To Read Option, or Not

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #61
30gut
Playmaker

Re: To Read Option, or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
The ravens showed in the super bowl, you knock the crap out of out him when they do the option play, whether he has the ball or not. It starts to get the QB rattled, more snaps to the RB, and as we saw when the QB is rattled or hit a lot, he doesn't play up to par with some bad throws, just like Kaepernick did.
I don't think this is an accurate account of the SB. Kaep passed for 302 and the team rushed for 182 yards.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #62
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Agreed. And more read option play action passes.

To stop the read option defenses will send one guy take the QB and have another defender shadow the RB for the pitch option. We saw several teams (eg. Dallas, Baltimore) try this last year. This will leave defenders out of position for pass coverage. So when defenders set themselves to defend the read option run, it will not be difficult to go over their heads.
And the defender assigned to the QB is therefore (a) not playing coverage and (b) out of position to play the backside/cut-back play and (c) prone to bite on read action

The only way to truely even up the numbers against a zone read play is to replace the defender assigned to the QB, in college team usually do this by moving a S into the box and play only 1 deep FS which means (a) the team is playing man-to-man against the WRs which is a win for the offense or (b) the defense is playing some type of single post FS zone coverage, which makes it easier for the QB to read the coverages because the variety is narrowed down; especially when an offense is running up-tempo or no huddle
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #63
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
And the defender assigned to the QB is therefore (a) not playing coverage and (b) out of position to play the backside/cut-back play and (c) prone to bite on read action

The only way to truely even up the numbers against a zone read play is to replace the defender assigned to the QB, in college team usually do this by moving a S into the box and play only 1 deep FS which means (a) the team is playing man-to-man against the WRs which is a win for the offense or (b) the defense is playing some type of single post FS zone coverage, which makes it easier for the QB to read the coverages because the variety is narrowed down; especially when an offense is running up-tempo or no huddle
Precisely.

Once again you and I are on the same page when it comes to offensive strategy.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #64
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Precisely.

Once again you and I are on the same page when it comes to offensive strategy.
Count me in on the strategy party as well.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #65
44Deezel
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
I may be in the minority on this, but I do not believe Shanny should abandon the read option. By the middle of the season, Griffin was so good at reading defensive ends, that when he opted to keep the ball, he always seemed to get 10+ yards untouched before either sliding or scampering out of bounds. Fact of the matter, his concussion against Atlanta and his initial LCL injury against Baltimore came when a passing play broke down, and he tried to get too much out of his legs instead of throwing the ball away or sliding earlier. It's on Griffin to get better at protecting himself in those situations.

What became clear to me is that a healthy Griffin running read option out of the pistol paralyzes even the most dominant defensive ends, forcing them to read then react. I strongly believe that if we run a normal pocket passing attack, Griffin will take more hits from the likes of JPP, Umenyiora, Trent Cole, and Demarcus Ware.
It's the safest Offense for him to run. It was clear that pass protection was a weakness, so he's more vulnerable dropping back in a traditional set than he is running zone read or running their conventional plays out of the pistol. No brainier.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #66
skinsfan69
Living Legend

When we played Seattle, they ran it on us and we couldn't stop it. The best teams in the NFC, Seattle and SF will both be running parts of this in their offense. We need to keep it in as well.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #67
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Mike Shanahan wants Robert Griffin III to protect himself better - ESPN

Quote:
PHOENIX -- The Washington Redskins don't know when Robert Griffin III will be ready to play again following offseason knee surgery, but whenever the quarterback does return to the field, coach Mike Shanahan would like to see him do a better job of protecting himself.

Mike Shanahan wants Robert Griffin III to take fewer big hits, such as this one by the Buccaneers' Mark Barron, next season.

"You can't take shots consistently," Shanahan said at the NFC coaches breakfast Wednesday morning at the NFL owners meetings.

Shanahan said he thinks more experience as a pocket passer and more practice throwing the ball away or sliding in situations that call for it will help Griffin improve in areas of his game he didn't have to worry about as a Heisman Trophy-winning superstar in college.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #68
Bishop Hammer
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
I wouldn't scrap it , but wouldn't use it as often . upgrade the OL and we can line up and run downhill , not to mention better pass protection .
IAWTP. The read option is a valulable tool, chucking it altogether would be foolhardy. Same time if its relied upon to much defenses will figure it out sooner rather than later and RG3's chances of injury will increase.
he's already in me
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored

Stone Roses
"I wanna be adored"
Bishop Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #69
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post

Teams tried to at I safety back against us in the second half of the season and III burned them. Both Robinson long balls against the Eagles and Cowboys consecutively were the result. Teams did not try it again and actually moved to two deep safety play.

We are dangerous and our offense is different than those who tried to replicate it. By that I mean better.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #70
Meks
Pro Bowl

I agree, the knockoffs of our offense were.... well just that, knockoffs... and i seem to remember stopping seattle for almost a full half and they were lucky in the bits of success they had against us.. imo
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #71
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
I agree, the knockoffs of our offense were.... well just that, knockoffs... and i seem to remember stopping seattle for almost a full half and they were lucky in the bits of success they had against us.. imo
If III was healthy for the entire game I still believe we would have won and after that who knows.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #72
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by artmonkforhallofamein07 View Post
If III was healthy for the entire game I still believe we would have won and after that who knows.
This. We completely dominated on offense side, even with Griffin's bum knee. Until the knee got worst after the fall in red zone.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #73
whistler
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Hammer View Post
IAWTP. The read option is a valulable tool, chucking it altogether would be foolhardy. Same time if its relied upon to much defenses will figure it out sooner rather than later and RG3's chances of injury will increase.
The read option is a gimmick offense at this level. The right personnel and defensive scheme would stop it flat! A defense with a hybrid SS/LB on the outside(s) behind a 4 man line w/ends wide and 2 inside linebackers that fill is the answer (correct=single safety see-Texas in the 80's), personnel is the answer.
Griffin is best in a spread type of offense where he can scramble if needed, with up-tempo and plays called at the line of scrimmage. I forgot that would require the Shannys to relinquish all of the play calling and game mis-management. NEVERMIND
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #74
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
The read option is a gimmick offense at this level. The right personnel and defensive scheme would stop it flat! A defense with a hybrid SS/LB on the outside(s) behind a 4 man line w/ends wide and 2 inside linebackers that fill is the answer (correct=single safety see-Texas in the 80's), personnel is the answer.
Griffin is best in a spread type of offense where he can scramble if needed, with up-tempo and plays called at the line of scrimmage. I forgot that would require the Shannys to relinquish all of the play calling and game mis-management. NEVERMIND
An NFC East Championship says you're wrong.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #75
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
Do you......surmise that the teams (and their combined staffs) we plagued with the read option all year somehow, were eluded by this revelation?
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote