Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A question of style: Evan, Roy or Tim?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #61
30gut
Playmaker

Re: A question of style: Evan, Roy or Tim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I envision Helu as a poor mans Ray Rice. I really hope he catches on.
I think Helu will catch on as the lead back eventually, his running style reminds me of a Matt Forte or Arian Foster.
Kinda upright and linear not a whole lot of shake but has smooth change of direction, makes use of a good jump cut and speed.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #62
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I'm a Helu fan, but in some instances I think he loses his feet too quickly upon contact. In other instances he breaks tackles and keeps the legs churning.

Knowing he studies film and is dedicated as they come I think we'll see better consistency this season. I think he'll be our most productive back for years to come, barring the unforeseen.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #63
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
I think he'll be our most productive back for years to come, barring the unforeseen.
I think Helu emerges as the lead back this season, hopefully by week 1.

Now all we need to do is run the ball a little more....
Old 05-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #64
MTK
\m/

Playing with more leads will help the pass/run ratio
Old 05-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #65
30gut
Playmaker

If only running the ball more was just about having the lead
Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #66
MTK
\m/

No, but it sure would help.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #67
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Transcript of Redskins coach Mike Shanahan on PFT Live | ProFootballTalk

just read this today, but in reference to our RB situation when PFT ask Shanny about that this is what he said:

"You know, Tim Hightower did a great job for us before he got hurt in the fourth game last year. Roy Helu came in, and I thought he did an excellent job, showed his speed. He was able to play in first, second and third down. You know, Evan Royster over the last five, six games of the season averaged almost six yards a carry. So we’ve got some guys who have got some playing experience, obviously with Helu and Royster going to the second year. You know, they’re excited about getting started. Tim is a natural leader, he came in and really impressed everybody with not only his football skills but his leadership skills as well, so we’ve got three experienced guys there. And then we have four guys in right now like Tristan Davis, Alfred Morris our draft choice, and Creer and Bailey, that we think we’ve got a little depth there and let guys fight for a position."

When it comes down to it folks, styles aside, its all about production at the RB spot. That "almost six yards a carry" is a stat apparently Shanny remembers well.

Hightower bringing the leadership is just great to hear especially with the younger RBs.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #68
The Goat
Pro Bowl

What a turnaround from previous regimes, eh? Don't get me wrong I loved CP but it was always scary if he went down with Betts injury prone and really no other talent at the position.

I hope we run the ball a ton this season. It will help take pressure off Griffin and wear down defenses.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #69
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
When it comes down to it folks, styles aside, its all about production at the RB spot. That "almost six yards a carry" is a stat apparently Shanny remembers well.

Hightower bringing the leadership is just great to hear especially with the younger RBs.
Production is certainly important but it obviously linked to the situation and talent around them.
Production has a context that ability does not.
Ability is all about the individual players attributes.
The framework of ability over production allows people to view Barry Sanders as the superior RB despite Emmit Smiths superior production.

If you think Evan Royster can maintain his 5.9 ypc per carry past his 56 total carries and into the 200+ carry ballpark then sure production trumps all.
But, keep in mind Earnest Graham on fewer then 50 carries has a 5.6 ypc.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #70
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
What a turnaround from previous regimes, eh? Don't get me wrong I loved CP but it was always scary if he went down with Betts injury prone and really no other talent at the position.

I hope we run the ball a ton this season. It will help take pressure off Griffin and wear down defenses.
You take that back! Rock Cartwright was a monster!
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #71
30gut
Playmaker

Rock Carwright 2005 ypc 7.4 on 27 carries
Old 05-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #72
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Rock Cartwright was such a useful player. Unfortunately by the end, he was just a special teams ace on a team with about four other ST aces, and pretty poor special teams units.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #73
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Production is certainly important but it obviously linked to the situation and talent around them.
Production has a context that ability does not.
Ability is all about the individual players attributes.
The framework of ability over production allows people to view Barry Sanders as the superior RB despite Emmit Smiths superior production.

If you think Evan Royster can maintain his 5.9 ypc per carry past his 56 total carries and into the 200+ carry ballpark then sure production trumps all.
But, keep in mind Earnest Graham on fewer then 50 carries has a 5.6 ypc.
I kinda think that is really important, your point of context. the ability to work together with your oline, to work in sync for the most production. So Royster ability to gain those yards working well with the cogs at Oline is a positive right?

I remember watching Parcells talking about drafting RBs, YPC was his top indicator, didnt matter how it happed as long as the guy touched the ball and could be productive with it.

I think Royster drastically improved from the beginning to end of year, and I think that YPC was surprising, as well as impressive. If I had to put money on our starter next year, Royster would be the guy.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #74
Gary84Clark

Quote:
I kinda think that is really important, your point of context. the ability to work together with your oline, to work in sync for the most production. So Royster ability to gain those yards working well with the cogs at Oline is a positive right?

I remember watching Parcells talking about drafting RBs, YPC was his top indicator, didnt matter how it happed as long as the guy touched the ball and could be productive with it.

I think Royster drastically improved from the beginning to end of year, and I think that YPC was surprising, as well as impressive. If I had to put money on our starter next year, Royster would be the guy.
Royster looked like a starter. Shannahn like RB's that were very productive in college. But on the other hand I like Helu too. I think Shannahan is gonna have fun switching starters based on game plan versus opponent. Got to give him props on those two RBs.
Gary84Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #75
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Um sure? But wouldn't you also have to consider:

(a) that obviously his low number of carries skews his ypc
(b) the fact that Royster had a benefit of playing behind an OL that gel as opposed to playing behind a patchwork experimental OL that included the Eric Cook at Center (who turned out to be inept) and Will Montgomery at LG (who proved to be overmatched at OG)
(c) quality of the competition/defenses faced in Royster's only starts

Quote:
It obviously goes without saying that Parcells would not weigh ypc on a few carries equally with the ypc with a lot of carries.

There is no way around the fact that his low number of carries skews his ypc.

Quote:
I thought Royster looked good in preseason.
I'm not surprised by his ypc because I remember watching those games and the yards were there.
I think the starter is gonna be won during training camp, but if I were a betting man (i am) my money would be on Helu.

What about Royster's running style do you like?

Last edited by 30gut; 05-25-2012 at 05:44 PM.