Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #61
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Big Ben off the hook again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Can't they at least memorize a prepared statement. It seems so fake when they read it off a card. Certainly he would have had time to prepare.
lol dude couldn't even string together 2 statements without having to read

Advertisements
Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #62
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

A bit harsh. He is an athlete not an orator.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 AM   #63
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket$ $traight View Post
He looks like a two time Super Bowl winner to me.
well that he is. the guy can ball but he's been accused twice of sexual assualts. where there is smoke there is fire.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #64
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
A bit harsh. He is an athlete not an orator.
Bro I had to recite the Gettysburg address in 3rd grade. In high school I had to give 10 minute presentations without notes. You don't have to be an orator to actually be able to speak in a smooth fashion, especially when it's a prepared statement. You went to UVA right? I'd expect you to understand.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 AM   #65
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Bro I had to recite the Gettysburg address in 3rd grade. In high school I had to give 10 minute presentations without notes. You don't have to be an orator to actually be able to speak in a smooth fashion, especially when it's a prepared statement. You went to UVA right? I'd expect you to understand.
While you recited four score and seven years ago, Big Ben was scoring with cheerleaders.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #66
warpaint
The Starter

Quote:
While you recited four score and seven years ago, Big Ben was scoring with cheerleaders.
Forcibly.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #67
warpaint
The Starter

Terry Bradshaws comments on Ben. I've never really heard T.Bradshaw speak about any one like this which caught me off gaurd. Bradshaw is always joking around and just shooting the shit. He says Ben got pissed at him when he was just trying to give some advice. Kind of intresting.

Terry Bradshaw On Ben Roethlisberger - ESPN Video - ESPN
Old 04-13-2010, 01:57 AM   #68
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
when he was in 4th grade? haha

and LOL @ warpaint's reply
Old 04-13-2010, 02:01 AM   #69
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

haha yeah checked that out earlier
Old 04-13-2010, 02:36 AM   #70
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Can't they at least memorize a prepared statement. It seems so fake when they read it off a card. Certainly he would have had time to prepare.
Well I'm sure his lawyer told him to do so, so he doesn't say anything incriminating in the event of a civil lawsuit and whatnot. Still though, you're right, it looks fake and tacky when they read from a piece of paper.
R.I.P. #21
Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #71
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Well I'm sure his lawyer told him to do so, so he doesn't say anything incriminating in the event of a civil lawsuit and whatnot. Still though, you're right, it looks fake and tacky when they read from a piece of paper.

Well Ben is obvously smarter than Gilbert Arenas. In this situation you do exactly what your attorney tells you to.

What is apparent to me is that this situation is a 180 compared to the tramp out west. Ben has been playing defense the whole time in this case which makes me think that the situation was questionable at best if not criminal.

Either way, Big Ben is lucky and better have learned his lesson because if this happens again he will probably go to jail.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #72
Monkeydad
Living Legend

He's meeting with Goodell today and if he doesn't get a minimum 4, preferablly 6 or 8-game suspension, the league and its personal conduct policies are a joke. Other players have been suspended for lesser offenses that were also not prosecuted.

Even if he's right and she REALLY DID just fall down in that 5-foot by 5-foot bathroom that he followed he into and had buddies guard the door...don't you think she'd bruise an elbow or knee...not her vagina? Regardless of the matter of consent, she was drunk and under the drinking age in most states...he had no reason to behave the way he did. He is supposed to be a professional and that doesn't only apply for 3 hours every Sunday. He's brought horrible press upon the league and especially the Steelers. I doubt he'll even recognize that trading Holmes was a message to him. This wasn't his first or even second chance to act like a civilized human being and professional representative of his team...he has a long track record of bad judgment if not more.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #73
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
He's meeting with Goodell today and if he doesn't get a minimum 4, preferablly 6 or 8-game suspension, the league and its personal conduct policies are a joke. Other players have been suspended for lesser offenses that were also not prosecuted.

Even if he's right and she REALLY DID just fall down in that 5-foot by 5-foot bathroom that he followed he into and had buddies guard the door...don't you think she'd bruise an elbow or knee...not her vagina? Regardless of the matter of consent, she was drunk and under the drinking age in most states...he had no reason to behave the way he did. He is supposed to be a professional and that doesn't only apply for 3 hours every Sunday. He's brought horrible press upon the league and especially the Steelers. I doubt he'll even recognize that trading Holmes was a message to him. This wasn't his first or even second chance to act like a civilized human being and professional representative of his team...he has a long track record of bad judgment if not more.

Honestly it isn't our job or Goodell's job to decide why the girl had a bruise on her vagina. While I have seen a vagina or two in my day, I would never speculate on a subject like this.

Based on how Goodell has dealt with other players, I think he has to suspend Ben but, personally, I think this suspending players when they haven't been convicted of anything is a slippery slope.

I see a player suing the league in the near future over one of these suspensions because it seems that Goodell's process is very arbitrary. Who is policing Goodell? What is his criteria? What gives Goodell the right to decide that people who have been convicted of no crime cannot work?

Certainly, to date, it seems like black players are being treated differently than the white players.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:11 AM   #74
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Honestly it isn't our job or Goodell's job to decide why the girl had a bruise on her vagina. While I have seen a vagina or two in my day, I would never speculate on a subject like this.

Based on how Goodell has dealt with other players, I think he has to suspend Ben but, personally, I think this suspending players when they haven't been convicted of anything is a slippery slope.

I see a player suing the league in the near future over one of these suspensions because it seems that Goodell's process is very arbitrary. Who is policing Goodell? What is his criteria? What gives Goodell the right to decide that people who have been convicted of no crime cannot work?

Certainly, to date, it seems like black players are being treated differently than the white players.
You're could be right to an extent, but there is also the fact that can't be denied that there have been less "issues" with the law among white players, just looking at an incident per capita-type figure. I'm not making any judgements, just throwing out a stat. We can't condemn the Commissioner just because there were fewer incidents to deal with when applying a certain criteria like race. However, if that perception exists, here's his opportunity to squash it.

With that said, Goodell doesn't need to get into any of the dirty details of Ben's incidents. His maturity level, personal conduct and bad image he's creating for the league and his team is enough to hand out a punishment with the intentions of putting a stop to these behaviors before they go to far legally and otherwise.

Chris Henry and Pacman Jones were suspended when not convicted. Roethlisberger is starting to get a track record of repeat offender just as they are. As the QB, the most prominent position on the team, he needs to be held to a higher standard just due to his public visibility. He needs to realize this and if necessary, taught the lesson.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #75
Pocket$ $traight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
You're could be right to an extent, but there is also the fact that can't be denied that there have been less "issues" with the law among white players, just looking at an incident per capita-type figure. I'm not making any judgements, just throwing out a stat. We can't condemn the Commissioner just because there were fewer incidents to deal with when applying a certain criteria like race. However, if that perception exists, here's his opportunity to squash it.

With that said, Goodell doesn't need to get into any of the dirty details of Ben's incidents. His maturity level, personal conduct and bad image he's creating for the league and his team is enough to hand out a punishment with the intentions of putting a stop to these behaviors before they go to far legally and otherwise.

Chris Henry and Pacman Jones were suspended when not convicted. Roethlisberger is starting to get a track record of repeat offender just as they are. As the QB, the most prominent position on the team, he needs to be held to a higher standard just due to his public visibility. He needs to realize this and if necessary, taught the lesson.

See this is where I think Goodell is on questionable ground. You are calling Big Ben a repeat offender but he hasn't been arrested for either case. Suspending players for bad press? That sounds like a softball for an attorney if you ask me. I think there is a big difference when someone is arrested over and over again and not convicted as opposed to just being accused.

I think it is a very bad precedent to suspend players on accusations alone. I know this last case smells but what is next, you suspend players for staring too long at the cheerleaders?
Closed Thread