Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Our next coach??

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #736
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: Our next coach??

Pain, I understand what your saying. I agree with you. At this point the best we could do is keep a WCO because of terminology and consistancy. I was just pointing out that if we are going to "blow" this thing all up then changing won't matter. Especially if our OL is going to consist of mostly new players.

Shanahan is not my first choice. but what does intrege me is what he had in Denver with the OL. I always thought they had the best blocking scheme. If Shanahan can bring that with him then I'm somewhat ok with the decision. It always seemed like they could run on anyone. Plus I think his WCO style is more of a down field scheme (passing) vs some of the others we have seen.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #737
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Pain, I understand what your saying. I agree with you. At this point the best we could do is keep a WCO because of terminology and consistancy. I was just pointing out that if we are going to "blow" this thing all up then changing won't matter. Especially if our OL is going to consist of mostly new players.

Shanahan is not my first choice. but what does intrege me is what he had in Denver with the OL. I always thought they had the best blocking scheme. If Shanahan can bring that with him then I'm somewhat ok with the decision. It always seemed like they could run on anyone. Plus I think his WCO style is more of a down field scheme (passing) vs some of the others we have seen.
That was because of the O-line coach Alex Gibbs. I think he now coaches in Atlanta.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #738
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I've gone back and forth on Zorn all year, but I'm starting to firm up my view. I think he needs to go.

Going back to the 2nd half of last year is record right now is 5-15. Chew on that for a minute.

The offense only showed improvement when Sherm Lewis was brought in and his playcalling duties were stripped. The guy has no real power or clout in the locker room, it's been pretty clear through his tenure here that Vinny is calling most of the shots and the players know that. Zorn wasn't even able to assemble his own staff.

I love that the team has played their hearts out these last few weeks, but I'm not so sure how much of that credit can really go to Zorn. The players know Zorn is on his way out. Guys are playing hard because they know it's evaluation time for the next staff that comes in, or they are trying to spice up the resume for another team.
I agree with this and have argued for it on the same points. However I did read that after meeting the staff Zorn wanted to keep them and not bring in his own guys, well other than stump and smith of course

No need to have a HC that can't be a HC
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #739
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins89moss View Post
That was because of the O-line coach Alex Gibbs. I think he now coaches in Atlanta.
Oh my god you scared the hell out of me. No he's not with Atlanta. He's actually with Houston who is looking to possibly blow their team up at the end of the season. I guess it would be a plus if we get Shanahan here he could bring his son in from Houston and possibly Alex Gibbs.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #740
skins89moss
Playmaker

Quote:
Oh my god you scared the hell out of me. No he's not with Atlanta. He's actually with Houston who is looking to possibly blow their team up at the end of the season. I guess it would be a plus if we get Shanahan here he could bring his son in from Houston and possibly Alex Gibbs.
Ok Alex Gibbs is with the Texans now. Im sure he spent a few years with the Falcons maybe when Vick was still there. I also believe the Texans will fire their coach this season, due to the teams failure to make the playoffs. High expectations this season for the Texans but again they have struggled. Sounds like our team.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #741
dmek25
MVP

if that is the case , maybe Kubiak ends up here as offensive coordinator?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #742
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
if that is the case , maybe Kubiak ends up here as offensive coordinator?
I would suspect if Shanahan is named HC he will bring in his son from the Texans who is the OC there now. I almost hope not since the Texans don't look good and it essentally would be just bringing in that teams problems here but I'm still betting he tries to set up his son here.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #743
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Ok so I looked and Kubiak was Shanahan's OC in Denver. I could live with him being OC here. But if that happens what do we do with his son whome I would suppose would be brought in? I still would like to get Alex Gibbs for the OL in order to give them new life and a new blocking scheme.

I find it also funny that we picked up Alridge again and put him on the practice squad. I think Shanahan loves this kid. I would love to see us with the great running system that Shanahan had in Denver with Alridge running. So long as the fumbles can be cured.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #744
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

The case for Jerry Gray:
With the offense waking up these past few week because of the playcalling of Shermin Lewis, I can see the skins promoting Jerry Grey to HC. Let go of Jim Zorn, and Sherman Smith, then retain the rest of the staff. If they let go off Vinny and hire a new guy this would give that person a season to see what he has on this washington team.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #745
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
The case for Jerry Gray:
With the offense waking up these past few week because of the playcalling of Shermin Lewis, I can see the skins promoting Jerry Grey to HC. Let go of Jim Zorn, and Sherman Smith, then retain the rest of the staff. If they let go off Vinny and hire a new guy this would give that person a season to see what he has on this washington team.
That would definitely be a PLAN C for Snyder, but one I would be "satisfied" with.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #746
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Ok so I looked and Kubiak was Shanahan's OC in Denver. I could live with him being OC here. But if that happens what do we do with his son whome I would suppose would be brought in? I still would like to get Alex Gibbs for the OL in order to give them new life and a new blocking scheme.

I find it also funny that we picked up Alridge again and put him on the practice squad. I think Shanahan loves this kid. I would love to see us with the great running system that Shanahan had in Denver with Alridge running. So long as the fumbles can be cured.
Why replace Bugel with Alex Gibbs? I wouldn't do it
Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #747
diehardskin2982

I also saw someone throw out Dennis Green, who has worked with Lewis before
Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #748
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Honestly I'm so sick of all the damn change around here. I bought this up in another thread but how in the hell are we ever going to compete against the teams in the division when we're always changing coaches?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #749
diehardskin2982

except for at the top we haven't had overall coaching changes in 5 years
Old 12-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #750
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardskin2982 View Post
I also saw someone throw out Dennis Green, who has worked with Lewis before
I'd rather have Denny Crane (Shatner's character from Boston Legal).
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote