Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Kirk Cousins Expected To Start Sunday

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the decision to shut down RG3 for the rest of the season?
Yes 56 47.46%
No 39 33.05%
Not sure 23 19.49%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #61
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

So Griff is shutdown now for the rest of Shannys tenure here. Can we be assured these last three weeks is the rest of his tenure? He will not be back next year rite?
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #62
Gary84Clark

Re: Kirk Cousins Expected To Start Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Or you could watch RGIII. Hold the ball too long sack fumble. Run with the ball tackle fumble. Throw the ball up for grabs int. etc............................................... ...........................................
I'm speaking about the actual Kirk Cousins sack fumble not hypotehtical. but you probably didn't see Cousins playing sunday. you didn't watch the game.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #63
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary84Clark View Post
I watched until they took the game off. Kirk looked bad against KC worse than RG3. did you watch the game?
He threw some nice passes and he threw some bad ones. However, he's being put in a tough spot coming off the bench cold. I really wouldn't judge Rex, Kirk or RG3 coming in that type of situation. With a full week of practice and preparation with the first team offense, I'd expect him to play better. I would judge him after the Atlanta game.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #64
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Or you could watch RGIII. Hold the ball too long sack fumble. Run with the ball tackle fumble. Throw the ball up for grabs int. etc............................................... ...........................................
RG3 definitely has ball security issues, but I've been saying for awhile now, I think part of the reason why he runs so much is because he doesn't trust his receivers to either get open or catch the ball. There's been times he's run even when his receivers were getting open. I'm not sure what it would take to fix that.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #65
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I know I know, why would they use the option then if MS didn't think it was a viable scheme? Because they just drafted a mobile QB, one they discovered was having trouble with the play book (maybe just speculation). So the best thing to do is instead of forcing RG3 to play like he's not accustomed to then why not tweak the offense to be able to do what your QB can do? As an example I've heard media pundits complain that RG3's foot work is horrible, and they don't know why MS didn't work harder with RG3's footwork. It's because it takes time and some QB's never get it right. So they might have bailed on the footwork, bailed on RG3's throwing motion, and said lets just do what he does best which is the read option and QB option. <and it worked.

Then the second year was a disaster and the pro defenses have started catching up with the read option. You as HC have also learned that your prized QB has difficulty reading defenses. You'd rather start the back up but know it will cause waves in the organization especially after so many draft picks were given up to get him.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #66
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
RG3 definitely has ball security issues, but I've been saying for awhile now, I think part of the reason why he runs so much is because he doesn't trust his receivers to either get open or catch the ball. There's been times he's run even when his receivers were getting open. I'm not sure what it would take to fix that.
A full offseason with a real coach for starters. Another wr, and lets throw in a side of lineman.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #67
Gary84Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Um, no cause I bailed at half-time like some other fan here suggested everyone do. lol. So I was surprised to hear the next day that Cousins was put in.

However, it's a difficult situation to put a QB in throwing him in and expecting results when he has not game planned through the week. I know everyone is supposed to be ready at all times but the back up QB get very little reps.

Also maybe now the OL might look a little better, maybe, if they know where the QB is going to be and all they have to do is set up a pocket or push defenders beyond the pocket. RG3 kept leaving the pocket sometimes running right into the pressure.
Let me fill you in. Polumbus let his man bull rush. Cousins fumbled and Ploumbus recoverd it. Cousins was trying to release the ball quicker but he was staring down receivers and almost threw several picks.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #68
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
I said that you don't ever have a father son combo from day they hired them.
Yea you kinda did.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #69
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Let me fill you in. Polumbus let his man bull rush. Cousins fumbled and Ploumbus recoverd it. Cousins was trying to release the ball quicker but he was staring down receivers and almost threw several picks.
This. Cousins also held onto the ball for a long time on that fumble. Dude has the mechanics, (can throw a sharp accurate pass) but not the skill yet (tends to stare down receivers, not read zones well etc)

Old 12-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #70
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
In the brief bit that I have seen Cousins this year and last year I do not think he has the big play ability that RG3 has shown from last year and to a much lesser extent this year. While a game manager type of QB can get you to the playoffs I don't think they have what it takes to succeed consistently in todays NFL. I have heard the professionals discuss Cousins quick release and comfort in the pocket and that certainly is a plus in his favor. On the other side I am concerned of some of the habits that RG3 has been developing this year like not stepping into throws. Yes he is young but he is getting to an age where habits become more challenging to break.
Also heard the same about "running QB's". Many of people here have said very few QB's like RG3, McNabb, etc. etc. do not do well and don't go very far because they are often injured. Some have said they would prefer a pocket passer.

Cousins might not seem to have the "IT" factor but maybe he manages the ball well and wins the games. Sounds like Eli Manning to me.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #71
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Look I saw the play later on the news. No need to fill me in. I've said last year we need a bonified RT. How many times did RG3 fumble the ball in the pocket because Polumbus got beat? or Trent? or the whole center of the OL?

I get the OL is bad. But as Firstdown said it doesn't excuse the holding the ball too long, not stepping up into throws, throwing the ball up for grabs, over throwing your WR's, terrible foot work, etc. etc.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #72
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
This. Cousins also held onto the ball for a long time on that fumble. Dude has the mechanics, (can throw a sharp accurate pass) but not the skill yet (tends to stare down receivers, not read zones well etc)
Wait... your talking about RG3, right? LOL. I see all that with RG3. Their young QB's still learning. RG3's INT on Sunday was him staring down the WR the WHOLE time. The announcers even mentioned it. So RG3 is no saint either.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #73
Fiversons
Special Teams

Giant, Eagle and Cowboy fans at work always make fun of the Skins this year after each game saying how last year was just a fluke and we are doomed to failure...

This is such a train wreck, they have quit talking about the Redskins or football in general around me... That's how bad this Circus is... Fans from our hated rivals actually feel bad for me being a Skins fan, they have laid off this week...
Fiversons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #74
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Look I saw the play later on the news. No need to fill me in. I've said last year we need a bonified RT. How many times did RG3 fumble the ball in the pocket because Polumbus got beat? or Trent? or the whole center of the OL?

I get the OL is bad. But as Firstdown said it doesn't excuse the holding the ball too long, not stepping up into throws, throwing the ball up for grabs, over throwing your WR's, terrible foot work, etc. etc.
People are going to blame the knee brace for the foot work and the accuracy. I don't know much about throwing mechanics so I can't agree or disagree with that, just from what I've read in the past.

RG3 definitely needs to work on holding onto the ball, as he's in 2nd place behind Matt Stafford in terms of fumbles (11). While some of that is RG3's blame, the o-line shouldn't be letting him get nailed so much.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #75
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

What sucks about Griff being inactive is now i feel obligated to watch KC just out of curiosity. Damn.