Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Texas vs. Oklahoma: Scouting our next QB?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #61
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Texas vs. Oklahoma: Scouting our next QB?

My problems with Clausen are the same problems I had with Stafford. It's not that they're not NFL caliber players, it's that they're not great college decision makers and that their NFL upside is somewhere around what Jason Campbell already is, and if THIS organization goes down that road, it's going to end up exactly the same way.

Now, this appears to be a very deep class of college signal callers, and if you're willing to sit on a guy in the middle of the second round and pour your resources into the developmental end of the college QB equation, you can draft a guy who can take his lumps behind a young, improving OL. And if that guy is Clausen, good, I'm an ND fan, and he's an easy guy to root for. I think the main thing is to avoid the allure of a QB with a top ten pick, which we may or may not have.

You'd be better off with another safety.

Advertisements
Old 10-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #62
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't really know, quite honestly.
I'm going to go to the Bucknell game so I guess i'll get to see myself how good he really is.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #63
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
I'm going to go to the Bucknell game so I guess i'll get to see myself how good he really is.
Sweet. Looking forward to hearing your feedback
Old 10-19-2009, 06:23 PM   #64
PortimusPrime
Camp Scrub

Honestly, I'm not to keen on drafting another QB. What this team needs is a veteran player who can come in and lead this offense and do it well.

Having said that, gun to my head I'd have to go with Colt. As we've seen this year with Bradford, he seems very fragile. I'd hate to draft Bradford in the first round, pay a ton of money, then have him injured every season.

Colt, in my opinion, has the skills and talent needed at the NFL level and isn't just a glorified TE/RB behind a good O-Line. If we do decide to go the route of the rookie QB, I think he needs to sit on the bench for a year until we get this O-Line problem under control. Personally, I'd like to wait it out a year, draft some O-Line players and worry about the QB problem in next year's draft.
PortimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #65
WaldSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortimusPrime View Post
Honestly, I'm not to keen on drafting another QB. What this team needs is a veteran player who can come in and lead this offense and do it well.

Having said that, gun to my head I'd have to go with Colt. As we've seen this year with Bradford, he seems very fragile. I'd hate to draft Bradford in the first round, pay a ton of money, then have him injured every season.

Colt, in my opinion, has the skills and talent needed at the NFL level and isn't just a glorified TE/RB behind a good O-Line. If we do decide to go the route of the rookie QB, I think he needs to sit on the bench for a year until we get this O-Line problem under control. Personally, I'd like to wait it out a year, draft some O-Line players and worry about the QB problem in next year's draft.
1.) Which veteran do think is going to be available for us to bring in?

2.) I love the name, welcome to the warpath
Old 10-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #66
PortimusPrime
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
1.) Which veteran do think is going to be available for us to bring in?

2.) I love the name, welcome to the warpath
Thanks, I had an avatar to go with it but can't use custom ones to my knowledge.

Honestly, at this point I wouldn't be apposed to bringing Garcia in for the remainder of the year. Anything is better at this point.

You bring up a good point, the FA QB listings will probably be slim but I think we should look at other options before going to the rookie.

Last edited by PortimusPrime; 10-20-2009 at 02:38 AM.
PortimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #67
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Whats the deal with Bradford's injury? The way I've seen it described it's like his career is over. I mean it's great if we can draft him at around 8 but the way I see it is he just came back from a simple injury to fast and now he needs surgery to fix it. Still the guys are comparing him to Willis McGahee when he came out, talking about insurance policies and falling draft stock.

The funny thing is with situations like this is I've learned to split the difference when it comes to projecting these players draft projections. For example Andre Smith was considered a top 3 pick at one point. Then his workouts came and he was projected to be a late mid first round. Turns out he ends up as the 6th pick overall. So in short even if Bradford is projected to go late in the first right now I still believe that someone will draft him early. I'm obviously hoping that team is us at this point because like the guys on MNF said. Part of the reason we have trouble competing in the NFC East is a lack of stability at the QB position.

In the end we really need to find a way to fix both that, our O-Line, and in turn our running game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
My problems with Clausen are the same problems I had with Stafford. It's not that they're not NFL caliber players, it's that they're not great college decision makers and that their NFL upside is somewhere around what Jason Campbell already is, and if THIS organization goes down that road, it's going to end up exactly the same way.

Now, this appears to be a very deep class of college signal callers, and if you're willing to sit on a guy in the middle of the second round and pour your resources into the developmental end of the college QB equation, you can draft a guy who can take his lumps behind a young, improving OL. And if that guy is Clausen, good, I'm an ND fan, and he's an easy guy to root for. I think the main thing is to avoid the allure of a QB with a top ten pick, which we may or may not have.

You'd be better off with another safety.

I don't know why but I just don't like Clausen right now. He doesn't seem to have the down to earth personality that you see in the Big 3 right now (McCoy, Tebow, Bradford).

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #68
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

I'll say it again, eff a QB! That's all you're doing anyway by bringing one in here. Look at Ramsey. Look at Brunell. Soup is looking more and more like Brunell everyday. He limps around like Brunell. He has to throw balls away like Brunell. He can't run like Brunell. Do you guys detect a trend here? If you want to eff a perfectly good QB, draft one and put him behind this line.

"All we need is one QB and a good WR. That will take us to the promised land". Y'all sound like Al Snyderato.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #69
Big C
Mr. Brightside

colt mccoy will not be a good nfl qb. just dont think he translates well to a pro system. bradford is a better fit for one, but still not convinced about him in the pros either. as far as im concerned jimmy clausen is the best fit for a pro style offense though he wont come out. he and max hall. maybe lefevour
Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #70
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Hey SS can you change the name of this thread to, "Which New Punching Bag Do You Think Will Fit Behind the Skins' Maginot Line?"

Last edited by Trample the Elderly; 10-27-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #71
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
I'll say it again, eff a QB! That's all you're doing anyway by bringing one in here. Look at Ramsey. Look at Brunell. Soup is looking more and more like Brunell everyday. He limps around like Brunell. He has to throw balls away like Brunell. He can't run like Brunell. Do you guys detect a trend here? If you want to eff a perfectly good QB, draft one and put him behind this line.

"All we need is one QB and a good WR. That will take us to the promised land". Y'all sound like Al Snyderato.
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #72
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Smootsmack, do you know anything about how Clausen is off the field. For some reason I keep getting this vibe from him that I can only explain as the polar opposite of Matt Ryan. Maybe I'm wrong but for some reason I feel uneasy about him from a character standpoint. Let it be known that I have nothing to back this up.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 11-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #73
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post

yes yes yes yes, if we draft another qb before we get a new solid left tackle it just shows we are on the same path we have been on for a while which isn't a good one, sometimes you need to address your teams needs and not go after the sexy picks, like the texans did with wiliiams that worked out for them and now they have slayton

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #74
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
yes yes yes yes, if we draft another qb before we get a new solid left tackle it just shows we are on the same path we have been on for a while which isn't a good one, sometimes you need to address your teams needs and not go after the sexy picks, like the texans did with wiliiams that worked out for them and now they have slayton
The draft really should be about selecting BPA but you do that by either

A. Drafting well in previous years
or
B. Shoring up positions of need through free agency.

Last year we didn't do either of these and even though the signing of Derrick Dockery was a good start, we stopped there. As I've said before I've never opposed the drafting of Orakpo however the guys we drafted after Orakpo were more then enough to make my head spin. A CB, 2 LB's, a WR, and a FB. Vinny's willing to hedge his bets on pass catchers, DE's, and LB's but when it comes to OL he avoids them like the plague. Sure he shows up to their pro days but thats about as close as he comes to selecting offensive lineman.

I personally would be more then willing to take the Falcons approach in that we take the QB first and then either move up to take a first round tackle or at the very least wait and see whos there in the second. Of course we could even use that pick to pry away a young free agent who won't be available thanks to the current state of the CBA. Marcus McNeil comes to mind but I don't think you can pry him away with a 2nd round pick.

I know that I myself would be in heaven if we found a way to bring in a top 10 1st round QB, Marcus McNeil (LT,25), Jahari Evans (OG, 26), Jeremy Trueblood (RT, 26), and Kevin Mawae (C, 33). Of course at that point I might just be as guilty as our owner when it comes to competently building a team. Still I can dream.

- FRPLG
Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #75
mlmdub130
Playmaker

i am totally against the whole best player avail bs that everyone talks about basically with that you are saying if colt mccoy is available then the saints should draft him rather than a position they need, becuase he is the best player avail? don't think so, that rule only works when you have teams that are terrible and having one good player makes a splash but doesn't always work, like quinn, jackson, russell, just to name a few

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote