Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

P90x

Parking Lot

Old 02-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #61
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Re: P90x

I was in a minor accident and cant start p90x for about another month or so. Really pissed off about it, but ill postwhen i start to let everyone know about it

Advertisements
Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 PM   #62
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
That is my fear with p90x you do all that work then what? No one could live that lifestyle for very long. It is not a realistic for life program.
Weight loss and/or muscle building itself is more about diet then anything else, thats where people really need to make lifestyle changes. Aside from actual experience I can tell you that in looking at the numbers your best chance to loose weight is through eating right unless you're one of those people that can't gain weight no matter what in which case you need to start scoffing down pizzas and the like (dead serious) if you want to gain size.

You can't out work a big mac or a regular 400 calorie meal for the most part, I mean you could but it'd be hard to just burn 400 or 500 calories a day on exercise. It's much easier to just not eat 400 calories.

Also you need to eat the right kinds of foods. Eating foods with low GI ratings will assure that you get the nutrients you need on a calorie deficit and burn more calories due to the extra effort in digestion. Protein is really important to for keeping on muscle mass.

I think that the one thing people don't under stand is that exercises main attribute is NOT weight loss. Exercise does other things for you like improve endurance, sense of well being, muscle tone, heart health, and athletic performance. However for the most part it's far fetched to expect exercise to significantly contribute to weight loss, at least to the extent that eating right will help you. Probably the best thing you can do for yourself exercise wise is build muscle to prevent your metabolism from dropping to much on a calorie deficit. Also running for heart health isn't a bad idea either.

In terms of weight loss through exercise becomes much more important when you're getting near the single digits in terms of body fat and every calorie in and out truly starts to count.

In the end you have to think of it this way. The diet is the jackhammer, thats going to get rid of most of the fat (or build muscle if thats your goal). A program like P90X (which actually seems like a pretty good program) is more like a scalpel in that it will build muscle and sculpt your body so when you do loose the desired amount of fat you'll look better as opposed to just starving yourself (which you should never do by the way).

Sorry for the rant it's just that I kind of feel like this needed to be said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I've been using kettlebells for a few months now and I definitely recommend them. Killer workout, really improves your core strength and fast too.
I personally love kettlebells as a cardio hybrid. Much more fun and quicker then running on a treadmill for hours on end. On top of that it not only spares muscle but brings with it the potential to increase it.

They're probably pretty amazing to from an athletic perspective but I'm no longer an athlete. Wish I knew about them though when I was playing football.

Right now I workout with them in 5 minute increments with 40 seconds of work and 20 seconds of rest. Two sets of snatches (one left one right), one set of pull throughs, and two sets of cleans (one left one right).

Actually I would recommend a $50 or $70 kettlebell (heavier kettlebells cost more) before paying the $120 for P90X. I think you could get amazing results with just a kettlebell by itself so long as you're eating right for your bodytype.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #63
MTK
\m/

I haven't experienced anything that gets your heart rate up as quickly as with a KB. It's a great compact workout, about 20-25 minutes is all you really need.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #64
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Weight loss and/or muscle building itself is more about diet then anything else, thats where people really need to make lifestyle changes. Aside from actual experience I can tell you that in looking at the numbers your best chance to loose weight is through eating right unless you're one of those people that can't gain weight no matter what in which case you need to start scoffing down pizzas and the like (dead serious) if you want to gain size.

You can't out work a big mac or a regular 400 calorie meal for the most part, I mean you could but it'd be hard to just burn 400 or 500 calories a day on exercise. It's much easier to just not eat 400 calories.

Also you need to eat the right kinds of foods. Eating foods with low GI ratings will assure that you get the nutrients you need on a calorie deficit and burn more calories due to the extra effort in digestion. Protein is really important to for keeping on muscle mass.

I think that the one thing people don't under stand is that exercises main attribute is NOT weight loss. Exercise does other things for you like improve endurance, sense of well being, muscle tone, heart health, and athletic performance. However for the most part it's far fetched to expect exercise to significantly contribute to weight loss, at least to the extent that eating right will help you. Probably the best thing you can do for yourself exercise wise is build muscle to prevent your metabolism from dropping to much on a calorie deficit. Also running for heart health isn't a bad idea either.

In terms of weight loss through exercise becomes much more important when you're getting near the single digits in terms of body fat and every calorie in and out truly starts to count.

In the end you have to think of it this way. The diet is the jackhammer, thats going to get rid of most of the fat (or build muscle if thats your goal). A program like P90X (which actually seems like a pretty good program) is more like a scalpel in that it will build muscle and sculpt your body so when you do loose the desired amount of fat you'll look better as opposed to just starving yourself (which you should never do by the way).

Sorry for the rant it's just that I kind of feel like this needed to be said.

I personally love kettlebells as a cardio hybrid. Much more fun and quicker then running on a treadmill for hours on end. On top of that it not only spares muscle but brings with it the potential to increase it.

They're probably pretty amazing to from an athletic perspective but I'm no longer an athlete. Wish I knew about them though when I was playing football.

Right now I workout with them in 5 minute increments with 40 seconds of work and 20 seconds of rest. Two sets of snatches (one left one right), one set of pull throughs, and two sets of cleans (one left one right).

Actually I would recommend a $50 or $70 kettlebell (heavier kettlebells cost more) before paying the $120 for P90X. I think you could get amazing results with just a kettlebell by itself so long as you're eating right for your bodytype.

Hope you are not talking to me because I am well aware of diet and exercise I was simply saying P90x is not something I believe you could not keep up with for any extended period of time.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #65
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Also, to quote Dirtbag, the most basic way to lose weight is calories in and calories out.

You could exercise your ass off (cardio weight lifting, running, etc.), eat crap and lose weight. You could also not work out a bit and eat correctly and still lose weight. It's just about burning more than you put in your body. Exercise definitely does just that.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #66
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Hope you are not talking to me because I am well aware of diet and exercise I was simply saying P90x is not something I believe you could not keep up with for any extended period of time.
Ha ha, no no. Your use of the word lifestyle inspired my segway. Nothing less, nothing more.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 02-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #67
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Ha ha, no no. Your use of the word lifestyle inspired my segway. Nothing less, nothing more.

No worries I actually meant to come back here to apologize. I have had a tough morning of juggling work and my son's ear appointment but still found time to be an ass on here, LOL!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #68
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
No worries I actually meant to come back here to apologize. I have had a tough morning of juggling work and my son's ear appointment but still found time to be an ass on here, LOL!
Lol, when were you an ass? You asked a legitimate question. Anyway like you said, no worries.

- FRPLG
Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #69
MTK
\m/

7 days in to the Power 90 program and I'm feeling pretty good. The workouts aren't overly difficult but you definitely work up a good sweat. If you can commit to anything 6 days per week you're bound to see some results.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #70
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
7 days in to the Power 90 program and I'm feeling pretty good. The workouts aren't overly difficult but you definitely work up a good sweat. If you can commit to anything 6 days per week you're bound to see some results.

My shoveling of the Blizzards of 2010 derailed me a bit with my current workout for that week. I was so damn sore from shoveling. hopefully you don't have much shoveling to do that it interferes with power 90. In the end you are still burning calories.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #71
MTK
\m/

Luckily for me snow removal is included as part of my HOA dues.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #72
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Luckily for me snow removal is included as part of my HOA dues.

Oh the same for all of my older neighbors as well because they guilt me into doing it.

that is a nice perk considering where you live, usually you get perks like that in a Florida HOA.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #73
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I was in a minor accident and cant start p90x for about another month or so. Really pissed off about it, but ill postwhen i start to let everyone know about it

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:15 AM   #74
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
I decided to blog about it to help keep me motivated.

My Power 90 Blog
i've been off the computer for a few days, whats up with that past two days? just ordered power 90 last night see what happens when it shows up got 33 and a half months til the beach, they really try and slam you with a whole bunch of bs when you are finishing your order too huh, that was kind of irritating

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #75
MTK
\m/

Thursday was off day, I was back at it last night just forgot to blog afterwards.

Yeah it was annoying how they try to up-sell you