JGR: Stewart Wrecks #11 Denny Hamlin

Other Sports

Old 07-09-2007, 11:38 PM   #61
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: JGR: Stewart Wrecks #11 Denny Hamlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
OK, I have a NASCAR question, but don't want to start an entirely new thread for it.
I don't get the connection between Busch series and Nextel Cup series. I always thought of it as "Minor and Major" league. (Nextel being the major league) So how is it the Nextel guys can drive in the Busch series? They seem to pick and choose, and on any given event, there can be up to half of the Busch series chalk full of Nextel drivers?
Does anyone know how this works?
Yeah, the two top series in NASCAR are the NASCAR Nextel Cup (Sprint Cup effective Jan. 1, '08) and the NASCAR Busch Series (new name TBD). The NASCAR Busch Series, which we'll call NBS for the rest of this post, was orginally created some fifty years ago to focus primarily on the short tracks and serve as a "training ground" for up and coming drivers. Over time though, more superspeedways became part of the NBS circuit.

NBS is also used as a training ground for NASCAR itself, to test out new technologies and rules for example.

So, back to the original question, a lot of Cup drivers use the NASCAR Busch Series races to a) test out a track before the Cup race the next day, b) appease a sponsor who might be based in the area for example, c) test out the car (though now the difference between Busch and Cup cars is much more pronounced)

Now it's a catch-22 because on the one hand you want to develop young drivers but on the other hand ticket sales and ratings are consideraby impacted by Cup drivers participating in these races.

It's a constant source of discussion in meetings I am in as to what to do about it.

Advertisements
Old 07-09-2007, 11:44 PM   #62
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Yeah, the two top series in NASCAR are the NASCAR Nextel Cup (Sprint Cup effective Jan. 1, '08) and the NASCAR Busch Series (new name TBD). The NASCAR Busch Series, which we'll call NBS for the rest of this post, was orginally created some fifty years ago to focus primarily on the short tracks and serve as a "training ground" for up and coming drivers. Over time though, more superspeedways became part of the NBS circuit.

NBS is also used as a training ground for NASCAR itself, to test out new technologies and rules for example.

So, back to the original question, a lot of Cup drivers use the NASCAR Busch Series races to a) test out a track before the Cup race the next day, b) appease a sponsor who might be based in the area for example, c) test out the car (though now the difference between Busch and Cup cars is much more pronounced)

Now it's a catch-22 because on the one hand you want to develop young drivers but on the other hand ticket sales and ratings are consideraby impacted by Cup drivers participating in these races.

It's a constant source of discussion in meetings I am in as to what to do about it.
Wow...that's a great answer! Now if we can only get you away from being a Stewart fan!
See, I did understand it (sort of), it just didn't make sense...sure enough, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense other than for $$$$
Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #63
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Have you ever known Gibbs to not be diplomatic?
I would wager behind closed doors gibbs got pissed that Tony drove so wreckless. How can you blame a guy that got hit from behind. Watch the video again, it's not like Hamlin slammed on the breaks...if he did I would see you point. Stewart kept closing on him...closing on him...closing on him. He had more than ample time to pass him, or slow up...but he rammed him. I'm sorry buddy, but this is black and white evidence on the tv. It's not even 1% Hamlin's fault. It's 100% Stewart's fault. Even in the real world, if you hit someone from behind, it's YOUR FAULT...no questions asked.
I asked NASCAR and some guys from JGR about it this morning and basically was told that they know when "Tony is just being Tony."

They said TS was emotional and frustrated and that they would just move on. Everyone in that garage knows there was no malicious intent. Tony and Denny will work it out on their own (if they haven't already) and things will be fine
Old 07-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #64
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallass-blows 2 View Post
look i dont watch a lot of racing. hardly any actually but i saw the highlights of this race and Denny totally slowed down in front of stewart. not even close to being stewarts fault at all!

YouTube - 2007 Pepsi 400: Hamlin/Stewart Crash
HAHAHA...so you were watching the southpark episodes instead of that little youtube section then? You must have, because it clearly shows Stewart getting closer and closer and closer and closer to hamlin, and instead of slowing down or passing...he rammed him. 110% Stewarts fault...anyone who says otherwise is clearly a Stewart fan...open and shut case here boys.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #65
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
HAHAHA...so you were watching the southpark episodes instead of that little youtube section then? You must have, because it clearly shows Stewart getting closer and closer and closer and closer to hamlin, and instead of slowing down or passing...he rammed him. 110% Stewarts fault...anyone who says otherwise is clearly a Stewart fan...open and shut case here boys.
Now I'm not saying this is the case here. But as a NASCAR fun you should know that sometimes a bump is a good thing. Just keep that in mind when watching race's in general
Old 07-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #66
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
I asked NASCAR and some guys from JGR about it this morning and basically was told that they know when "Tony is just being Tony."

They said TS was emotional and frustrated and that they would just move on. Everyone in that garage knows there was no malicious intent. Tony and Denny will work it out on their own (if they haven't already) and things will be fine
Hell, I don't think there was malicious intent...just Stewart not paying attention, or not being talented enough to see what was in front of him and react to it (which he had more than ample amount of time to do).
It's just a shame that someone as classless as Stewart works for someone with as much class as Gibbs.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #67
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Now I'm not saying this is the case here. But as a NASCAR fun you should know that sometimes a bump is a good thing. Just keep that in mind when watching race's in general

I'll give you that. But it was a very, very hard bump, and it was at the apex of the corner. Even 10 year old dirt track drivers know not to do that. Even if that was on a straight away it would have still not been good.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #68
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Hell, I don't think there was malicious intent...just Stewart not paying attention, or not being talented enough to see what was in front of him and react to it (which he had more than ample amount of time to do).
It's just a shame that someone as classless as Stewart works for someone with as much class as Gibbs.
Don't confuse being emotional after a wreck with being classless.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #69
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Don't confuse being emotional after a wreck with being classless.
I think they are one in the same when it's your own teammate. He should have taken the high road on the track and off of it.
If (let's say) Randel El was to go on TV and publicly say Campbell sucked, we'd all call for his head. But for some reason, Stewart calls out his teammate and not much has been said about it.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:54 AM   #70
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I think they are one in the same when it's your own teammate. He should have taken the high road on the track and off of it.
If (let's say) Randel El was to go on TV and publicly say Campbell sucked, we'd all call for his head. But for some reason, Stewart calls out his teammate and not much has been said about it.
Not much has been said about it? Everyone is pissing all over him.

All I can tell you is Stewart is a great guy 95% of the time. Maybe next time I'll take a camera and a mic so you can hear some of the things guys like Hamlin say when the cameras not rolling.

Anyway, I don't think we'll ever come to an agreement on this. But that's cool. Debate is healthy
Old 07-10-2007, 01:04 AM   #71
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Not much has been said about it? Everyone is pissing all over him.
I wasn't referring to here.

Quote:
All I can tell you is Stewart is a great guy 95% of the time. Maybe next time I'll take a camera and a mic so you can hear some of the things guys like Hamlin say when the cameras not rolling.
I honestly believe you. Like I said, it's not about him the person. Even great guys skrew up. You know what's funny...if it was me, I wouldn't have called out my teammate first of all, but if I did, I would publicly apologize for calling him out AND wrecking him, even if I didn't believe it, cause that's what teammates do! They cover each other.

Quote:
Anyway, I don't think we'll ever come to an agreement on this. But that's cool. Debate is healthy
You're right. I think he's wreckless, and you don't. Fundamental differences...but it's fun none the less!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:10 AM   #72
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

You guys see what Jsarno and I are doing here? We're arguing our cases like adults. Granted it's not the most in-depth argument but we're doing it like grown people.

There's no name calling. No bitching and crying. Pretty wild isn't it?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:12 AM   #73
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
You guys see what Jsarno and I are doing here? We're arguing our cases like adults. Granted it's not the most in-depth argument but we're doing it like grown people.

There's no name calling. No bitching and crying. Pretty wild isn't it?
I guess you just need a bunch more members like me

Maybe I should be a mod. hmmmmm.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:17 AM   #74
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
I guess you just need a bunch more members like me

Maybe I should be a mod. hmmmmm.
Hahahahaha
Old 07-10-2007, 01:28 AM   #75
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Hahahahaha

HAHA, you laughed just a little too hard at that.