MAD about Mad Men

Parking Lot

Old 10-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #61
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Re: MAD about Mad Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I will have to say a pretty hum drum season finale.
Really? I loved it.
The way the whole season led up to the moment in Don's apartment after getting back from California (don't want to spoil it for anyone who isn't caught up even though they shouldn't be reading this thread). And everyone's reaction to the news, especially Peggy's was so perfect. The partners looked confused but not all that shocked and Peggy was just seething with jealously or envy or something I can't quite put my finger on. Also, the conversation with Joan and Peggy was fantastic, followed by the foreshadowing conversation Joan had with her husband.

Then obviously there's all the Betty stuff. First with Carla, then with the way she was basically throwing herself at Don until he told her his big news. I think she could end up in the nut house by the end of next season.

Personally, this might have been my favorite season and I'm amazed how this show can keep surprising me.

Advertisements
Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #62
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Haven't seen the finale yet, though I've heard what happens and I'm kind of whatever about it.

Last year's finale though was amazing, one of the best hours of television I've seen in a long time. Last year's finale made sense but I'm not sure where they're going with this one.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #63
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Really? I loved it.
The way the whole season led up to the moment in Don's apartment after getting back from California (don't want to spoil it for anyone who isn't caught up even though they shouldn't be reading this thread). And everyone's reaction to the news, especially Peggy's was so perfect. The partners looked confused but not all that shocked and Peggy was just seething with jealously or envy or something I can't quite put my finger on. Also, the conversation with Joan and Peggy was fantastic, followed by the foreshadowing conversation Joan had with her husband.

Then obviously there's all the Betty stuff. First with Carla, then with the way she was basically throwing herself at Don until he told her his big news. I think she could end up in the nut house by the end of next season.

Personally, this might have been my favorite season and I'm amazed how this show can keep surprising me.
Maybe I was just hoping to find out who shoot JR.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #64
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Why do you say "the whole season led up to the moment in Don's apartment"? I am not sure what moment you are referring to or how the whole season led up to it. To me, in some ways, Don's action seemed to invalidate much of what went on during the season (rather than dealing with his past, isn't he now back where he was with Betty?).

As for Betty, 10 to 1 we start off next season with her divorced from Henry. Not sure where they are going with her character seems to me to be heading for a dead end.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #65
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Why do you say "the whole season led up to the moment in Don's apartment"? I am not sure what moment you are referring to or how the whole season led up to it. To me, in some ways, Don's action seemed to invalidate much of what went on during the season (rather than dealing with his past, isn't he now back where he was with Betty?).

As for Betty, 10 to 1 we start off next season with her divorced from Henry. Not sure where they are going with her character seems to me to be heading for a dead end.

I agree with you Joe that scene was a blind side for the viewers, the office and even his secretary. How did the whole season lead up to that?
Old 10-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #66
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I agree with you Joe that scene was a blind side for the viewers, the office and even his secretary. How did the whole season lead up to that?
Well there were a couple of hints about the secretary earlier in the season, but still...
Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #67
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

F it, spoilers below.

I don't really mean to say that someone could have easily guessed that Don was going to propose to Megan early on in the season, but I mean that there were so many little things throughout the season that lead to them being together. Hell, Don even said as much this past week.

First you have Don hitting bottom, sleeping with hookers and eventually with Allison, his old secretary, and that leads to him getting stuck with Ms Blankenship. Then of course she dies so Megan moves from being the pretty face at the front desk of SCDP to taking over Don's desk. That same day he sees Megan comfort Sally when she falls the in office, something Betty would never do and Dr. Faye would like to do but probably wouldn't since she didn't think she was good with kids. Eventually Don and Megan hookup and even though she says its just a one time thing you know that its going to lead to something later down the road.
Later, Don wants to take the kids to California with him while he signs the paperwork to sell Anna's house but since Betty impulsively fires Carla he takes Megan as a babysitter. Anna only wanted Don to be happy and leave's him the ring the real Don gave her.
The ring coupled with the fact that he thinks Megan can be a caring, loving influence in his kids' (especially Sally) lives, causes Don to ask Megan to marry him.
If this whole season has been about Don hitting rock bottom and trying to drag himself back up, then I think in his mind Megan represents the kind of change he wants to make. He thinks she's going to help him become a better man, whether or not he's right remains to be seen.
Yes it was a blindside to everyone, because Don is never predictable, but the clues were there throughout the season. Hell, early on Faye even guessed that Don would be married by the end of the year.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #68
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well there were a couple of hints about the secretary earlier in the season, but still...

What their one lay and she was nice to Sally for 10 minutes? I guess so but seems like a giant leap to me.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #69
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
F it, spoilers below.

I don't really mean to say that someone could have easily guessed that Don was going to propose to Megan early on in the season, but I mean that there were so many little things throughout the season that lead to them being together. Hell, Don even said as much this past week.

First you have Don hitting bottom, sleeping with hookers and eventually with Allison, his old secretary, and that leads to him getting stuck with Ms Blankenship. Then of course she dies so Megan moves from being the pretty face at the front desk of SCDP to taking over Don's desk. That same day he sees Megan comfort Sally when she falls the in office, something Betty would never do and Dr. Faye would like to do but probably wouldn't since she didn't think she was good with kids. Eventually Don and Megan hookup and even though she says its just a one time thing you know that its going to lead to something later down the road.
Later, Don wants to take the kids to California with him while he signs the paperwork to sell Anna's house but since Betty impulsively fires Carla he takes Megan as a babysitter. Anna only wanted Don to be happy and leave's him the ring the real Don gave her.
The ring coupled with the fact that he thinks Megan can be a caring, loving influence in his kids' (especially Sally) lives, causes Don to ask Megan to marry him.
If this whole season has been about Don hitting rock bottom and trying to drag himself back up, then I think in his mind Megan represents the kind of change he wants to make. He thinks she's going to help him become a better man, whether or not he's right remains to be seen.
Yes it was a blindside to everyone, because Don is never predictable, but the clues were there throughout the season. Hell, early on Faye even guessed that Don would be married by the end of the year.

Fair enough. I still rank this as the worst season, not that it was a bad one put it was not as good as the last 3. I think season 3 was the best so far, IMO.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #70
saden1
MVP

Quote:
F it, spoilers below.

Excellent summary. The way she handled the milkshake spill sealed the deal. Ugly Betty would have been screaming her lungs out at the kids. It's looking more and more like Betty's world is gonna fall apart.

Peggy reaction was priceless....I'm curious if deep down she has feelings for Don or it could just be she admire him so much that she expected more from him.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #71
JoeRedskin

I get the whole gradually having Megan come up. BUT - in a way, it invalidates much of the season. Don has been grappling with revealing his real past and moving past it. He recognized, on some level, that it was destructive to both his professional and personal lives. Now, instead of confronting it and resolving it going forward, he seems to casually cast the long struggle aside and put himself back in a relationship based on a lie.

Will he tell Megan? Will Megan find out? Will she feel betrayed? etc. Aren't these the exact same questions we had with Betty two seasons ago?

Don't get me wrong, thought it was a good episode but, in some ways, the marrriage to Megan is a little too convenient.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #72
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Excellent summary. The way she handled the milkshake spill sealed the deal. Ugly Betty would have been screaming her lungs out at the kids. It's looking more and more like Betty's world is gonna fall apart.

Peggy reaction was priceless....I'm curious if deep down she has feelings for Don or it could just be she admire him so much that she expected more from him.
I thought that was hilarious - everyone at the table just froze in fear and she was just like "What's the big deal?"
Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #73
JoeRedskin

The light dawns on Henry - "No one's ever on your side Betty".
Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #74
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
The light dawns on Henry - "No one's ever on your side Betty".

I thought that too!!!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #75
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Starting tomorrow, first four seasons of Mad Men available for instant streaming on Netflix