Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Joe Gibbs Motivational Speaker For Dallas Cowboys

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #61
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
A man of faith gives his testimony and catches crap for it because of who he gave it to. Well damn...they ought to hang the bastard. Ain't like he's ever done anything for us.
That is such an over the top irrational spin to put on this. Nobody is saying anything like that. Not even close. Not sure why it is so surprising that some Redskins fans might find it peculiar that Joe Gibbs was in Dallas sharing his thoughts with Dallas Cowboy players the day before a game??? Peculiar not criminal, but peculiar.
Edit: I dont know if you are a man of faith, but if you had happened to be in Texas that day and popped into the chapel for a little reaffirming of the faith would you have expected to see Coach Gibbs at the podium?? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #62
Skinzman
The Starter

Re: Joe Gibbs Motivational Speaker For Dallas Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
That is such an over the top irrational spin to put on this. Nobody is saying anything like that. Not even close. Not sure why it is so surprising that some Redskins fans might find it peculiar that Joe Gibbs was in Dallas sharing his thoughts with Dallas Cowboy players the day before a game??? Peculiar not criminal, but peculiar.
Edit: I dont know if you are a man of faith, but if you had happened to be in Texas that day and popped into the chapel for a little reaffirming of the faith would you have expected to see Coach Gibbs at the podium?? Lol.

Joe Gibbs wasnt in Dallas. He was at home... In N. Carolina, where his NASCAR team is based. The girls came to N. Carolina to play the Carolina Panthers.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #63
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
Joe Gibbs wasnt in Dallas. He was at home... In N. Carolina, where his NASCAR team is based. The girls came to N. Carolina to play the Carolina Panthers.
My bad. Wrong place. Same principal.

Edit: i only watch an occasionsl race because years ago i saw Stewart on ESPN in a skins helmet. I still root for Stewart though not Gibbs. Dont follow the sport close enough to know who is on Gibbs team anymore.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #64
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Five pages so far about a guy, who no longer is in the NFL, giving a speech to a team in his home town, the night before a game. SMH

Where the **** is Allen Iverson at when you need him?
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #65
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Five pages so far about a guy, who no longer is in the NFL, giving a speech to a team in his home town, the night before a game. SMH

All threads deserve a life. It is Joe Gibbs and the Cowboys though. Like i said its Bucky Dent and the Redsox or Larry Bird and the Lakers. Its definitely news worthy because of the subjects involved. Why the Iverson reference? Lol.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #66
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post

A speech... A speech... We arent talking about a game, we are talking about a speech... Not a game... A speech...
Old 10-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #67
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinzman View Post
A speech... A speech... We arent talking about a game, we are talking about a speech... Not a game... A speech...
Ahhh my second favorite sound bite behind "playoffs? Playoffs? You wanna talk about playoffs?"

All joking aside - if it was any other team this would not be threadworthy but you cant overlook the participants.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #68
44Deezel
The Starter

No problem with this. His coaching days are well behind him. I equate this to Clinton and Bush Sr. working together after the Tsunami. Big whoop.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #69
Skinzman
The Starter

Quote:
Ahhh my second favorite sound bite behind "playoffs? Playoffs? You wanna talk about playoffs?"

All joking aside - if it was any other team this would not be threadworthy but you cant overlook the participants.

He did this last week. Something tells me that if his talk was to the Giants, people would be jumping off of bridges and burning Joe Gibbs stuff like Cleveland did when LeBron left.

Personally I dont have a problem with it. I would expect any religious person to be willing to talk about their faith anytime and anywhere, which does include trials and tribulations of their personal lives (making clock mistakes that possibly cost a game). They struggled to beat Carolina by 5, its not like he turned them into world beaters.

If someone from Dallas was asked to speak to the Skins about faith (not football), then I would expect them to do it (barring a legitimate previous engagement) or else I would more than willingly tell that person face to face that he makes his faith into a joke by prioritizing football over his faith.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #70
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

The way i see it, it's a complement to have your nemesis seek the man who kicked your ass for years to get seek his advice. That speaks volumes, it's an act of desperation and humility.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #71
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

I just want to be clear that all i am saying personally is it is strange. I agree with you all. It actually gives me goosebumps that Jones thinks that much of Gibbs. Also what was Gibbs supposed to do - say no?
To say its not threadworthy or "interesting in a bizzaro world way" is crazy.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #72
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
My bad. Wrong place. Same principal.

Edit: i only watch an occasionsl race because years ago i saw Stewart on ESPN in a skins helmet. I still root for Stewart though not Gibbs. Dont follow the sport close enough to know who is on Gibbs team anymore.
Well by all means don't let any of the facts get in the way. If Gibbs was coaching up the Cowgirls and giving them the rah rah let's go team then sure I would think that was odd. But from Gibbs own account that's not what happened is it? I don't find anything strange about a man as devoted to his faith as Joe Gibbs is sharing his testimony with anyone. This wasn't about football even though he may have used a football story to relate to uhhhhh....football players? So no....I don't find it strange that Gibbs would accept an opportunity to speak to a team that came to town about his faith. He even said he was a Redskin he wasn't there to give them a pep talk. What's over the top is to try to make more of this than what it is.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #73
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Well by all means don't let any of the facts get in the way. If Gibbs was coaching up the Cowgirls and giving them the rah rah let's go team then sure I would think that was odd. But from Gibbs own account that's not what happened is it? I don't find anything strange about a man as devoted to his faith as Joe Gibbs is sharing his testimony with anyone. This wasn't about football even though he may have used a football story to relate to uhhhhh....football players? So no....I don't find it strange that Gibbs would accept an opportunity to speak to a team that came to town about his faith. He even said he was a Redskin he wasn't there to give them a pep talk. What's over the top is to try to make more of this than what it is.
First of all the place has nothing to do with it - it could have happened on Mars. Second of all who is trying to make more of it than it is. Its Frikkin Joe Frikkin Gibbs talkin to the Frikkin Dallas Cowboys. In my world that is bizzaro - not criminal - not blasphemy - not im gonna write off everything Gibbs ever did good for the Redskins.
Third of all you are making it sound like the Cowboys came to town on a pilgrimage. Lol. The Dallas Cowboys were here to play a football game and if there was no football game on Sun they arent in a chapel. There are plenty of priests in and around that city that could talk to Dallas about God that are alot more qualified to do so than Joe Gibbs. It had everything to do with Football and if you read what he said he talked about football and specific moments in games where he made mistakes but u have to overcome those mistakes. Mentally challenging the Dallas Cowboys to keep the faith on SUNDAY and everyday. Was he shouting - now go beat those Panthers- of course not, but make no bones about it this was in some way shape or form a spiritually uplifting pep talk the day before a game. If you are going to try and tell me that Jerry Jones just wanted his players to be quoted the scripture by Father Gibbs and it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact there was a game the next day well no - just no. And I have pointed out the fact that Gibbs is the type of person that i dont think would say no. Ultimately i have no problem with him obliging jerry jones request to speak to the team.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #74
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

To simplify, I think its weird Gibbs was preaching to the Boys. If you dont than you dont and thats fine too.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #75
MTK
\m/

ugh