Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Secondary a Primary Concern

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #61
44Deezel
The Starter

Re: Secondary a Primary Concern

Giants were 28th in pass defense last year and dead last in rushing. They had Eli and could rush the passer. The point is we're going to have holes just like every other team in the league. If and when RGIII excels at the QB position, the Skins will contend year in and year out and year out.

Advertisements
Old 08-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #62
RGIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
O line is more of a concern with all of the injuries. If we get banged up in the secondary like we are in the O line, then yeah we are screwed, but the D looked tight against Buffalo, so for now the O line is the only big concern. Those guys have our biggest investment to protect. If he goes down, so does our season.
Are you saying the 'secondary [is] a secondary concern'?
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #63
RGIII

Hall playing safety is a concern. Why?
RGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #64
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Giants were 28th in pass defense last year and dead last in rushing. They had Eli and could rush the passer. The point is we're going to have holes just like every other team in the league. If and when RGIII excels at the QB position, the Skins will contend year in and year out and year out.
I'd be curious to get Giantone's take on this, but I feel that the Giants were able to generate a hell of a pass rush with their d-line alone. I feel that this helped them in protecting their secondary without having to send extra players on a blitz.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #65
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
Yes they were, but from the point the Skins beat them and they dropped to 7-7 until they won the superbowl those numbers are very deceiving. When they went on that run their running game, and pass D stepped up big time. So my point is that its not only up to RG-3, and our D-line - but if and when the time comes for our o-line and secondary to step it up to the next level - they have to do so. Just like the Giants "holes" stepped it up.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #66
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

I'm skeptical about Cedric Griffin playing corner. The man was torched for 41 yards on the first play from scrimmage, I heard. I thought that the coaches would have him play safety but he could provide quality depth at corner. Maybe he just had a bad outing but I don't expect such poor play from a corner that used to play the Bears twice a year.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #67
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I'm skeptical about Cedric Griffin playing corner. The man was torched for 41 yards on the first play from scrimmage, I heard. I thought that the coaches would have him play safety but he could provide quality depth at corner. Maybe he just had a bad outing but I don't expect such poor play from a corner that used to play the Bears twice a year.
Against Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler dude. It wasnt Jake Locker and Kendall Wright. Keep some perspective.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #68
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monksdown View Post
Against Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler dude. It wasnt Jake Locker and Kendall Wright. Keep some perspective.
C. Griffin hasn't looked good in the past two games. It is the preseason and secondary is a weakness...but I'd like to see some improvement from him. As I said before, he's making the rest of the secondary player look good.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #69
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
We're in the NFC East and playing against the AFC North this season. We need guys who can play.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #70
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
It doesn't matter who the opposing QB and star wide receiver is, home boy. The fact of the matter is Cedric Griffin didn't play well. I know Brandon Marshall is one of the best wide outs in the NFL, but Griffin could have defended that play better than he did.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #71
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Outside of Hall, the pastfew seasons we have had a vanilla defensive backfield and we seem to alway be OK. The off line already being banged up has to be the bigger concern. Haslett and co will have a nice secondary in place come week 1.
Outside of the bears game hall hasnt exactly been chocolate......
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #72
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Someone please step up. We can't have Reed trying to cover people. He can tackle well, but that's it.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #73
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Outside of Hall, the pastfew seasons we have had a vanilla defensive backfield and we seem to alway be OK. The off line already being banged up has to be the bigger concern. Haslett and co will have a nice secondary in place come week 1.

So now playbooks AND roster lists have flavors?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #74
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post

So now playbooks AND roster lists have flavors?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #75
Monksdown
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
It doesn't matter who the opposing QB and star wide receiver is, home boy. The fact of the matter is Cedric Griffin didn't play well. I know Brandon Marshall is one of the best wide outs in the NFL, but Griffin could have defended that play better than he did.
I just dont understand why we're surprised that our 3rd db sucks against elite talent. We knew this was coming this season. We anticipated it. I said it a few weeks ago in a different thread. Our defense is going to give up a lot of big plays this year. Hopefully they stiffen up a bit in the redzone, but i wouldnt count on it. We'll stop the run, but big receivers will dominate us all year. Hopefully our OLB's improve from being Good to Great. That's really our only hope against the pass. Raheem is a good motivator, but you cant coach height and speed. Cedric's technique will likely improve by the end of the year, but at that point we'll be looking to address the situation via free agency.
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote