Non QB pick 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2024, 11:51 AM   #781
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Re: 2024 Early Bird Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Dude threw 40TDs and has poor QB skills?
You are oversimplifying the comparison because they both run.
You said it yourself, he matures over the year and becomes a better QB later in the year.
He has all the tools and is the only QB out of the top 3 that actually played his best last year.
Figures don’t lie, but liars can figure. How many of those TDs were against Army, or Louisiana Monroe?

Oversimplifying, ok. I can except that. But so are you with your “40 TD” stat.

Advertisements
Old 01-28-2024, 12:00 PM   #782
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCommandersfan99 View Post
You make an interesting argument for not drafting Daniels. Who do you like at qb then at the 2 selection or a trade down? Daniels is bigtime for production in the SEC, but I do worry about the injury factor and if he can consistently hit NFL passes in tight windows with his arm strength. Not gonna lie. Maye's physical attributes appeal to me. Kid is supposed to have a cannon, is big, and can run. This draft and offseason is going to be fun. Could be seismic for this franchise.
I would not take a QB at 2.
I would want to bend someone over the barrel and walk away with bookend tackles and a host of other picks/needs.

Draft a QB in 2nd or 3rd and maybe scrape Fields up for a song. He’s every bit as explosive as Daniels athletically, and probably as good a passer as well.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:11 PM   #783
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Jim View Post
The RG 3 comparison is very fair.
Both slightly built Uber athletic QBs that win the Heisman trophy.

I’m a die hard LSU fan and have watched every game. I invite you all to watch both FSU vs LSU games he played. They are the best referral of Daniels game.
You can see how raw, and poor QB skills he has, and how much of a run first athlete he is in the first FSU game. You can see how much he matures over the first year, and becomes a better QB in the second game.

He lost both games. Not only that, he was our played at the position by FSU.

He is a 1 read and tuck it QB, just like RG3. Cannot diagnose presnap read and go through the route tree progressions. He has his hot read and tucks it 9/10 plays.

I understand the excitement, but must present the caveat emptor.

HTTR
Well, if I my eyes are not deceiving me, I saw him make a beautiful slide after a long run. Something RG3 never, ever learned. So no, not at all like RG3.
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 12:14 PM   #784
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRedskinsFan View Post
Well, if I my eyes are not deceiving me, I saw him make a beautiful slide after a long run. Something RG3 never, ever learned. So no, not at all like RG3.
You got me 🤷🏻*♂️👌🏻😂
Old 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM   #785
rocnrik
Playmaker

It all depends on what we can get to trade down .. if we are talking Extra 1st , this years 2cnd & 3rd then we gotta do that ..All the QB except Williams are reaches at the number 2 pick .. One of them will bust and the other will be average at best . When we can take 10 year pro bowl tackle and with extra pick solidify the O line for years ..( get 3 very low risk top starters for one player that is a 50/50 chance of not working out . I would take that and draft a Bo Nix in the 2cnd/3rd round .. we have options ( maybe bears don't draft Williams and he is there ) I realize all picks are Risk however it seems QB is the hardest to get right ..
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 01:03 PM   #786
That Guy
Living Legend

RG3 also came into the league with two defective knees.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 02:54 PM   #787
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I have no questions about his work ethic, character, or elite athletic ability.
I’m telling you, as someone who has watched every game he played at LSU, You are getting RG3.
As long as you go into it with eyes wide open, not butterflies in your stomach and head in the clouds, then you have made an informed decision. But, like RG3 I don’t believe he will become an elite passer. He is a RPO quarterback who’s first instinct it his legs.
But he is coachable and he learns fast. RGIII and his father actually met with the Skins HC and told the man which plays RGIII would not run.

I also noticed that JD was learning to get what he could out of a scramble and then slide or run out of bounds. RGIII couldn't even learn how to slide properly.

JD throws a gorgeous deep ball and he looks to be an accurate passer on other routes. With his work ethic and talent, I think he can become a top passer.

He may remind you of RGIII now but in time he may surpass what RGIII could have become.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:18 PM   #788
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
It all depends on what we can get to trade down .. if we are talking Extra 1st , this years 2cnd & 3rd then we gotta do that ..All the QB except Williams are reaches at the number 2 pick .. One of them will bust and the other will be average at best . When we can take 10 year pro bowl tackle and with extra pick solidify the O line for years ..( get 3 very low risk top starters for one player that is a 50/50 chance of not working out . I would take that and draft a Bo Nix in the 2cnd/3rd round .. we have options ( maybe bears don't draft Williams and he is there ) I realize all picks are Risk however it seems QB is the hardest to get right ..
Agree almost 100%

Williams is not worthy of 2 overall either.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:07 PM   #789
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

It will be fascinating to see what we do at 2. The options will be high. I do think there is a good chance that we WILL be offered a king's ransom for that selection. Issue with that is who is our qb going forward? Talent drops significantly after Williams, Daniels, Maye. Don't wanna trade for Fields at all. Roll with Howell which I doubt this new regime does? Safest bet is to take Maye. He has all the physical skills. Basically a Justin Herbert who can run. Kid was a 5 star coming out of hs. Uber talented. Less risk with him than Daniels. Bigger and stronger arm.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:15 PM   #790
Redskin Jim
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
But he is coachable and he learns fast. RGIII and his father actually met with the Skins HC and told the man which plays RGIII would not run.

I also noticed that JD was learning to get what he could out of a scramble and then slide or run out of bounds. RGIII couldn't even learn how to slide properly.

JD throws a gorgeous deep ball and he looks to be an accurate passer on other routes. With his work ethic and talent, I think he can become a top passer.

He may remind you of RGIII now but in time he may surpass what RGIII could have become.
Every thing you say here is fair, and I applaud your optimism.

For me, it boils down to this. Jayden Daniels is not a ready made NFL QB. By your own optimistic opinion, you think he may someday mature to be.

Now ask yourself this, is a project QB worth the #2 pick. Before you answer this, know that the #2 pick MUST BE a slam dunk. (Think how whiffing on Chase Young instead of picking Herbert or Tua sunk our ship as opposed to steep rising of fortunes)

Now, assuming that you see the logical fallacy of project QB at #2 is a huge gamble, but the VALUE of trading some other poor bastards that are enamored with said pick. That pick is Uber valuable, and can be parlayed into multiple high value picks that can immediately rebuild our team in a new and favorable position.

Just my 2 cents. HTTR
Old 01-29-2024, 04:35 AM   #791
That Guy
Living Legend

so what? never draft a QB?

there's never really a super fire pick. Aaron Rogers fell to 26, purdy was last, ryan leaf flamed out, peyton started 1-15.

If you don't have a QB and do nothing to get a QB, you're guaranteeing another tanked season. And I doubt your odds of hitting go up by waiting until the 2nd or 3rd round.

Rebuilding without a plan at QB isn't great, and there's no guarantees we'll be in a better position to get "the guy" next year.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:45 AM   #792
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Every thing you say here is fair, and I applaud your optimism.

For me, it boils down to this. Jayden Daniels is not a ready made NFL QB. By your own optimistic opinion, you think he may someday mature to be.

Now ask yourself this, is a project QB worth the #2 pick. Before you answer this, know that the #2 pick MUST BE a slam dunk. (Think how whiffing on Chase Young instead of picking Herbert or Tua sunk our ship as opposed to steep rising of fortunes)

Now, assuming that you see the logical fallacy of project QB at #2 is a huge gamble, but the VALUE of trading some other poor bastards that are enamored with said pick. That pick is Uber valuable, and can be parlayed into multiple high value picks that can immediately rebuild our team in a new and favorable position.

Just my 2 cents. HTTR
you are using too much hindsight in that statement, find a pre draft report of CY that didn't say he wasn't the best thing ever, everyone was all over his jock

We didn't pick Tau or Justin because ownership was in love with Haskins

Justin might have done well here, maybe. Tau has risen because of his current head coach, i am pretty sure Tau been a bust under RR
Old 01-29-2024, 08:47 AM   #793
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
so what? never draft a QB?

there's never really a super fire pick. Aaron Rogers fell to 26, purdy was last, ryan leaf flamed out, peyton started 1-15.

If you don't have a QB and do nothing to get a QB, you're guaranteeing another tanked season. And I doubt your odds of hitting go up by waiting until the 2nd or 3rd round.

Rebuilding without a plan at QB isn't great, and there's no guarantees we'll be in a better position to get "the guy" next year.
I don't think anyone's saying that, but if the consensus at Commies Park is that none of the top 3 qb's are worth a top 2 pick then look at backup plans like trading down, etc. I'm sure there's a qb they are bound to like in the draft. I'm starting to lean in this direction too - all of them have flaws, but some are fixable and some aren't. Whatever Peters and co. decide I trust them.
Old 01-29-2024, 12:36 PM   #794
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
you are using too much hindsight in that statement, find a pre draft report of CY that didn't say he wasn't the best thing ever, everyone was all over his jock

We didn't pick Tau or Justin because ownership was in love with Haskins

Justin might have done well here, maybe. Tau has risen because of his current head coach, i am pretty sure Tau been a bust under RR
That's a key, do you have a QB whisperer on staff (or incoming...) that can get the best out of one of these guys. Mahomes and Reid, Brady and Bilichick, Walsh and Montana/Young, Gibbs and N.E. One. It doesn't matter how talented they are, if they are poorly coached they'll fail.

Johnson got a damned good season out of Goff, despite everyone having written him off once LA traded him. If he comes here, hopefully he can do the same, whoever we pick up.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:17 PM   #795
simbosargos75
Special Teams

I'll be shocked if they don't take a qb at 2.

--On Wisconsin
simbosargos75 is offline   Reply With Quote