Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Secondary is a Primary

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #61
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
IMO you want your safety to be a much better tackler than DHall.
Good point. I'd love to get a player that made an impact like woodson did in green bay but obviously Charles woodson doesn't walk through many teams doors often.

Advertisements
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #62
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Re: Secondary is a Primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Well, as some of you may know, I don't like DHall. He is inconsistent to the max. One week he shuts down Dez Bryant, another week he gets burned and abused by Boldin.
Not that I'm a D Hall apologist, because he does have his issues, but Boldin abused pretty much everyone he faced this past year. I think he was much better the second half of the season as well and can continue that moving forward as our secondary improves. It will take pressure of him to have to make all the big plays.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #63
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Wonder if hall would be a good option at safety?
They took a look last year and if he was any good he could have easily taken either spot with all the injuries and bad play from that position. I think that experiment is over.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #64
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
IMO you want your safety to be a much better tackler than DHall.
I've posted the stats here before from PFF...Hall is one of the top-tackling safeties in football, so is Reed Doughty.

If Hall is true to his word and will stay for less money, I'd definitely keep him. If we can get our starting SS in Round 2 of the draft, we could use Hall at either nickel CB or starting FS. Hopefully Chase Minnifield or another FA or drafted rookie can be our other starting CB alongside Wilson.

Regardless, we need at least 2 new starters in the secondary, both safety spots. If we can get two outstanding safeties, we can keep Hall and Wilson at CB and be fine. If we can snag another great starting CB, moving Hall to FS is an attractive option to me. Anyway, we just need two starting safeties from somewhere...draft, FA or from moving Hall back there, which will only be possible if we get another quality CB.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #65
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinzWin View Post
Not that I'm a D Hall apologist, because he does have his issues, but Boldin abused pretty much everyone he faced this past year. I think he was much better the second half of the season as well and can continue that moving forward as our secondary improves. It will take pressure of him to have to make all the big plays.
Ok, Boldin maybe wasn't a great example.

Use Mike Williams, Vikings WRs, Steelers WRs, Amendola, and so on as examples of him getting beat like a drum.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #66
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I've posted the stats here before from PFF...Hall is one of the top-tackling safeties in football, so is Reed Doughty.

If Hall is true to his word and will stay for less money, I'd definitely keep him. If we can get our starting SS in Round 2 of the draft, we could use Hall at either nickel CB or starting FS. Hopefully Chase Minnifield or another FA or drafted rookie can be our other starting CB alongside Wilson.

Regardless, we need at least 2 new starters in the secondary, both safety spots. If we can get two outstanding safeties, we can keep Hall and Wilson at CB and be fine. If we can snag another great starting CB, moving Hall to FS is an attractive option to me. Anyway, we just need two starting safeties from somewhere...draft, FA or from moving Hall back there, which will only be possible if we get another quality CB.
Fair enough. I remember seeing stats that had Hall at the bottom in tackling. I've also seen Hall miss many makeable tackles. But I don't know where those stats I saw came from and I don't have time to look right now, so I will defer to your numbers and agree with you. As long as he can tackle, Hall should make a good safety.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #67
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Why is that? Safety is pretty loaded in this draft. There should be a few nice prospects sitting there in the 2nd round.
It seems unlikely to score a starting caliber FS in the 2nd round, yeah. Admittedly I don't follow college ball enough to say this guy or that won't be available etc, but FS is one of the toughest positions in football IMO.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #68
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailgreen28 View Post
vet min, with a bonus if he slaps dez bryant again.

definitely not worth the contract now. But hope we bring him back at a reasonable price, based on his contributions last season. Should be worth starter money, right?
lol
Old 02-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #69
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
It seems unlikely to score a starting caliber FS in the 2nd round, yeah. Admittedly I don't follow college ball enough to say this guy or that won't be available etc, but FS is one of the toughest positions in football IMO.
Mike Mayock: Safety Johnathan Cyprien ‘makes a lot of sense’ for Redskins
Old 02-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #70
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post

Solid post. I wonder if FS can be solidified SS won't have to be addressed right away. Doughty played lights out toward the end of the season. Merriweather will come back for a minimal contract.
I'm just looking at overall team needs. RT has to be upgraded too, and we shouldn't skimp on that one. I'd like to think he's on our roster already but who knows. That guy needs to protect our passer well from day one.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #71
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Not only could you get a starter at either safety position in the 2nd this year, but the 3rd round as well.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #72
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Lots of speculation there. It'd be great if he fell to us though.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #73
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
Is there a consensus here on Hall's future with us?
Here's the thing with Hall.... his contract cannot be "restructured". A restructure is when a guy is gonna be on the team either way, and we rearrange the money to push more to the future. Trent Williams is a good example of a potential restructure.

There is 0% chance Hall comes back under his current contract, and we can release him for free (pretty much). So in other words Hall should be viewed as a free agent.

So the proper question is - should we bring in free agent DHall?

In this light I'm not sure I'd want him back. Not hating on DHall, but once we're bringing in a free agent I'd rather target youth. I suspect if Hall was coming from another team, no one would want us to take him.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #74
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
Here's the thing with Hall.... his contract cannot be "restructured". A restructure is when a guy is gonna be on the team either way, and we rearrange the money to push more to the future. Trent Williams is a good example of a potential restructure.

There is 0% chance Hall comes back under his current contract, and we can release him for free (pretty much). So in other words Hall should be viewed as a free agent.

In this light I'm not sure I'd want him back. Not hating on DHall, but once we're bringing in a free agent I'd rather target youth. I suspect if Hall was coming from another team, no one would want us to take him.
Good info.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #75
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post

It is good info. But Hall's experience in the system and ball-hawk skills should still make him a top prospect in FA, at CB or FS. I mean, it seems like a plus we have to release him and deal as a FA situation.