Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Parking Lot

Old 04-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #61
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Re: Solid Snake Hates: Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
he didnt want the hassle of selling himself, and was just looking to unload it.
he could've listed it on CL and gotten twice the money that very day

unless people were skeptical why it was so low

let me know when he has a garage sale.. or another car
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #62
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
That's called being a retard. Who sells a car without looking at the blue book value?
Hell I sold a truck with over 210,000 that would not even start for $600.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #63
firstdown
Living Legend

Tell your buddy I have a slightly used tooth brush I'll let go for a good deal.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #64
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Maybe so, but doing due diligence to find out what your car is worth isn't that hard, and if he was willing to sell it like that, you can't blame CarMax for taking advantage of it. You can get blue book, at least the ball park figure, from the bank, library or online fairly easily.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #65
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:

They probably offered him that amount because of their inventory, if they are load up on a certain type of car that has low demand they will offer you a ridiculously low number in hopes you either bite which means they will jus tbring it to auction or you take your car somewhere else. Kelly Blue book is just one of the factors they use in determining what they will give you.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:35 AM   #66
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Violence may not be the best option, but it's still an option. Look up chemical moltov cocktail. It's basically sulfuric acid and potassium chlorate. The good thing is that no one will see the bottle being lit, just throw and go. You're not going to win against them any other way. They'll just line the pockets of the local county board, then they'll import cheap sweat shop BS to undercut Americans. I saw the same thing happen in Ashland. Now they want to put one up on a civil war battle field.
Was just shown this in a Business Ethics class:

Store Wars: When Wal-Mart Comes to Town - A Review

I don't have anything nice to say about it, so I won't say anything at all.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #67
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

we watched a similar thing when i was in economics during my college years. The documentary that was brand new at that time was called "WalMart: The High Cost of Low Prices".
Old 04-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #68
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

lol Schneed I dont fear change. In fact I love change, but I value things likes cultures, new ways of thought, etc. What exactly does Walmart have to offer? A culture of low prices, lol?

Sure some people care only about price, and I do too for certain products. However I rather get a real pizza from a place that has been around for 10 plus years and has really developed a good product. A good product to me is not just price, but quality. And Schneed, as someone who understands consumer preferences, I would hope you know that each consumer has his/her own preferences. Part of my utility curve accounts for these "intangibles"

I guess I am an outlier, but that doesnt mean I am getting attached. I just am willing to pay extra for what I want. Also if you note I clearly said I dont care about how they treat their employees.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #69
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Forbes Top 20 Companies

Photo: Wal-Mart

1. Wal-Mart Stores
Revenues ($ millions): 408,214.0
CEO: Michael T. Duke

The mega-retailer didn't have a whole lot to complain about in fiscal 2010. Profits were up and, thanks to its sales, the company once again climbed to the top of the Fortune 500. Same-store sales were about flat for the year, but compared with Target's 2.5% decline, flat is good.

Most remarkable was Wal-Mart's image overhaul. It helped that former CEO Lee Scott beefed up health care coverage for employees, thought more about the environment and became a public presence. Certain critics will never be placated and fiscal first-quarter results weren't the greatest. But there's no denying Scott left new CEO Mike Duke a company in fighting form.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #70
firstdown
Living Legend

I'd like to know what type of Mom & Pop stores that Wall Mart is running out of business because I hear that arguement all the time.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #71
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I'd like to know what type of Mom & Pop stores that Wall Mart is running out of business because I hear that arguement all the time.
Down in Atmore, there's a store called "Joe's Grocery". It's been there probably 35 years...ran by an older man and his son's family. They know everyone that comes there, have kids' pictures up on their bulletin board, stuff like that.

Probably everybody worked there at 1 time while they were in high school, etc.

If Walmart ever came to town, it would be out of business, and that's how walmart wants it.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #72
hooskins

Well first, lets figure this out by analyzing Walmart. All of Walmart's products are provided at a very low cost to consumers. And Walmart sells anything and everything.

Any store that sells food, clothes, medicines, supplies, electronics, etc. So any store.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #73
hooskins

Any store will be "run out" of business.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #74
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Down in Atmore, there's a store called "Joe's Grocery". It's been there probably 35 years...ran by an older man and his son's family. They know everyone that comes there, have kids' pictures up on their bulletin board, stuff like that.

Probably everybody worked there at 1 time while they were in high school, etc.

If Walmart ever came to town, it would be out of business, and that's how walmart wants it.
You say that, but they'd be out of business because that's how the townspeople want it. It's en vogue right now to hate on Wal-Mart, but people vote with their feet everyday, and they're taking their asses to Wal-Mart. There's nothing wrong with that, people just can't have it both ways.

This whole, Wal-Mart ends small businesses argument is getting really old. Just don't go to the Wal-Mart, go to the smaller store. It's not really that difficult. If that's your concern, go to Joe's Grocery and not Wal-Mart. If it's really that big of a deal to the rest of the community, they wouldn't go to Wal-Mart either.

It's not Wal-Mart's fault that they can offer a lower price.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #75
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
lol Schneed I dont fear change. In fact I love change, but I value things likes cultures, new ways of thought, etc. What exactly does Walmart have to offer? A culture of low prices, lol?

Sure some people care only about price, and I do too for certain products. However I rather get a real pizza from a place that has been around for 10 plus years and has really developed a good product. A good product to me is not just price, but quality. And Schneed, as someone who understands consumer preferences, I would hope you know that each consumer has his/her own preferences. Part of my utility curve accounts for these "intangibles"

I guess I am an outlier, but that doesnt mean I am getting attached. I just am willing to pay extra for what I want. Also if you note I clearly said I dont care about how they treat their employees.
Yeah, I wasn't just addressing you, I was responding to a few posts from a few people, so not all of that applied to you.

I get what you're saying, sometimes I like some personal attention when I go to buy something too. Like electronics or computer equipment, sometimes I need a few answers. But most of what Wal-Mart sells requires no customer service, the consumer is perfectly capable of self-selecting. Tube socks, frozen pizza, tennis balls, a Justin Bieber CD, etcetera. Nobody needs help with the lion's share of the stuff Wal-Mart sells.