Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Raiders)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #61
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Raiders)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Referees Horrible calls on both sides. Against Davis on the celebration, and against Eugene on the interference with ARE.

Did anyone else who saw Desean Jackson backstep into the endzone and do a Broadway show, wonder quietly "and Fred Davis got a penalty for what?"
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #62
MTK
\m/

I'm gonna lay off the smackdown for 1 week. After the most complete effort we've seen from this team in quite some time it just wouldn't feel right. Yeah I know, it was the Raiders, but I don't care about that. They did just beat the Bengals & Steelers, right?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #63
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper11 View Post
It's still Zorn's offense and he installs the gameplan and he and Smith coordinate and coach during the week. Sherm Lewis gets a copy of the gameplan and calls the plays (at least the passing ones and if it will be a run) on Sunday. JC has said repeatedly that he rarely, if ever, talks with Lewis. IMO, Lewis' has showed that Zorn was simply wearing too many hats and couldn't execute them all. Rather than focusing on the next three plays so one is ready the second the play is over, he's running the sideline, working the officials (though he still has a lot to learn on that) and offering insight. Minor changes to the coaching staff is to be expected, but don't blow it up. Since the second half of the Falcons game this team has fought hard and played well.
If it's not the coaches embracing their roles, then it has to be that CP brings the team down.
Ok, maybe you and everyone telling us this is correct and not a lie. I for one don't buy it. 16 games of 17 or less points put on the board. 16 games of mediocracy. 16 games where the coaching staff could not figure out what the hell was going on. Sherm Lewis is brought in and Ta Daa. I'm getting the feeling it's more like Sherm Lewis draws up the game plan, perhaps with Sherm Smith, and it's handed to the HC to get the players on board with what they are going to be trying to do in the next game. I know all the pundits and media have asked and we keep hearing how it's handed up to him and "approved" or "tweeked" by Lewis but I get the feeling it's more the opposite way around. God forbid people heard Lewis designes everything and simply has Zorn coaching the players in how to empliment it.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #64
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well this game looked pretty ugly early on. But it ended beautifully. Nice to finally see the Redskins blow-out an opponent. Did you all see that stat today that the Redskins have been in the most games decided by 3 points or less since 2003? 40 games, record of 17-23.

Ganther continues to impress me. He can't really block much right now, but we might be spoiled because we have the best blocking back in the league in Clinton Portis. Still, I love the way Ganther hits the hole and fights for the extra yards. I hope we find a place on the roster for him next year.

I've been critical of Kareem Moore, but he made some very nice textbook tackles today. Nice to see both Moore and Tryon stepping...and I keep forgetting that we also have Chris Horton on the roster as well.

And finally, can't say enough about Lorenzo Alexander-making tackles on special teams, blocking on rushing touchdowns, getting a sack.

Ok, let's get to the smack down:

Offensive Line The Raiders defensive line is underrated but still Campbell bailed out his line all day. He got little to no help from them today. I couldn't tell exactly who was the main culprit (I'll have to go back and see), but it looked Rabach. Also, as mentioned above the pass blocking frum the running backs was suspect at best. By the way, I thought Campbell was sharp but I still want to see him succeed in more pressure situations.

LaRon Landry Nice forced fumble and key interception. Still he was getting targeted and abused by Gradkowski the whole first half. Landry benefited the most from Russell entering the game, since Russell has no sense of timing with anyone else in the offense it seems

Danny Smith I'm tired of putting ARE on my smack down list seemingly every week. So I'm putting it on the coach now. C'mon Danny, enough is enough. Get ARE off the field for punt returns already.

Referees Horrible calls on both sides. Against Davis on the celebration, and against Eugene on the interference with ARE.

Overall, nice to finally get a win after weeks of coming so close. Cerrato and the front office have given us some pieces to build with....still think there will be and should be changes in the coaching staff and front office though
The call against Daivs was stupid but Davis ( and Thomas) just needs to hand the ball to the ref and move on. I'm tired of watching these guys showboat when they score. Act like you've been there.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #65
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
and laron isn't? i know mcfadden is good, but laron is supposed should be able to cover a running back
McFadden could definitely be a #2 receiver somewhere, and we all know how Landry fared against Mecheam.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #66
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I'm gonna lay off the smackdown for 1 week. After the most complete effort we've seen from this team in quite some time it just wouldn't feel right. Yeah I know, it was the Raiders, but I don't care about that. They did just beat the Bengals & Steelers, right?
Yes, this team is really headed in the right direction. I'm going against the grain and hoping that there isn't much changes that are made next year with the current set of offensive players and coaches, except for maybe an infusion of youth and depth with the draft.

I think they are building momentum and I would hate to see that go all to waste. What happens if they blow everything up again? They kill the success with the offense that they have been trying to get to for so long - going back to Norv Turner's redskins. And a new offense will more than likely not be able to produce like it has been under Sherm Lewis's play calling. Sherm Lewis is getting the best production with these players, especially out of Campbell, and it didn't take Lewis 2-3 years to do this; hell, it didn't even take him but 2-3 games to get things going.

And I know there are other factors that have led to the recent redskins offensive success, but it's no coincidence that it started soon after Lewis started calling plays.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #67
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The call against Daivs was stupid but Davis ( and Thomas) just needs to hand the ball to the ref and move on. I'm tired of watching these guys showboat when they score. Act like you've been there.
Amen. Watch Dallas Clark -- the guy scores and jogs off the field like it's no big deal.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #68
ashvirtually
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Did anyone else who saw Desean Jackson backstep into the endzone and do a Broadway show, wonder quietly "and Fred Davis got a penalty for what?"
Yeah, I saw that and I was like, WTF, no penalty and yet Davis got one for less?!
ashvirtually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #69
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Orakpo.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #70
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
If the officials could be as consistent as the Cowgirls losing in December we'd have better games.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #71
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
If the officials could be as consistent as the Cowgirls losing in December we'd have better games.
LMAO perfect!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #72
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:

ALERT: THIS IS HEARSAY INFO. I AM JUST PASSING IT ALONG...

A friend tells me that Fred Davis flashed what the officials took to be a "gang sign" in his celebration and that brought out the flag.

1. I did not see that.

2. I probably would not recognize a "gang sign" if it bit me on my butt.

3. There has been no league explanation to confirm or deny this assertion.

END HEARSAY ALERT...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #73
calia
Playmaker

The O-line was weak (but JC handled the pressure well, and showed some toughness), but otherwise, it was a pretty complete game by the Redskins, and we FINALLY really put it to another team. When was the last time that happened? I literally cannot recall.

There were a few sacks of JC where the defender came through untouched. Sometimes, you call that when it's a screen or a shuttle pass or something, but those weren't the calls on those sacks. JC could have been knocked out. The O-line really has to develop more consistency -- too many breakdowns.

I for one would like to see someone outside of DC recognize the Skins' improvement. They haven't been blown out by anyone this year, and even some of the horrid early games (Chiefs, Lions, Panthers) that they lost could have been won had a few plays gone differently, and that is certainly true of some of the more recent losses (Dallas, Eagles, Saints). It's both frustrating and encouraging to see this team play -- if they can maintain this trajectory, look for them to be a rebound team with 10+ wins next season.
calia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #74
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post

A friend tells me that Fred Davis flashed what the officials took to be a "gang sign" in his celebration and that brought out the flag.

1. I did not see that.

END HEARSAY ALERT...
According to Davis the refs thought he was flipping off the crowd.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #75
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post

1. I did not see that.

END HEARSAY ALERT...
I can confirm that I saw what they flagged him for was a hand gesture. There's nothing explicit in the rule book that would suggest that anything he did should be flagged, but he left himself open to such interpretation with excessive celebration.

The officials didn't see very much in general all game, so I'm not too worried about him needing an "attitude adjustment."