Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Offensive line depth (R. Thomas' injury)

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Who do you expect to see starting at right guard on Sunday?
Rinehart 95 76.61%
Montgomery 17 13.71%
Armstrong 12 9.68%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #61
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: Offensive line depth (R. Thomas' injury)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Rinehart was a rave the day he was drafted, seemingly after he arived at Redskin Park opinions seemed to change. We shall see. Plus, he's just one player, with age, coupled with other problems along the line, we need to draft more than just one lineman in next years draft.
Certainly, I agree.

Advertisements
Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #62
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
So far they have given up 3 sacks, not bad.

Sacks allowed is just a portion of playing effectively on the O-line. If that was all there is to it, one could say they're a very good O-line, but you and I both know that is far from being acurate.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #63
budw38
Playmaker

Quote:
Every time I here this crap about how if we sustain an injury, we wont be prepared I get pissed off. Name one team in the NFL that can afford to lose there LT. We will be fine. Rinehart will be the starter. Montgomery was active because he plays center and guard in a pinch, like this game. They are as prepared as they could be, they kept 10 Olinemen. What more do you want. Rinehart is young, has a year under his belt and is ready to show us why he was drafted third. If he sucks they will cut him and sign someone else for god sakes. No team, has a team full of second string starters. Last year we had injuries to our RT,RG,LT, what did you expect.
I hear you . Not to rain on your party , but The 2005 Steelers lost G's Faneca , Simmons , C) Hartings , Wr R. EL , Te , Tuman and RD Bettis ,, and repeated in 08 . It is still early in our season , but lets be honest , our offense has been very poor in scoring the last 4-5 years and we seem to bring in WR's / Fb's and TE's , the only constant is OL and QB . We are avg. 1 off / Td per game our last 10 games ?
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #64
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Sacks allowed is just a portion of playing effectively on the O-line. If that was all there is to it, one could say they're a very good O-line, but you and I both know that is far from being accurate.
In my mind our O-line is vastly improved this year. I think Dockery is as good as picking a guard in the first round. Mike Williams will only get better every day, he stays in shape. Last year the Ravens with all there great drafting had to turn to an old man, with a monster beer belly, that was on his couch watching football to play RT. It happens, injuries cannot be prevented. Rinehart will step in next week and play great. He showed that he is capable of that in the preseason. If that does not work, we will put in Batiste. If that fails, there are plenty of guys out there that could fill in.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #65
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budw38 View Post
I hear you . Not to rain on your party , but The 2005 Steelers lost G's Faneca , Simmons , C) Hartings , Wr R. EL , Te , Tuman and RD Bettis ,, and repeated in 08 . It is still early in our season , but lets be honest , our offense has been very poor in scoring the last 4-5 years and we seem to bring in WR's / Fb's and TE's , the only constant is OL and QB . We are avg. 1 off / Td per game our last 10 games ?
Yeah and Rothlisberger was the most sacked QB in the NFL. OK, now the constant is poor QB play. Although, tonight JC threw two nice passes in the red zone that should have been caught.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #66
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
In my mind our O-line is vastly improved this year. I think Dockery is as good as picking a guard in the first round. Mike Williams will only get better every day, he stays in shape. Last year the Ravens with all there great drafting had to turn to an old man, with a monster beer belly, that was on his couch watching football to play RT. It happens, injuries cannot be prevented. Rinehart will step in next week and play great. He showed that he is capable of that in the preseason. If that does not work, we will put in Batiste. If that fails, there are plenty of guys out there that could fill in.
TO I feel you Bro. and I honestly hope you're right about all these guys as you seem to have so much faith in them. However, I feel with a reasonable amount of assurance that at the conclusion of this season the O-line will be a major topic of conversation on this forum. I stated previously, we will all be once again clamoring for the FO to upgrade the OL.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #67
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

I do have faith in Buges to make things work. Also, I think Rinehart will be fine as a guard--he's not a tackle and we've tried to move him out there.

We'll see.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #68
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
TO I feel you Bro. and I honestly hope you're right about all these guys as you seem to have so much faith in them. However, I feel with a reasonable amount of assurance that at the conclusion of this season the O-line will be a major topic of conversation on this forum. I stated previously, we will all be once again clamoring for the FO to upgrade the OL.
I think that at the end of the year we will be saying how good our Oline is, because it will only get better as they gel together. This year we have a young guy to throw in there. Normally, it is a over the hill vet that we put in there. That is an improvement right there. Rinehart is an unknown, maybe a star in the making. This is what the experts have said we didn't have in the past. The young unknown to put in there when a vet goes down. In fact I will say that Randy going down is a blessing in disguise. He has been injured every year he has been here, and we have had to fill his spot or let him play sub par football. I love the guy but he has never been reliable.

Last edited by T.O.Killa; 09-20-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #69
SouperMeister
Playmaker

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Rinehart get his opportunity. Montgomery certainly looked shaky. Has Mike Williams ever played guard, or is he exclusively a tackle?
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #70
T.O.Killa
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Rinehart get his opportunity. Montgomery certainly looked shaky. Has Mike Williams ever played guard, or is he exclusively a tackle?
I think he played some guard in the NFL with Buffalo, but I would say he is a tackle right now.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #71
Ruhskins
Living Legend

So what are our options out there in free agency to bolster the line?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #72
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
So what are our options out there in free agency to bolster the line?
I'm pretty sure that Pete Kendall is available. That's who I'd be calling since he knows the offense.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #73
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Okay, so -- Week 2, our first starter on the O-line goes down.

Can't say we couldn't see this coming. Cerrato's been whistling past the graveyard for years with the O-line. I bet they figured Thomas would last another ten years or so.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #74
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Okay, so -- Week 2, our first starter on the O-line goes down.

Can't say we couldn't see this coming. Cerrato's been whistling past the graveyard for years with the O-line. I bet they figured Thomas would last another ten years or so.
Though I think we probably have some good choices with Montgomery and Rinehart...what better way to develop your young players than having them actually play.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #75
Longtimefan
Playmaker

Quote:
I think that at the end of the year we will be saying how good our Oline is, because it will only get better as they gel together. This year we have a young guy to throw in there. Normally, it is a over the hill vet that we put in there. That is an improvement right there. Rinehart is an unknown, maybe a star in the making. This is what the experts have said we didn't have in the past. The young unknown to put in there when a vet goes down. In fact I will say that Randy going down is a blessing in disguise. He has been injured every year he has been here, and we have had to fill his spot or let him play sub par football. I love the guy but he has never been reliable.

I must say I have the maximum admiration for your optimism. There's no fault in that.