Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Let's talk good beer

Parking Lot

Old 07-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #781
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Let's talk good beer

yeah, 2 hearted is pretty awesome. i love how fresh it is. got a sixer last night that was bottled on 6-26-15.

its is right there w lagunitas sucks, lunch and sculpin (when fresh) as my fav beers you can routinely get in MD. they are all solid 4.5/5 for me.

the beer store in dupont circle (number below) has 3 bottles of pliny .. for 29.99. LOL he sd its fresh, just got it but im not paying 30 bucks a bottle. i told him id take the 3 for 60 bucks but he sd no. if you never tried it, i would drop 30 for a bottle just for the experience and comparison sake. i love drinking good beer but i love tracking down and comparing beers. i think knowing what pliny tastes like, gives you a good ceiling to compare other top notch beers to.

also makes for a good gift to someone who loves good beer.

(202) 293-9463 - dupont beer store
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #782
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I need to try lunch, high on the list. Drinking a 2 heart with a stamp of 6/20, crisp to say the least. Uncanny balance IMO

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:32 AM   #783
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
yeah, 2 hearted is pretty awesome. i love how fresh it is. got a sixer last night that was bottled on 6-26-15.

its is right there w lagunitas sucks, lunch and sculpin (when fresh) as my fav beers you can routinely get in MD. they are all solid 4.5/5 for me.

the beer store in dupont circle (number below) has 3 bottles of pliny .. for 29.99. LOL he sd its fresh, just got it but im not paying 30 bucks a bottle. i told him id take the 3 for 60 bucks but he sd no. if you never tried it, i would drop 30 for a bottle just for the experience and comparison sake. i love drinking good beer but i love tracking down and comparing beers. i think knowing what pliny tastes like, gives you a good ceiling to compare other top notch beers to.

also makes for a good gift to someone who loves good beer.

(202) 293-9463 - dupont beer store
He is a ripoff. Gets it the same way you did. Thats why its so high in price. Sipping on A Little Sumpin' Extra. Love this stuff as much as Sucks.
RedskinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #784
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I want to recognize a horrible beer: Weeping Radish IPA 25

I bought a 4 pack of this and it litterally made me sick. terrible

I want to recognize a good beer: Sweetwater Take Two Pils | SweetWater Brewing Company | BeerAdvocate

Sweetwater Pils...was surprised by the solidness of this drinking experience. Easy drink, good taste...good beer for outside summer drinking.

He Gets Us
Old 07-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #785
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
He is a ripoff. Gets it the same way you did. Thats why its so high in price. Sipping on A Little Sumpin' Extra. Love this stuff as much as Sucks.
sucks blackwells got black balled.

i think prohibition up in philly currently has pliny on tap. i go up there for cheesesteaks alone so i might venture up there soon.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #786
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:

i think prohibition up in philly currently has pliny on tap. i go up there for cheesesteaks alone so i might venture up there soon.
If you research and time it right you can get Pliny the Younger in Philly. Its something you need to pay attention to figure out the release parties and where they allow more than one glass per person.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #787
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

So do I! Me and neighbor we wait for kids to go to bed kiss the wives and head to Philly for a few hours. We love Pats, usually eat 2 but have done 3 a few times in one sitting.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #788
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Got a growler of Flying Dog's Double Dead Rise weekend before last. 2x the amount of Old Bay than Dead Rise, and they used the new Old Bay Hot. It was delicious. Drink it and then steam some crabs or shrimp in it.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #789
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
So do I! Me and neighbor we wait for kids to go to bed kiss the wives and head to Philly for a few hours. We love Pats, usually eat 2 but have done 3 a few times in one sitting.
lol subtle trolling is the best

im under 200 lbs now .. but no one on the internet seems to notice.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:50 PM   #790
81forHOF
Impact Rookie

I brew a lot of my own beer. Been having decent success lately. Two beers that recently impressed me while out were Stoudt's Scarlet Lady and Elliot Ness by Great Lakes.

Not a big fan of overly hoppy beers. Most micros feel they have to go nuts with the hops for some reason. These 2 are full flavored brews that don't over do it.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #791
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Green flash west coast iPa....not the best double ipa, but still brings the goodness. Lotta grapefruitness in this batch...more than I remember last time time i got it. Gives it a very unique taste for a double which I can respect with so many options out there these days

He Gets Us
Old 08-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #792
over the mountain
Playmaker

I moved to gaithersburg in Montgomery County and there is a craft beer store down the street. The owner is cool so i wont name his store but the prices are eye gouging and the beer is super stale.

sculpin is 24.99 per 6 pack. great divide stuff is 18.99 range.

i decide to buy a sixer lagunitas sucks (bc their beer seems to be always fresh) and at 16.99 its not totally over-priced compared to the normal rate of 11 or 12.99.

i get home and lag sucks taste like shit. i google if they do born on dates and they do, its in black ink along the neck bottle and they use the julian dating - i.e. 071 = 71st day of 2015.

the lag sucks i got was from like March 11th.
-----------------------------

good news, i stopped by perfect pour and picked up a bottle of great divide's yeti - oatmeal imperial stout with a born on date of July 26, 2015. plus a stock load of other fresh good beer.

question - does the freshness date matter as much for non-hoppy beer like an oatmeal stout?

81 - ive been meaning to try great lakes stuff, they sell it in DC so i might swing through the district to get that and some deschutes and founders (if its fresh).
Old 08-13-2015, 10:13 PM   #793
RedskinMike
Special Teams

Quote:
I moved to gaithersburg in Montgomery County and there is a craft beer store down the street. The owner is cool so i wont name his store but the prices are eye gouging and the beer is super stale.

sculpin is 24.99 per 6 pack. great divide stuff is 18.99 range.

i decide to buy a sixer lagunitas sucks (bc their beer seems to be always fresh) and at 16.99 its not totally over-priced compared to the normal rate of 11 or 12.99.

i get home and lag sucks taste like shit. i google if they do born on dates and they do, its in black ink along the neck bottle and they use the julian dating - i.e. 071 = 71st day of 2015.

the lag sucks i got was from like March 11th.
-----------------------------

good news, i stopped by perfect pour and picked up a bottle of great divide's yeti - oatmeal imperial stout with a born on date of July 26, 2015. plus a stock load of other fresh good beer.

question - does the freshness date matter as much for non-hoppy beer like an oatmeal stout?

81 - ive been meaning to try great lakes stuff, they sell it in DC so i might swing through the district to get that and some deschutes and founders (if its fresh).
Hoppy beers are where freshness is of the utmost importance. An ipa should be consumed within 90 days of bottling. As for other beers it depends on how ABV and SRM(beer color ). Higher ABV and darker beers have longer shelf lifes. Yeti will actually get better after a year in the bottle.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #794
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinMike View Post
Hoppy beers are where freshness is of the utmost importance. An ipa should be consumed within 90 days of bottling. As for other beers it depends on how ABV and SRM(beer color ). Higher ABV and darker beers have longer shelf lifes. Yeti will actually get better after a year in the bottle.
lol i thought i found a gem with such a close brew date. i googled around and it seems Yeti is not bottle conditioned. ill just let it get lost in the back of the fridge and find it one snowy day.

mike - what beer stores do you go to? i know your in odenton. i need to find a good beer store close to Montgomery county but not actually in the county and driving to perfect pour or balt city is kinda far now.

ive been meaning to head down to the whole foods in NW dc which is supposed to have a good selection.

-----------------------

Good weekend to stop by max's taphouse in fells. these are so freaking packed. lines out the door, when i have gone or intended to go but see the line and just go to blarneys instead.

Max's Taphouse HopFest - this weekend | Community | BeerAdvocate

anybody on here going? if so, let me know and we can drink one together.

Last edited by over the mountain; 08-14-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #795
fbirks
Camp Scrub

Check out Downtown Crown Beer and Wine on Sam Eig Highway just east of Rio. They have 21 taps and a very good craft selection. (my son runs it so I welcome feedback - thanks)

fbirks is offline   Reply With Quote