Redskins No. 1 pick in 2010 NFL Draft

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #61
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Re: Redskins No. 1 pick in 2010 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor View Post
Yeah maybe I starting this thread prematurely but he is a very good quarterback who wll be the top pick in the draft. Last night he did not have any time throw or do anything. He is mobile, smart and has a strong arm. I will take this thread on the chin for now but the season is not over yet and he will become the best quarterback in the country when it's all said and done. Anyone who watched the game last night could see his o-line was freaking horrible in pass protection. The Gamecocks do have one of the best defenses in the country though and Norwood was playing lights out. I'm from SC and I figured we would win, but I thought Snead would have a great game.
We just lost Thomas and don't know how much that will impact the team plus he is like 33 i believe. As you stated in your post above his pass protection was horrible we had o-line issues before Thomas got hurt. How do you think we can block for a rookie QB when we can barely block for our current QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #62
Redskin Warrior
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Thats the thing about JC, he puts up decent numbers in most categories except points so in the end he struggles to win. I think JC is the text book case of the percentages not telling the whole story, JC just isnt a winner.
I think it has been Zorn that has not put JC in a position to takeover to score in the redzone. Then again Thomas & Sellers drops weren't his fault therefore the team should have 14 more points and he should have 2 more TD's.

Quote:
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #63
wilsowilso

Quote:
Yeah maybe I starting this thread prematurely but he is a very good quarterback who wll be the top pick in the draft.
The "top pick" in the draft?

No chance. Zero.

What is he your cousin?
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #64
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Jason Campbell, 2009, to date:
rating 89.0, 12th in the league (so 20 starting qb's are NOT better than him)

completion percentage 68.9%, 6th in league (so 26 starting qb's are NOT better than him)

yards 453, 15th in the league (so 17 starting qb's are NOT better than him)

yards per attempt 7.4, 14th in the league (so 18 starting qb's are NOT better than him)
im am real close to almost ignoring all together this mythical qb rating. JC had a 60-70 qb rating in the giants game for 58 mins, then with the giants up 2 scores with 2 mins to go, JC dinks and dunks his way to a 90 qb rating going 6-6 or 6-7 and a td. im sorry JC did not play well against the giants but i guess if his qb rating at the end of the game is 90, he did?

his yards are decent.

completion percentage - lots of short routes, short completions = higher completion rate. much like shuisham's completion rate 2 years ago, it was only b/c he attempted 3 fg over 50 yds compared to other kickers who would try close to 10

yards per attempt - i like, this is an improvement, and cuts against the short routes completion argument. i really hope this trend continues.

I'm a JC supporter (not believer) but you cant ignore the other stats like 1 td 1 int (or JC's overall td/int career count vs games started) or our 1-1 record (or JCs career W-L record which isnt entirely on the qb). please consider the td came late against the giants in a 2 possession game and the W came from the rams at 9-7.

the stats go both ways for JC, they are there for the supporters and haters.

byron leftwich in that tampa bay offense (w/out bryant) has much better stats than JC right now and he was avail to any team in the offseason.

i hate being sucked into this JC debate but it annoys me when JC has 1 good/decent game you all come out and say "where the haters at now?". but he has a bad game or season and you say "hes learning the system" or "oline sucked" or "its 1 game" when the haters come out.

sorry for yet another JC post . . .man sometimes you cant resist talking about it ad nauseum.

go skins!!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #65
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
Thats the thing about JC, he puts up decent numbers in most categories except points so in the end he struggles to win. I think JC is the text book case of the percentages not telling the whole story, JC just isnt a winner.
I've actually come around to the "dark side" on Campbell after being a consistent supporter since he was drafted. I actually think you are correct about statistics not telling the story with Campbell and I actually think that one of the reasons that guys like GTripp are so hell-bent on insisting that he is a franchise quarterback is because they are "stat guys." That is great, and I read Tripp's stuff on here and on his blog, but I actually have come to believe that he is wrong on Campbell. I think the stats cloud his opinion (which is usually very judicious, but is biased in favor of Campbell) and it is also very difficult to properly evaluate quarterbacks without having access to the coaches tape. There is a subjective element with quarterbacks, more than any other position, that you cannot access through statistical analysis.

The thing I have realized about Campbell after watching him this year is that he lacks a refined sense of timing and anticipation. He has all of the tools, but he too often throws only to open receivers rather than anticipating routes. He also is not very good with the nuances of the position, like manipulating safeties. He is very much like David Garrard in that way. Both have physical tools, both can spin the rock, both actually put up good statistical numbers, but both have inconsistent mechanics, lack timing and anticipation, and are not elite players at the position. Garrard has a QB rating of 84.8 for his career, is a 60% career passer, and has 23 more TDs than INTs, but he is not a very good quarterback (there are actually many QBs that do not possess superior timing and anticipation, but Campbell's deficiencies really crystallized for me when I was watching Garrard last week against Arizona ... for instance you could throw Brady Quinn's name in there, but Quinn is not as good an analogue because his statistics are horrible). Garrard is "just a guy" and that is what Campbell is too. They both are capable of having great games (see Garrard in the 2007 Divisional playoffs or Campbell in the first Cowboys game last year) but neither will do so consistently. Hell, Campbell could light up the Lions defense as he did last year. The bottom line, though, is that while you can probably win some games with Campbell, he will not consistently make your team better.

Campbell's lack of timing/anticipation also leads him to hold the ball too long and I think it is really the heart of the Redskins struggles in the red zone. You can say that Sellers and Thomas dropped TD passes against St. Louis, which is absolutely true, but that does not answer why the Redskins have an endemic problem scoring inside the 20. If Campbell completes those passes it just means that he can defeat a very bad defense, which I expect, but it does not solve the larger issues in his game. Inside the 20 is where the importance of timing and anticipation (I know I am overusing that, but I take it from Greg Cosell and I think it is the best way to describe that quarterback attribute) is heightened due to the condensed field. Campbell has still not shown that ability and with this many snaps in the NFL he probably never will.

I know this post will be read, if it is read at all, as just another attack on Jason Campbell and we know he has taken plenty. I certainly would not want to pile on, and I really like the guy as a person (or at least as the persona that I am familiar with). Not being a great quarterback does not make him a bad person or anything, but it does mean that the Redskins most likely will have to find another solution after this season. On a positive note, it does suggest that the Redskins actually did properly evaluate Campbell in the off-season and were correct to pursue other opportunities, even if the opportunity costs were perhaps too high. Maybe they are not totally clueless after all. Although that does not absolve them of the Devin Thomas and Jason Taylor moves.

As for this thread. Well Snead clearly is not an answer either.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #66
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

SCSkins, I think you make some strong points. And that's all I'm going to say about that
Old 09-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #67
SC Skins Fan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
byron leftwich in that tampa bay offense (w/out bryant) has much better stats than JC right now and he was avail to any team in the offseason.
Leftwich is another good example. The guy has some superior physical tools, namely his arm strength, but he is not a very good quarterback. Everything he does he does slowly, from his drop to his release. That is why he has gotten hurt so much in his career. He is a statue in the pocket and holds the ball too long. Tampa has a good offensive line (though they have now lost Faine for a few weeks) and they have given him time in the pocket. He has also been forced to throw a lot because their defense is horrible. As a result he has put up good statistical numbers, but that does not make him a good quarterback. He is the same player he has always been, which is a guy with superior arm strength, but bad mechanics and an unrefined sense of timing and anticipation. Between the two, Campbell is actually the superior player in my estimation. But you can't get any of that from statistics.

I also like your distinction between JC supporter and JC believer. Good one.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #68
irish
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
I've actually come around to the "dark side" on Campbell after being a consistent supporter since he was drafted. I actually think you are correct about statistics not telling the story with Campbell and I actually think that one of the reasons that guys like GTripp are so hell-bent on insisting that he is a franchise quarterback is because they are "stat guys." That is great, and I read Tripp's stuff on here and on his blog, but I actually have come to believe that he is wrong on Campbell. I think the stats cloud his opinion (which is usually very judicious, but is biased in favor of Campbell) and it is also very difficult to properly evaluate quarterbacks without having access to the coaches tape. There is a subjective element with quarterbacks, more than any other position, that you cannot access through statistical analysis.

The thing I have realized about Campbell after watching him this year is that he lacks a refined sense of timing and anticipation. He has all of the tools, but he too often throws only to open receivers rather than anticipating routes. He also is not very good with the nuances of the position, like manipulating safeties. He is very much like David Garrard in that way. Both have physical tools, both can spin the rock, both actually put up good statistical numbers, but both have inconsistent mechanics, lack timing and anticipation, and are not elite players at the position. Garrard has a QB rating of 84.8 for his career, is a 60% career passer, and has 23 more TDs than INTs, but he is not a very good quarterback (there are actually many QBs that do not possess superior timing and anticipation, but Campbell's deficiencies really crystallized for me when I was watching Garrard last week against Arizona ... for instance you could throw Brady Quinn's name in there, but Quinn is not as good an analogue because his statistics are horrible). Garrard is "just a guy" and that is what Campbell is too. They both are capable of having great games (see Garrard in the 2007 Divisional playoffs or Campbell in the first Cowboys game last year) but neither will do so consistently. Hell, Campbell could light up the Lions defense as he did last year. The bottom line, though, is that while you can probably win some games with Campbell, he will not consistently make your team better.

Campbell's lack of timing/anticipation also leads him to hold the ball too long and I think it is really the heart of the Redskins struggles in the red zone. You can say that Sellers and Thomas dropped TD passes against St. Louis, which is absolutely true, but that does not answer why the Redskins have an endemic problem scoring inside the 20. If Campbell completes those passes it just means that he can defeat a very bad defense, which I expect, but it does not solve the larger issues in his game. Inside the 20 is where the importance of timing and anticipation (I know I am overusing that, but I take it from Greg Cosell and I think it is the best way to describe that quarterback attribute) is heightened due to the condensed field. Campbell has still not shown that ability and with this many snaps in the NFL he probably never will.

I know this post will be read, if it is read at all, as just another attack on Jason Campbell and we know he has taken plenty. I certainly would not want to pile on, and I really like the guy as a person (or at least as the persona that I am familiar with). Not being a great quarterback does not make him a bad person or anything, but it does mean that the Redskins most likely will have to find another solution after this season. On a positive note, it does suggest that the Redskins actually did properly evaluate Campbell in the off-season and were correct to pursue other opportunities, even if the opportunity costs were perhaps too high. Maybe they are not totally clueless after all. Although that does not absolve them of the Devin Thomas and Jason Taylor moves.

As for this thread. Well Snead clearly is not an answer either.
Very good post. I also point out Rothlisberger, his stats arent great but in the end he makes plays and wins games. Last year was the classic example, Pgh had no running game, not much of an O line but somehow BR found a way to keep winning games all the way to the last game in Feb. He wins those games through pocket presence and anticipation which are two things that JC just doesnt have.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #69
over the mountain
Playmaker

yeah real good post SC. you did a really good job of summarizing (atleast imo) how I and im sure others feel. it doesnt have to be so polar, so black and white, so hater or believer on JC. there is a gray area, a middle ground that feels hes decent/good but not a franchise qb that will win you games. JC is our best option this year to win games, i support and cheer him on. i really want the guy to do well given all the criticism hes taken here but its on him.

for the record, i would much much rather have JC over leftwich. i just threw him out there to hint that favorable stats do not automatically equal a great qb.

go skins!!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #70
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I think the point of anticipation is a good one. Question, can that be taught? I think about the failure to step up in game 1, and in game 2 he did a much better job, like Zorn said ok this is how you do it and stressed it enough that there was visible improvement. Can he do the same about "anticipation"?
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #71
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
im am real close to almost ignoring all together this mythical qb rating. JC had a 60-70 qb rating in the giants game for 58 mins, then with the giants up 2 scores with 2 mins to go, JC dinks and dunks his way to a 90 qb rating going 6-6 or 6-7 and a td. im sorry JC did not play well against the giants but i guess if his qb rating at the end of the game is 90, he did?

his yards are decent.

completion percentage - lots of short routes, short completions = higher completion rate. much like shuisham's completion rate 2 years ago, it was only b/c he attempted 3 fg over 50 yds compared to other kickers who would try close to 10

yards per attempt - i like, this is an improvement, and cuts against the short routes completion argument. i really hope this trend continues.

I'm a JC supporter (not believer) but you cant ignore the other stats like 1 td 1 int (or JC's overall td/int career count vs games started) or our 1-1 record (or JCs career W-L record which isnt entirely on the qb). please consider the td came late against the giants in a 2 possession game and the W came from the rams at 9-7.

the stats go both ways for JC, they are there for the supporters and haters.

i hate being sucked into this JC debate but it annoys me when JC has 1 good/decent game you all come out and say "where the haters at now?". but he has a bad game or season and you say "hes learning the system" or "oline sucked" or "its 1 game" when the haters come out.

sorry for yet another JC post . . .man sometimes you cant resist talking about it ad nauseum.

go skins!!
Someone claimed that "anyone" would be better than JC. I was responding to the argument with a counter-claim, backed by some numbers. My claim was no more and no less than that.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #72
wilsowilso

JC does lack nuance in some aspects of the game. I wonder if they have tried to teach him how to manipulate safeties? I'm sure they have tried, but JC really is lacking in that aspect. He doesn't even bother looking off safeties and rarely uses a pump fake.

It's one of Big Ben's biggest assets. That crazy pump fake he uses screws up opposing safeties all day.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #73
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor
Special Teams

Let's just be honest Campbell can only be a good quarterback and not an elite quarterback we want him to be. In the offseason we just need to cut our losses. Campbell is a Gibbs quarterback who is just a game manager. Zorn needs west coast quarterback. When you change your offensive philosophy then you need the roster to make it work. Once we get that particular quarterback and offensive lineman will be alright. It just seems the FO tried to build the outside first instead of building the inside (O-line)and that's why we are behind in the offense.
Sean"Big Hurt"Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #74
ChickenMonkey
Special Teams

Quote:
If you watch ESPN now you will see our future starter at quarterback playing the South Carolina Gamecocks and his name is Jevan Snead.
If thats true, id rather keep Campbell, Sneed looked shaky against South Carolina.....
ChickenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #75
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

I'd rather have Jake Locker than Jevan Snead.

But I'll go on record now and say COLT MCCOY in 2010! We need a winner and he's it! Period!