Redskins vs. Falcons Post-Game Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #61
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: Redskins vs. Falcons Post-Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Garcon deserves some love too. 96 catches on the year, seems likely he'll break Monk's record.
Garcon was a great signing by the Redskins because they recognized that he was about to become one of the top receivers in the NFL. They paid for his upside rather than for what he had already done.

Many teams sign FA's who have accomplished alot but are on the downside of their careers, thus paying for what they have done for their previous team versus what they will do for their current team.

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #62
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Getting away from the tiring QB talk for a sec, is there any doubt about Orakpo anymore? Get a deal done with this guy asap. 7.5 sacks in the last 6 games. He's definitely having his best season.
I'm not sold on BO yet. He's having his best season is a garbage year and a contract year. I'm afraid he's setting himself up as another player set to bank rob the Skins.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #63
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Getting away from the tiring QB talk for a sec, is there any doubt about Orakpo anymore? Get a deal done with this guy asap. 7.5 sacks in the last 6 games. He's definitely having his best season.
In my opinion, it is a HUGE mistake to let Brian Orakpo walk. Whoever the DC is next year, they need guys to rebuild the defense around. Kerrigan and Orakpo together can be a monster combination.

And in your post about Garcon - he is truly a #1 in my opinion. I certainly hope he wants to stay in Washington as long as possible, because this franchise has not had a receiver like him in a long, long time. Probably not since Gary Clark/Art Monk.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #64
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I'm not sold on BO yet. He's having his best season is a garbage year and a contract year. I'm afraid he's setting himself up as another player set to bank rob the Skins.
One thing you can't question the guy on is his effort/work ethic. He's always been all in and gives 100%, not just this year.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #65
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I believe his contract goes up significantly after this next season, making him considerably less attractive to trade. I would trade him this off-season, especially if there's a new HC. And then just draft another young QB
If there's a new HC, as is expected, there really isn't any upside to keeping Cousins.

If KC plays well over the next 2 games, his trade value will never be higher. All it takes is one GM or coach to fall in love with him for us to get a mid 2nd and maybe even a conditional 2015 pick for him. I don't think he'll ever get to a 1st round value because of some of his decision making/risk taking. Wherever Kyle ends up immediately becomes the top option for Cousins.

Not to mention if he plays well, the 'noise' surrounding the team and the QB position would be overwhelming considering everything else going on. Best situation for the organization is a quiet, focused offseason at that position, sign a vet that fits the system and draft a rookie in the 5th or so to develop as the long term backup.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #66
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I'm saying the conversation on the radio was "Shanahan's contract is iron clad and a lawyer for the team has looked at it and said we are stuck with him."
Surely, Shanahan can be fired for poor performance based on his W/L record. I doubt that Skins are "stuck with him" but they may have to pay him $7M for not coaching if they fire him.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #67
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
One thing you can't question the guy on is his effort/work ethic. He's always been all in and gives 100%, not just this year.
In the rare moments he's healthy he is all in, unfortunately I'm not convinced he can stay healthy.

Compared to the rest of the D he does look good but that's not saying much. I think if he was a free agent with another team and the Skins wanted him there wouldnt be much support for that move on this site.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #68
Coff
Impact Rookie

I know this has little to do with yesterday's game, but I can't help but address it. If anyone thinks we'd get more than a fourth round pick for Cousins, you're delusional. Why would teams suddenly want to give up 2nd or 3rd rounder for Cousins now when no team in the league drafter him until fourth round to begin with? And don't tell me his on-field performance has increased his value. He's thrown 118 passes. No one is going to look at that and think it's substantial enough to raise his value, even if his performances were good. But they weren't. His TD:INT ratio is 1:1. His completion percentage is a pedestrian 62%. His QB rating is league average. I'm not saying that he's looked poor, I'm just saying that he hasn't shown anything over 118 passing attempts that would make GMs around the league think that he's suddenly worth two draft rounds more than he was. Especially since his contract goes up every year and they'd be paying him more now than a they would be a second round drafted QB. Maybe a desperate team with a late third round pick would make a trade for Cousins, but that's the best case scenario.
Coff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #69
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Surely, Shanahan can be fired for poor performance based on his W/L record. I doubt that Skins are "stuck with him" but they may have to pay him $7M for not coaching if they fire him.
He can be fired. It's will DS be happy paying that sum? We all know MS is owed 7 mill next year but it was reported or I heard today that to get rid of this coaching staff will cost DS around 13 mill.

Then he has to buy another whole coaching staff at what costs? Thats the issue. Will DS do that? I'm thinking not. Others here seem to think he will.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #70
MTK
\m/

Quote:
In the rare moments he's healthy he is all in, unfortunately I'm not convinced he can stay healthy.

Compared to the rest of the D he does look good but that's not saying much. I think if he was a free agent with another team and the Skins wanted him there wouldnt be much support for that move on this site.
Not sure where this myth about him not being able to stay healthy has come from, you're not the only one to say it.

He missed 12 games last year, outside of that he's only missed 1 other game.

He started all 16 in 2009 and 2011. In 2010 he missed 1 game. This year he's started all 14.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #71
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
I know this has little to do with yesterday's game, but I can't help but address it. If anyone thinks we'd get more than a fourth round pick for Cousins, you're delusional. Why would teams suddenly want to give up 2nd or 3rd rounder for Cousins now when no team in the league drafter him until fourth round to begin with? And don't tell me his on-field performance has increased his value. He's thrown 118 passes. No one is going to look at that and think it's substantial enough to raise his value, even if his performances were good. But they weren't. His TD:INT ratio is 1:1. His completion percentage is a pedestrian 62%. His QB rating is league average. I'm not saying that he's looked poor, I'm just saying that he hasn't shown anything over 118 passing attempts that would make GMs around the league think that he's suddenly worth two draft rounds more than he was. Especially since his contract goes up every year and they'd be paying him more now than a they would be a second round drafted QB. Maybe a desperate team with a late third round pick would make a trade for Cousins, but that's the best case scenario.
Color us delusion then. Someone last week (Keim maybe?) polled 6 GMs around the league and the word seemed to be a 2nd rounder seemed appropriate.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #72
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coff View Post
Teams are desperate for a QB, look around the league and when you see Case Kenum, Cassel, Flynn (started for multiple teams), the kid from duke started for the Bills, Freeman, the performance of Geno Smith, etc. Teams are giving anybody a chance to come under center and lead a team. I think a 2nd round pick isnt a crazy risk for any team who believes Cousins can lead a team.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #73
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Not sure where this myth about him not being able to stay healthy has come from, you're not the only one to say it.

He missed 12 games last year, outside of that he's only missed 1 other game.

He started all 16 in 2009 and 2011. In 2010 he missed 1 game. This year he's started all 14.
The peck muscle he re-injured in 2012 was injured in 2011 so while its true he played he wasnt 100%.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #74
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
I never sensed he wasnt the type to give 100% on the field and towards his teamates. Always seen him a high character dude. It might be tough to keep him because teams are taking notice.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #75
MTK
\m/

Quote:
The peck muscle he re-injured in 2012 was injured in 2011 so while its true he played he wasnt 100%.
He was injured in week 17 of 2011.