Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Art Monk vs. NFL

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #61
MTK
\m/

Re: Art Monk vs. NFL

The players keep getting bigger and faster which = bigger collisions, I would guess the # of concussions have risen over the years.

Advertisements
Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #62
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
You could put guys out there with no helmets and there's still going to be concussions.

It's not getting at the root of the problem.

Yes it's just this simple ...it's a contact sport,be it contact with another player or the ground,you can try and soften the blow but in the end the only way not to get hit by contact is not to play the game.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #63
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
You could put guys out there with no helmets and there's still going to be concussions.

Yeah. The following article talks about researchers simulating "typical hits" that are not James Harrsion-esque. Neither leather helmets nor modern ones do a really good job protecting against concussions.

Death by a Thousand Cuts - Pulling No Punches - March 2012 - Pittsburgh, PA

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #64
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:

Well, football is a violent, collusion sport. So, eliminating concussions altogether is not going to happen unless they tie huge pillows to the players' helmets.

With that said, personally, I think the root of the problem is that players have gotten away from the basic fundamentals of tackling, and have migrated more toward the big, highlights showing hit. And, I DO think that is greatly contributed to the modern helmets giving the players a since of being invincible. Not saying they should go back to old technology or leather helmets, just saying I think players have learned to use themselves more as weapons than tackling machines.

For instance, I went back and watched one of the Super Bowls, and it appeared to me that everybody on defense concentrated more on wrapping up the ball carrier rather than the big hit. There were still big hits back then, mind you, but it wasn't how it seems today where the defensive backs were trying to sling themselves at the ball carrier like they do often today. I think that is the biggest issue with the concussions in modern times; players just need to concentrate on the fundamentals of tackling again instead of trying to get on the highlight reel.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #65
MTK
\m/

Yeah getting back to the fundamentals of tackling would go a long way, and this mentality of going for the kill shot is what I think Goodell is trying to curb. Either way you'll never completely eliminate concussions, but I do think more can be done to reduce them.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #66
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Yeah getting back to the fundamentals of tackling would go a long way, and this mentality of going for the kill shot is what I think Goodell is trying to curb. Either way you'll never completely eliminate concussions, but I do think more can be done to reduce them.
amen.
i remember in pop warner practice making a wrap-up tackle and the coach making a huge deal out of it. going back to exhibit it again at half speed. i was 10 years old but i was so proud because coach made a big deal, i made sure to try to repeat it as often as possible.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #67
CrustyRedskin
Playmaker

Art Monk just made the College FB Hall of Fame, wonder if they are going to sue the NCAA as well....hm

HTTR. You wern't a bunch of losers on 10-27-14.
CrustyRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #68
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Ricky Williams dismisses concussion data in favor of ‘mind over matter’ approach | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

The saying.....It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt....comes to mind right about now.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #69
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I have heard, through pretty reliable people, that it was not Monk's decision to be the lead plaintiff and he's pretty upset that he's been thrust to the forefront of this lawsuit.

So my question is...how is it decided who the lead plaintiff is?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #70
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I have heard, through pretty reliable people, that it was not Monk's decision to be the lead plaintiff and he's pretty upset that he's been thrust to the forefront of this lawsuit.

Is it because he's the most notable and would garner public support? Much like Tom Brady, Manning, and Brees were on the lawsuits against the NFL during the lockout deal.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #71
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:

is the lead plaintiff any different from any other plaintiff or just a title?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #72
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Ricky Williams dismisses concussion data in favor of ‘mind over matter’ approach | Shutdown Corner - Yahoo! Sports

The saying.....It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt....comes to mind right about now.
He should just stick to playing football.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #73
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
is the lead plaintiff any different from any other plaintiff or just a title?
Honestly, I don't know. Maybe CRedskinsRule has a brother who's a lawyer or something
Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #74
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I think the talk about wrap up tackling isn't as easy as it sounds. You reference back to Pop Warner football. I understand the point you're triyng to make with that example, but it's not applicable to the pro game.

The offense constantly get rules in their favor that limits what the defense can really do to stop the offense. I think the focus of NFL defenses have changed from trying to stop the opposing teams in 3 downs and forcing a punt by solid defense to forcing turnovers being the best option for stopping an offense that has all the rules in their favor. Big hits on QBs and on the ball carriers are the best way to stop an offense in today's game.

I believe a lot of the rule changes have forced defensive players to headhunt more than ever before. There were concussions before the change in philosophy to promiting dominant offenses, but I'm talking more about saying "just wrap up" isn't fair anymore.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #75
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know. Maybe CRedskinsRule has a brother who's a lawyer or something
One can only hope, that if such a brother exists, that he may also be a member of this forum who can answer this question.

Personally, I would presume lead plaintiff is mostly just a title, and there might be more responsibility in it than of all the other plaintiffs (i.e. lead plaintiff has to show up in court whereas others don't, etc.).