Update: Second Boston Marathon Suspect Captured

Parking Lot

Old 04-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #61
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

re: Update: Second Boston Marathon Suspect Captured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
With any major tragedy info flies around fast and furious. It's awfully hard to weed out all the inaccurate info in the midst of the initial chaos.
Yesterday the NY Post had 12 people dead about an hour after the explosion.

NY Post Criticized Over Coverage Of Boston Bombings

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #62
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yesterday the NY Post had 12 people dead about an hour after the explosion.

NY Post Criticized Over Coverage Of Boston Bombings
The Post is a rag. They definitely give news outlets a bad name with their reporting yesterday.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #63
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
I was watching something the other night about when Reagan got shot. In the intial news reports there was all sorts of misinformation. Some initial reports said he wasn't hit and was ok.

I think most networks were pretty careful yesterday in stressing when reports weren't completely verified.
Yeah, typicially i feel like they say "we are hearing that...." or "weve gotten reports that......".

I think its pretty obvisous when news shows are reporting unconfirmed information. Theres a lot of confusing when something like this happens, as long as a news outlet isnt making things up or offering unfounded specualitive opinion, i think its the right approach.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #64
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I hate to guess, but whats the feeling: Domestic or act of a foreign terrorist? At first, the simultaneous explosion and the reported possible cell phone use to detonate the bomb, possible saudi aprehended lead me to believe your foreign terrorist. But in the back of my mind, patriots day, got me thinking this is domestic.

He Gets Us
Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #65
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I hate to guess, but whats the feeling: Domestic or act of a foreign terrorist? At first, the simultaneous explosion and the reported possible cell phone use to detonate the bomb, possible saudi aprehended lead me to believe your foreign terrorist. But in the back of my mind, patriots day, got me thinking this is domestic.
My guess is domestic.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #66
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Domestic.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #67
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I agree its domestic. It just smells that way.
Cant wait to see who the asshole is that did this.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #68
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I think if it was foreign, they woulda tried something more elaborate with a HE blast wave that woulda taken out many more. It horrible to say, but foreign terrorist are probably not trying to take out store fronts, but the whole building(s).

He Gets Us
Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #69
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
My guess is domestic.

This. I no doubt think it's domestic related.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's some nutcase like all the other public mass murderers that wants his works and glory splattered all over the news. To me, if you have a beef with the government (Abortion clinics/Fed/Congress/President/FBI/CIA/IRS) and thought that violence was the only way to solve the issues, you'd target those areas you had the beef with, not innocent people. Look at the past domestic terrorism and you see they all clearly targeted the people they had issues with.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #70
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Bombings always seem to have a domestic feel to them, though I know that's not always the case.

Reminds me of the ATL Olympic Park bombing back in the 90s.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #71
That Guy
Living Legend

A trained terrorist would have set a second blast in the same spot as the first to nail all the first responders too... and they would have blasted the opening of the race with the higher density of people... the bomb locations were pretty bad for someone trying to kill a ton of people.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't domestic.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #72
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
This. I no doubt think it's domestic related.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's some nutcase like all the other public mass murderers that wants his works and glory splattered all over the news. To me, if you have a beef with the government (Abortion clinics/Fed/Congress/President/FBI/CIA/IRS) and thought that violence was the only way to solve the issues, you'd target those areas you had the beef with, not innocent people. Look at the past domestic terrorism and you see they all clearly targeted the people they had issues with.

I agree with some of this.

It feels domestic to me, BUT attacks on random innocent people as opposed to govt offices, corporate headquarters, laborites, or important persons makes it feel a lot different to me. It makes me feel like it was just one crazy guy or perhaps a very small group acting distinctly and independent to whatever group they will be one day tied with.

And because i think it was only a person or 2 i think it could very easily be for any reason. A lonewolf who is mentally ill, far left or far right, considers himself an islamist or sympathises with a anti-America group all seem just as likely.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #73
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I agree with some of this.

It feels domestic to me, BUT attacks on random innocent people as opposed to govt offices, corporate headquarters, laborites, or important persons makes it feel a lot different to me. It makes me feel like it was just one crazy guy or perhaps a very small group acting distinctly and independent to whatever group they will be one day tied with.

And because i think it was only a person or 2 i think it could very easily be for any reason. A lonewolf who is mentally ill, far left or far right, considers himself an islamist or sympathises with a anti-America group all seem just as likely.

So exactly what part didn't you agree with? I said I thought this would probably be just like the other mass murderers that have happened. Politically motivated attacks generally focus on the group they have issues with.

Why does it have to be a Islamic or "anti-American" group? Eric Rudolph very much prided himself in being a "American" and bombed abortion clinics and the Atlanta Olympics. To him, he was doing "gods work" by stopping the murder of innocent babies.......by murdering innocent doctors/nurses. Timothy McVeigh wasn't Islamic or sympathize with islamic terrorist groups.

Just a note about the Atlanta Olympics bombing, Rudolph has made a statement that the bomb was intended for a specific target, and with dated timers and explosives he was working with, it created more damage than what he intended. He even went on to apologize to the people he hurt indirectly. That said, he's still ****ed in the head.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #74
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
A trained terrorist would have set a second blast in the same spot as the first to nail all the first responders too... and they would have blasted the opening of the race with the higher density of people... the bomb locations were pretty bad for someone trying to kill a ton of people.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't domestic.
I thought this too. It made me almost feel like maybe the attacker was trying to make a point more so than kill as many people as possible.

Although it may be much harder for a person to place bombs at that location as the Boston Marathon starts off in a small country town and the runners gather in a park waiting to run. You might have to have a bib on or a pass to get close to where the runners are waiting and there may not be any hiding spots or trash cans to place your bombs. If you are acting alone and trying to pass off as a runner it may be impossible to get one bomb sized devise into the area, let alone two, when wearing minimul clothing. Often there are checkins and security at the start of the race, while little to no security throughout a race or at spectator spots.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #75
mredskins
Gamebreaker

it is a pretty crazy scene at the end of a marathon I can't imagine how crazy it was yesterday. Medical folks still had to help those runners that need assistance plus the bomb victims.