Went to a buddy's house over the weekend, who has similar craft beer tastes and a larger checkbook He goes to New England twice a year to bring back stuff from Alchemist, Tree House, Hill Farmstead. For instance, he brought back 100 cans of Heady Topper, which is mind boggling. Even moreso for the cash he shelled out for it.

So I had 2 Heady Toppers, which is amazing...although I think I prefer Union's Double Duckpin more. Both are quality Double IPAs. Which reminds me that I haven't had a 120 from Dogfish Head in a while.

Had a Tree House Julius. Reminded me of Cigar City Jai Alai. The color is outrageous, looks like an Orange Julius (hence the name I assume).

He traded some Heady for Pliny The Elder, so I got to try. Bottled 7/31, the hops had already gone bad. At least that's what it tasted like. I know IPAs should be had fresh, but it could have been how it was treated during transport and whatnot. So I checked it into Untappd but didn't rate. I'd love to try it fresh.

Split a Foundation Wanderlust. A hoppy farmhouse ale. It was a goregous yellow-orange color, and quite tasty. Would make for a great summer session beer.

Split a Lawson's Sip of Sunshine and Noda's Hop Drop n Roll with my buddy's wife (since they were in her beer drawer). Both very good.

I brought a growler of Flying Dog's The Fear, their Imperial Pumpkin Ale. It was my first pumpkin beer of the year and the first time I've had it. Quite tasty.

Last beer I got to try was Hill Farmstead's Grassroots Brewing Brother Soigne, which is a saison with lime and blood orange, which made for a great way to end the evening.