Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Donovan McNabb: The New Face of The Redskins

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #61
Pocket$ $traight

Re: Donovan McNabb: The New Face of The Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
So why did Reid say that McNabb had to agree on the team they wanted to trade with? He said this in his presser Sun. night.
McNabb refused to meet with anybody but Washington signaling that he would not sign an extension with just anybody. The other interested teams did not want to give the picks away for a one year rental of McNabb.

B Mitch said that if McNabb was traded to Oakland, he might have retired instead of playing for them.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #62
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpaint View Post
You guys might not want him to be the face for the team, but I bet the front office will do all they can to make him the face for the team, love it or hate it, its pretty much a done deal.

Here is a good question so is the face of the team and dont say Shanny, because there is hardly ever a coach thats a face for certain team.
I'm not sure who the face of the team is or should be. It's kinda changed over time, we have had Lavar, Portis, Moss, and Taylor. Orakpo is not bad. If Thomas, Kelly, and Mitchell can get their act together maybe them. Perhaps Cooley or Davis or both. Perhaps Fletcher? I just don't see Hall as that person yet and Rodgers keeps shooting himself in the foot running his mouth. Maybe Landry if he's not traded?

I could see either the 3 WR's or the 2 TE's. Those are my picks. To me McNabb will not be the face and I'll be pissed if the team presents him as that. Just let him play and if he does well and the team is 90% better because of him then let the fan base decide. Just don't push it on me.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #63
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
We gave them #37 and a 3rd or 4th next year. I call that idiotic. Not only did we draft IMO, an over rated 33 year old QB with a very high 2nd this year, we're drafting a 34 year old over rated QB with our 3rd or 4th next year. And one more thing. I would hardly call throwing draft picks at a 33 year old QB prudence and patience.
Interestingly enough, many Philly fans (including his most ardent detractors) think they gave away D-Mac for way too little. Funny how perspective swings with fence sides haha.

Seriously though, if we're not in the NFC East I think we don't have to throw in next year's pick. Call it a premium to get a division rival's franchise QB... this type of trade rarely happens. You've gotta remember that the Eagle's FO knows they're helping a division foe get stronger; considering division is everything, you've got to sweeten the pot a bit. I think we came out just fine.

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:05 AM   #64
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post

Obviously our views on McNabb's ability differ. However what I see is a team that just went from having the worst QB in the division to having the best in the division and at the same time taking him away from a division rival.

I see a league were Kurt Warner revived his career at 36 years old and Brett Farve had his best season at 40. QB now more then ever is a mental position where while your physical skills may diminish, your ability to read and dissect defenses will be worth the trade off. And all this for a second round pick. Tell me would you have been happy if we just traded Rocky McIntosh for McNabb? I know we shouldn't give away all of our draft picks and we need to build through the draft but a second rounder for a guy like McNabb is insane if you ask me.
There is no doubt about that Dirtbag. Kurt Warner was the QB for the "Greatest Show on Turf." He QBed three teams to SB's and won 1. He is an amazing story. Has Brett Favre EVER missed a game because of injury? He also led 3 teams to SB's and won 1. I don't put McNabb in that category. And unfortunately we didn't just trade a 2nd rounder for him even though that seemed to be all they were asking, we also threw in a 3rd or 4th next year. It's funny how we talk about how important it is to keep our picks...until we decide it isn't.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:10 AM   #65
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
Interestingly enough, many Philly fans (including his most ardent detractors) think they gave away D-Mac for way too little. Funny how perspective swings with fence sides haha.

Seriously though, if we're not in the NFC East I think we don't have to throw in next year's pick. Call it a premium to get a division rival's franchise QB... this type of trade rarely happens. You've gotta remember that the Eagle's FO knows they're helping a division foe get stronger; considering division is everything, you've got to sweeten the pot a bit. I think we came out just fine.
It's even funnier a day earlier cause most Eagle fans were happy about the trade and said they would have taken less just to get rid of McNabb. some even offered to back the truck up and move his ass. LOL.

It sounded today like half the fans would have taken anything and were no longer happy with him, and the other half just can't see McNabb in a Skins uni. I didn't hear any of them saying "we should have gotten more for him."
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:10 AM   #66
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post

Some of us are putting a pretty high value on JC. That's what fans do. Philly was in a bind with McNabb deciding he wouldn't sign with certain teams. I don't think next years picks were necessary.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:11 AM   #67
warpaint
The Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure who the face of the team is or should be. It's kinda changed over time, we have had Lavar, Portis, Moss, and Taylor. Orakpo is not bad. If Thomas, Kelly, and Mitchell can get their act together maybe them. Perhaps Cooley or Davis or both. Perhaps Fletcher? I just don't see Hall as that person yet and Rodgers keeps shooting himself in the foot running his mouth. Maybe Landry if he's not traded?

I could see either the 3 WR's or the 2 TE's. Those are my picks. To me McNabb will not be the face and I'll be pissed if the team presents him as that. Just let him play and if he does well and the team is 90% better because of him then let the fan base decide. Just don't push it on me.
I'm not trying to push anything, McNabb is not who I want as our poster boy.It's a shame we've got THE 100 MILLION DOLLAR MAN and noone has even consider throwing his name in the ring as the face for the team.

Cooley, Moss, Orakpo, maybe Flether they are the only ones I can give my seal of approval on.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:12 AM   #68
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Some of us are putting a pretty high value on JC. That's what fans do. Philly was in a bind with McNabb deciding he wouldn't sign with certain teams. I don't think next years picks were necessary.
Thats something we can agree with. Lol, I saw the Bills message board and someone thought we would trade JC for a 5th round pick and a 32 year old linebacker that didn't even play last year.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #69
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Thats something we can agree with. Lol, I saw the Bills message board and someone thought we would trade JC for a 5th round pick and a 32 year old linebacker that didn't even play last year.
Geez... Wait a minute...was it Marcus?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #70
warpaint
The Starter

[QUOTE=53Fan;683887]Some of us are putting a pretty high value on JC. That's what fans do. Philly was in a bind with McNabb deciding he wouldn't sign with certain teams. I don't think next years picks were necessary.[/QUOTE]

Hell we might have a strike next year so it might not make a diffrence. I dont want a strike but what does a strike do for next years draft(honest question)?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #71
53Fan
Franchise Player

[quote=warpaint;683892]
Quote:
Some of us are putting a pretty high value on JC. That's what fans do. Philly was in a bind with McNabb deciding he wouldn't sign with certain teams. I don't think next years picks were necessary.[/QUOTE]

Hell we might have a strike next year so it might not make a diffrence. I dont want a strike but what does a strike do for next years draft(honest question)?
That's a good question. I honestly don't know right now but there are members who are very well versed in that sort of thing. I'm not one of them.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #72
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Geez... Wait a minute...was it Marcus?
Josh Stamer? Josh Stamer

He looks like a hockey player. Probably a grinder.

Edit: Never mind, he had 3 whole tackles last year.

Look I don't even mind the 5th round offer, it's very possible that might be the highest we can get, but don't act like you're sweetening the deal by adding a random player that wouldn't make it past training camp.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 04-06-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #73
itvnetop
Playmaker

Quote:

It sounded today like half the fans would have taken anything and were no longer happy with him, and the other half just can't see McNabb in a Skins uni. I didn't hear any of them saying "we should have gotten more for him."
Hmmm... I just took a look at a few forums today and I heard plenty of Eagles fans saying exactly that. My Eagles' buddy thinks we absolutely stole him.

Wingheads

If you read the entire thread, there's a few guys chiming in on the value they received- I didn't see one believing they got the better end of the deal (just a few anxious to see Kolb).

my blather
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:43 AM   #74
jdc65
Special Teams

I agree, this is a good trade, D-Mac should have at least 3 good years left, and he is a proven winner who will command Respect both on the field and off. Donovan is the new Face of the Franchise, and biggest sports star in DC. Shanahan will build the offense to McNabb's strengths, and surround him with experienced veterans. Big Mike is going for a Championship or two within the next 3 years. Then he will turn the team over to Kyle and re-start the building process. In my opinion, that is.
jdc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #75
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Part of me keeps waiting for the news report which announces that this was all a joke. That DMac is our QB, a face of our franchise, is still too surreal to embrace. I have a well-practiced habit of rooting for him to fumble or throw a pick every time that he touches the ball. This will take time to sink in.

At least it wasn't Romo.
I hear what you are saying, BUT, just think of the epileptic reaction of Cowboys fans. That actually made me smile
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote