Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Re: Let's talk good beer

Sooo in the drunk thread I described my Delmarva Brewery Crawl. Spent 2 days with a few friends hitting up as many breweries and brewpubs we could. I checked in 44 beers (mostly samples) on Untappd, but tasted closer to 55, maybe pushing 60.

Here are some highlights:

Mispillion River Wonka Bar: chocolate stout that won a bronze medal at the GABF this year. Very smooth, very nice. Almost like drinking a glass of chocolate milk.

Mispillion River Not Today Satan: Love the name. Nice IPA. Would like to see them add this to their year round rotation.

Lagunitas Fusion 31: Mango IPA. It was like biting a fresh mango. Very nice beer. Would highly recommend it.

Burley Oak Peach Better Have My Money: A peach twist on their dry hopped sour. Very nice. They do some killer sours.

Burley Oak Fair Trade (Nitro): Chocolate Rye Stout. Very smooth, made that much better being on nitro

Evolution Alpha Six: Great belgian style beer. Very smooth. Really enjoyed it.

Evolution Prelude Red: Nice mellow red. Not hoppy.

3rd Wave Blueberry Sour: Aged in bourbon barrels. Very unique flavor. Would drink it again.

rar Chopdank: New guys on the block. This is their take on Heady Topper...and they just about nail it. So good.

rar do their own take on Sculpin called Nanticoke Nectar which was very good. The grapefruit one was bright and flavorful, although i haven't had Ballast Point's.

Overall I had a blast and can't wait to do it again in another area. The only place i didn't care for was OC Brewing Company. They do too many mediocre beers and don't focus enough on making them better. They'll be a tourist trap for better or worse.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
over the mountain
Playmaker

big daddy, how do you live the good life with 3 kids? i got 1 and i cant even get away to driving range for an hour.

dang, looks like RAR is doing some good work out there.

Port City is doing a gold medal tour following their wins at the great Amer beer fest and will have their winners on tap. do i have to buy 3 more growlers now?

noticed stone is finally bringing out their "enjoy by" but it is until 10.31.15. its not at DTC yet but they have it listed as coming soon. I was expecting an "enjoy by 11.24.15".

has this 10.31 been out but just not in Mo Co? i like DTC but hate Mo Co distribution.

where the fuck is the bells? where the hell is 51 rye?
Old 10-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
big daddy, how do you live the good life with 3 kids? i got 1 and i cant even get away to driving range for an hour.

Port City is doing a gold medal tour following their wins at the great Amer beer fest and will have their winners on tap. do i have to buy 3 more growlers now?

noticed stone is finally bringing out their "enjoy by" but it is until 10.31.15. its not at DTC yet but they have it listed as coming soon. I was expecting an "enjoy by 11.24.15".

has this 10.31 been out but just not in Mo Co? i like DTC but hate Mo Co distribution.

The enjoy by showed up here about a week and a half ago. That is still late even for MD. The distributors here are the worst and will sit on beers at there warehouses even though the fresher the better.

My lineup tonight is:
Sierra Nevada Harvest
Cigar City Jai Ali
Founders Dark Penance
Founders Breakfast Stout
Genesee Cream Ale sprinkled in between.

I was hoping to get Founders Harvest today but the store I was at wasn't getting it in until later.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
The enjoy by showed up here about a week and a half ago. That is still late even for MD. The distributors here are the worst and will sit on beers at there warehouses even though the fresher the better.

My lineup tonight is:
Sierra Nevada Harvest
Cigar City Jai Ali
Founders Dark Penance
Founders Breakfast Stout
Genesee Cream Ale sprinkled in between.

I was hoping to get Founders Harvest today but the store I was at wasn't getting it in until later.
I didnt even know stone did any enjoy by 9.24.15. didnt see in MoCo.

Where did you find the 2 bolded above? ive seen it show up on untappd lately but havent seen either personally.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
I didnt even know stone did any enjoy by 9.24.15. didnt see in MoCo.

Where did you find the 2 bolded above? ive seen it show up on untappd lately but havent seen either personally.
I got both in VA. Founders is available in DC also. Cigar city is only VA and its been almost a year since they sent anything up this way. It was a surprise to see it at the store.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:

That was essentially my first solo weekend in months. After being married for 10 years and having 3 kids, my wife and I realized that we need to take time for ourselves and each other when it allows. Get so wrapped up in family and kids that you lose touch. It was set up far in advance to avoid any issues. The rest of the time, I'm working 2 web/mobile developer jobs while doing development side work for another person.

rar is awesome. it'll be nice to see how they grow. I have a 4 pack of chopdank waiting for me to have.

I actually got a bottle of enjoy by 10/31 on my brewery trip, gonna crack it open this weekend. I've seen it at the various places in Frederick. That and Thunderstruck IPA.

Bells is readily available up this way as well. At least it was. I haven't looked for it in a bit. I could use a 4 pack of Two Hearted Tallboys.

Monument City doesn't distribute very far...

I feel like Jai Alai can be found in VA when it's distributed. Not sure how far of a reach Brown Distributing has...Founders is in DC for sure. My buddy has a train friend that goes to Schneider's of Capitol Hill and they have Founders there. He's got a breakfast stout waiting for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I'm gonna tell u what gets me pissed is at whole foods in Connecticut I'm looking at all the great beers I can't can't get in va. I reach for Cambridge brewing company bombers...bottling date is from May. Are u fucking serious? Whole foods gonna peddle beers bottle in May while charging me an arm and leg? So disappointing...clown shoes brewery same deal...really wanted to try
Yeah, I learned this the hard way...not checking bottles for sell by or bottling dates. Had to pour out a bomber of something because the hops had gone bad and it tasted like piss.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
over the mountain
Playmaker

"a tiny something beautiful" from Maine was awesome. ive never seen it before but a got a real fresh bottle the other night. highly recommend. only thing is it is a light drinker to me, i could drink 10 of these in a night but at $10 a bottle .... i'd need to move up a tax bracket first.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

Maine puts out some quality brews.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Berkshire lost sailor, just a delightful iPa...brought back some ommegang rare vos and hop house for a bon fire tomorrow night.

Also had to pick up the stone's bomber enjoy by. Always a dank ass treat
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Berkshire lost sailor, just a delightful iPa...brought back some ommegang rare vos and hop house for a bon fire tomorrow night.

Did you get a chance to try their Steel Rail Pale Ale ,very nice .Haven't had their Lost Sailor it will be on my list for the week,thanks.

Some of the beers based up their (BBC are some) are not pasteurized so they don't have very much of a shelve life some as little as 30/60 days.I buy a case or two to bring back but it's always gone by December.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #11
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:

Yes it is!Just got back and tried it and all I can say is Thank You.Brought a case of that and the BBC Steel Rail Pale Ale back from Mass the Mrs and I enjoyed some while cooking a couple of steaks on the grill after watching the Maryland Penn State game ,a very good afternoon!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:38 PM   #12
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

The stone enjoy by I'm sipping on now is freakin top notch. Tasty....nice and cold too.

I'm gonna tell u what gets me pissed is at whole foods in Connecticut I'm looking at all the great beers I can't can't get in va. I reach for Cambridge brewing company bombers...bottling date is from May. Are u fucking serious? Whole foods gonna peddle beers bottle in May while charging me an arm and leg? So disappointing...clown shoes brewery same deal...really wanted to try
Old 10-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #13
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
The stone enjoy by I'm sipping on now is freakin top notch. Tasty....nice and cold too.

you gotta get up to DC or go south to N Carolina i ssuppose. I thought Richmond would have a good distribution going on down there w some really good local breweries. i guess not. sucks.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
you gotta get up to DC or go south to N Carolina i ssuppose. I thought Richmond would have a good distribution going on down there w some really good local breweries. i guess not. sucks.
Those beer bottling issues was from a Whole Foods up in Connecticut. We have pretty decent selections down here when it come to distribution. Our breweries and Va beer in general...gotta say its just ok. Lotta newbies.

In regards to the Stone's Enjoy by (which i did get in Connecticut) was bottled on 9/24 with the Enjoy by 10/31.

the one I drank on friday was top notch, very crisp hops. I thought it drank really light...which could be dangerous if i got the 6 pack.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #15
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Those beer bottling issues was from a Whole Foods up in Connecticut. We have pretty decent selections down here when it come to distribution. Our breweries and Va beer in general...gotta say its just ok. Lotta newbies.

In regards to the Stone's Enjoy by (which i did get in Connecticut) was bottled on 9/24 with the Enjoy by 10/31.

the one I drank on friday was top notch, very crisp hops. I thought it drank really light...which could be dangerous if i got the 6 pack.
the one i drank sunday was bottled on 9/24 as well. sooooo good. at 9%, it is dangerous.