Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

JG or GM?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: What Would You Rather Have?
Joe Gibbs 66 84.62%
Proven GM and whoever as HC 12 15.38%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2005, 02:45 PM   #61
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Re: JG or GM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
Your way off base here, a few play's? Did we give up everything for a few plays for Portis? If your going to make comparisons then get them right, Joe Washington was a third down back, we had a player taking the bulk of the handoff's his name was John Riggins, perhaps you heard of him? In Gibbs system as it stands Portis is a 3rd down back he will never last if we contiue to use him as he was last year, that's why JW wasen't a featured back.

If your not going to build your offense around a particular player and take advantage of his abilities, then you don't give up Champ, a second rd. pick, and 50 mil for him, it's that simple!
I still dont get it!!! Why do people on here still insist that Champ would still be here, the FO didnt really want to get rid of him, the FO made an offer and he didnt like it. Also he did not want to be on the team any more. Champ got sick of having a different deffenseive coordinator every year, hell I am surprised that Arrington is even still with us. Anyhow, to make a long story short, the Redskins were going to loose Champ Bailey no matter what!!!!

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #62
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Redskins - he's saying it was a waste of a trade if we don't use Portis correctly, which I agree with. Granted Bailey didnt want to be here, but we could have shipped him to a lot of places for great players!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:45 PM   #63
diehardskin2982
Another Year, another mess.

I think we need a gm because everyone need help.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #64
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Seriously, we should just hire someone that we call GM and lives in an Emerald Palace. That would seriously satisfy some people.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:05 PM   #65
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
Seriously, we should just hire someone that we call GM and lives in an Emerald Palace. That would seriously satisfy some people.
I've decided to go ahead and give myself the title of General Manager....now about that Emerald Palace
Old 04-26-2005, 10:01 PM   #66
RedskinsJunkie
Special Teams

Gibbs, and lose the DANNY...
Old 04-27-2005, 12:46 AM   #67
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Your way off base here, a few play's? Did we give up everything for a few plays for Portis? If your going to make comparisons then get them right, Joe Washington was a third down back, we had a player taking the bulk of the handoff's his name was John Riggins, perhaps you heard of him? In Gibbs system as it stands Portis is a 3rd down back he will never last if we contiue to use him as he was last year, that's why JW wasen't a featured back.

If your not going to build your offense around a particular player and take advantage of his abilities, then you don't give up Champ, a second rd. pick, and 50 mil for him, it's that simple!
We didn't give up Champ Bailey...Champ WANTED to leave - get it straight!

Don't be so condescending! I have not said to bring Portis in for just a few plays - I said to throw in a few plays that Portis excels in while letting him develop with other running formations that made Joe Gibbs a hall of fame coach. And as I have said which is quite logical and exactly how things were in Gibbs 1.0, put the big guy(s) in on short yardage plays because THAT is what was missing from our offense this past season.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:34 AM   #68
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
I've decided to go ahead and give myself the title of General Manager....now about that Emerald Palace
I think that you would make a fine GM...
Old 04-27-2005, 03:59 AM   #69
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy
We didn't give up Champ Bailey...Champ WANTED to leave - get it straight!

Don't be so condescending! I have not said to bring Portis in for just a few plays - I said to throw in a few plays that Portis excels in while letting him develop with other running formations that made Joe Gibbs a hall of fame coach. And as I have said which is quite logical and exactly how things were in Gibbs 1.0, put the big guy(s) in on short yardage plays because THAT is what was missing from our offense this past season.

NO! We traded Champ because he wanted out that doesn't mean you give a player away? It is absolutly irrelevant why he's out of here, the only thing that matters is what we recieved for him and why. You make it sound as if Denver was the only option, we could have recieved 2 #1's for Champ with a franchise tag, so why give up a 2nd rd pick and Champ for a player who doesn't fit in to what Gibbs runs? Shawn Alexander was available at the time who I wanted and would have fit Gibbs system and wouldn't have cost us more than Champ straight up, and yet we didn't even consider him, we had to have Portis, why? Because Gibbs saw 1600yds and didn't see the scrubs before him who also ran for 1600yds or there abouts in the Denver system, Mike Anderson? Olandis gary? Ruben Droughns? 3 players who were nothing until denver and nothing after they left denver. [Droughns soon to be] he didn't see how Portis obtained those yards and it wasen't power football!

Make up your mind on what's missing is it Jansen, or a power back? You defend Portis because of a pourous line, then you defend Gibbs because we don't have a big back, as if a big back is going to run through unblocked D-linemen. Either he fits the system or he doesn't?
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:57 AM   #70
NY_Skinsfan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Because Gibbs saw 1600yds and didn't see the scrubs before him who also ran for 1600yds or there abouts in the Denver system, Mike Anderson? Olandis gary? Ruben Droughns? 3 players who were nothing until denver and nothing after they left denver. [Droughns soon to be] he didn't see how Portis obtained those yards and it wasen't power football!
Offiss, do you really believe this? Do you truly think that Joe Gibbs, the winner of three superbowl rings, would look at one statistic (1600 yards) and say he's are guy? I think you need to step back and do some research on the type of man Joe Gibbs is....there is a reason why the Redskins won those rings with him as the head coach. Have some faith in the man, one not-so-great season from Portis doesn't mean it won't work out.
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:27 AM   #71
joecrisp
The Starter

I love how some of you arrogantly assume that those of us who support the idea of having a GM don't actually know what a GM is, and propose that we would be easily mollified if, say, the Redskins simply changed Vinny Cerrato's title to "General Manager", or if they simply hired some Shmoe of the street and gave him the same title.

Read this article, and tell me whether the Redskins' current front office setup adequately exemplifies all of the desirable traits ascribed to "good" general managers in this article:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...list121803.htm
joecrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:31 AM   #72
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Skinsfan
Offiss, do you really believe this? Do you truly think that Joe Gibbs, the winner of three superbowl rings, would look at one statistic (1600 yards) and say he's are guy? I think you need to step back and do some research on the type of man Joe Gibbs is....there is a reason why the Redskins won those rings with him as the head coach. Have some faith in the man, one not-so-great season from Portis doesn't mean it won't work out.
I wouldn't say not-so-great. Maybe not-like-his-first-few-years type of season, but he was getting accustomed to new blocking AND new coaching and players and still managed to be one of the top rushers in the league. Granted, his YPC was MUCH lower this year, I blame (here's my excuses ) that on the blocking schemes earlier in the year along with Brunell not giving ANY passing support.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #73
NY_Skinsfan
Impact Rookie

malcolm,

not-so-great, not-like-his-first-years, what's the difference? the point is not to give up on Gibbs...he knows what he is doing. A fan doesn't have the behind the scenes knowledge of what goes on when Gibbs picks a player. We shouldn't be throwing out these lame excuses just because he didn't put us in the playoffs in his first season back. I too blame the blocking schemes, but I also blame the lack of o line (missing jansen), really poor qb play in the beginning of the season, and also, not so much a blame but a reason for the poor record was playcalling ( oh, and let's not forget all the dropped balls). basically it's a little bit of everthing that caused us to come out at 6-10. It's not just the playcalling, it's not just the poor o line, it's not just the qb's fault...it's everything....

I'll be the first to admit I don't know a damn thing about running a football team. I don't really know if it is better to have a GM or not in this situation. So I am just going to sit back and watch my favorite team this year coached by my favorite coach. If it doesn't work out again, oh well, it's not like I will ever stop being a Redskin fan. If that were the case I wouldn't be typing this now after the 13 or so miserable seasons since Gibbs first go 'round. I am not a religious man at all but i do have faith in the fact that Gibbs will get the Redskins back to it's winning ways. He said he would when he came back next year and that's all I need.
NY_Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #74
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Hmmm OK. I really wasn't talking about Gibbs, but since you bring it up I will. I don't have any doubts he will return the team to greatness. I just think that he's human like everyone else and needs some time to get back into the game. He saw what worked and what didn't last year and I think he's going to make the changes necessary to improve the offense for this year (offensive line pickups were a great start).
Old 04-27-2005, 02:30 PM   #75
offiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
Hmmm OK. I really wasn't talking about Gibbs, but since you bring it up I will. I don't have any doubts he will return the team to greatness. I just think that he's human like everyone else and needs some time to get back into the game. He saw what worked and what didn't last year and I think he's going to make the changes necessary to improve the offense for this year (offensive line pickups were a great start).

I have said the same thing quite a few times, that there is a reacclamation process no doubt, 12 years is a long time to have your mind on something else other than football.

My only point has been that he is hindering the team long term with his personel decisions while he goes through this reacclamation process.

I have even stated on occasions all though I was dead set against the Brunell signing there is no way Brunell is as bad as he was last season, and as Gibbs starts getting things right in his head some of these players will start to look like more reasonable signings.

I agree with you MC that we will see a much different, more decisive Gibbs this season how much progress will he show remains to be seen, the one thing that scares me about that is he was so reluctent to make changes last season that where so obvious to most of us, whether or not you supported Gibbs with what he was doing or not, he seems to be very bull headed at times trying to force the issue [Brunell], rather than swallow his pride and move on, hopefully last season will go a long way to improving this season.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote