Our next coach??

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #766
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Our next coach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Lets say that we get Shanahan, according to Peter King (sometimes right/sometimes not right) he says that
• ANOTHER GREAT QUESTION. From Ben of Bowie, Md.: "Peter, I'm a Skins fan with no delusions -- Jim Zorn is getting the axe at the end of the season. But with the Skins playing competitive football, what do you think are the chances of other elements of the team staying intact? Greg Blache's defense and Jason Campbell come to mind.''

Well, I'll tell you this -- if Mike Shanahan gets the job, he's bringing Bob Slowik in as defensive coordinator, and I'm pretty sure he'll use a draft choice to pick and then develop his long-term quarterback. But I could see another coach, an offensive-minded coach, keeping Blache, who is an excellent coach with the strong backing of his men.

Campbell? Very good question. He's shown excellent progress in the last month. But my feeling is the 'Skins will move on from him. They have an itchy quarterback trigger finger. They wanted Jay Cutler. They wanted Mark Sanchez. With a good crop of your passers available come April, I think they'll want one of the young kids.

I was wondering who the hell this Bob Slowik guy is, and if he can keep our defense at the top in the NFL like we are with Blache, or is he a very conservative DC?
It'd be ironic if Slowik replaced Blache, since Blache replaced him in Chicago. But he is the favorite to join Shanahan wherever he goes. I don't know enough about his philosophy quite honestly

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #767
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It'd be ironic if Slowik replaced Blache, since Blache replaced him in Chicago. But he is the favorite to join Shanahan wherever he goes. I don't know enough about his philosophy quite honestly

I wouldn't mind if another (qualfied of course) DC came in. I really like Blache and I think he is great but I also think that this defense could be more disruptive with the talent that they have.

They are getting burned on long pass plays anyway, might as well throw an exotic blitz in that would give us defensive TD once in a blue moon.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #768
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

I wonder what GG could have done with the DL talent we have now.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #769
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

From Mort's chat today on our coaching situation:
How much longer will Dan Snyders Bromance with Cerato continue? Most agree it is time for him to leave DC.
Chris Mortensen (11:15 AM)

Well, there's going to be a new coach and odds are it's Mike Shanahan. The coach will be in charge. Joe Gibbs had no problems with Cerrato. Gibbs had final authority. Shanahan - or whoever - will have final authority. And the Redskins do have talent.

Mort has pretty consistently put Shanny here. Until I hear it more definitively from Schefter I won't start to buy into it being a certainty. Shanny and Schefty are tight so if there's a scoop to be had, he will get it. I'd expect things to wrap up pretty quickly after the final game though.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #770
MTK
\m/

A lot of people in the know seem to think Shanahan is a lock.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #771
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
It is probably the best possible outcome at this point because I highly doubt that our next coach will not have a super bowl ring.

I don't think Shannahan is the best GM but it would seem a WC guy would bring continuity on some level as far as the offense.

Now watch the coach bring in a 3-4 guy and our defense goes to hell...
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #772
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Odds on favorite for sure. Lock? Not sure about that. But maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part
Old 12-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #773
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

A month ago when Dallas was playing well and the pillsbury dough boy seemed likely to stay on as HC in dallas - Shanahan probably did seem like a near lock. but If Dallas fires Phillips, I think all bets are off. As disgusting a thought as it may be to imagine, any skins fan wanting Shananan should be rooting for Dallas to win atleast one playoff game.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #774
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
A month ago when Dallas was playing well and the pillsbury dough boy seemed likely to stay on as HC in dallas - Shanahan probably did seem like a near lock. but If Dallas fires Phillips, I think all bets are off. As disgusting a thought as it may be to imagine, any skins fan wanting Shananan should be rooting for Dallas to win atleast one playoff game.
Don't assume Dallas will make it. This is December.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #775
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Also don't assume Shanahan will be an option in Dallas. I was talking to a friend in the Dallas media recently about that and he said that Jerry is less likely to do that since he's got lots of money/debt tied up in the stadium and is not inclined to pay a coach $8-10 million like Shanahan will command. Also, he may not want to give up as much control as he did to Parcells, which Shanahan will also command.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #776
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Don't assume Dallas will make it. This is December.
I don't assume they will - i'm just saying if you (general you, not you specifically) want Shanahan here, then you better hope they make some noise.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #777
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Also don't assume Shanahan will be an option in Dallas. I was talking to a friend in the Dallas media recently about that and he said that Jerry is less likely to do that since he's got lots of money/debt tied up in the stadium and is not inclined to pay a coach $8-10 million like Shanahan will command. Also, he may not want to give up as much control as he did to Parcells, which Shanahan will also command.
Excellent point. However, didn't jones take a "back seat" when he had Parcells?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #778
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Good point on the stadium. Hadn't thought about that. I still think he's a favorite though there. With San Diego about to give (unless they already did) Norv a contract extension, I think Dallas, DC, and Houston are the favorites. In that order
Old 12-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #779
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Good point on the stadium. Hadn't thought about that. I still think he's a favorite though there. With San Diego about to give (unless they already did) Norv a contract extension, I think Dallas, DC, and Houston are the favorites. In that order
You think Jason stays if Shanny comes here?
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #780
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
You think Jason stays if Shanny comes here?
No idea. I mean Shanahan did pass on the chance to draft Campbell back in 2005. But that was probably more so because of what he got in return.

I would guess that if they are in a spot at the end of the year to draft Bradford (and maybe Clausen) in the first round then maybe they will let Campbell go. But I don't think they will be, and they will keep Campbell.

As I mentioned in this thread, or maybe another (I can't remember now), that Campbell's agent and the Redskins FO are allegedly secretly talking about an extension. I don't know if that's true. Alls I know is the last time I heard something like that from the same source it was about Betts getting a contract extension....and a few weeks later he did.

But it doesn't make much sense then for the team to be talking about extending Campbell if Shanahan isn't on board with the team, but might be soon.